Pay for fastpass?

Tinkershelly

Original Poster
I just read this in the 2006 Birnbaum's WDW for kids by kids. "Fastpass is usually free for guests staying at deluxe Walt Disney World hotels. Other guests may have to pay for it in 2006." This book was released for this year and copyrighted in 2005. I don't believe that the FP policy has been changed but has anyone heard that this may happen? I wouldn't have bothered posting this but the Birnbaum guides are the Official Guides for WDW.

Richie248

Interesting...I always thought we would eventually have to pay for this service, but I seem doubtful that it will only be free for those staying at a Deluxe resort. It's such a well advertised perk for staying on site. But considering the source, I guess it's possible.

napnet

I highly doubt it. Look how well it worked for Universal and Six Flags... blech.

Ive also said that with Fast Pass, Disney makes more money. When guests are not in line they are potentially buying, eating or drinking items. Why charge for the Fast Pass and tie up guests from potentially purchasing more profitable goods?

wvugeoggrad

I hope that never comes true. Unfortunately Universal Orlando is now making their everyday guests pay for their express pass. They used to have machines all over the park that anyone could use for free but recently took them out. If you stay at one of their three hotels you get a front of the line pass but if not you have to pay for it and its around $20-$30 depending on the day (ex. weekday/weekend).

jonesenon4

i think they will keep the standard fp thats in place now.:sohappy: however i wouldnt mind a charge for a permanent fp on your ticket like the hopper option or wp & fun option only available to guest staying on disney property.it would be easy to implement,just have a different color room key for those with fp option show room key head to front of line allday.:sohappy:

timoteo

napnet said:
I highly doubt it. Look how well it worked for Universal and Six Flags... blech.

Ive also said that with Fast Pass, Disney makes more money. When guests are not in line they are potentially buying, eating or drinking items. Why charge for the Fast Pass and tie up guests from potentially purchasing more profitable goods?

I would agree with the above. Disney uses fastpass for crowd control, and moving people thru the parks. This is pretty well known. We also know posted wait times are somewhat manipulated to this end as well.To then charge for people to not stand in line while they buy dole whips, ice cream, popcorn, T-shirts would be pretty, pretty, pretty bad. I think that might get a negative reaction if they do that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The information in the guide is incorrect. I don't know if was a misprint or put in to try and be up to date when the book was published.

There was a rumor prompted by a patent application Disney put regarding a number of fast pass scenarios. Some of which involved paying for fast passes and different benefits depending on your resort level. From what I have heard there are no current plans to radically modify the current fast pass system.

kennygman

jonesenon4 said:
i think they will keep the standard fp thats in place now.:sohappy: however i wouldnt mind a charge for a permanent fp on your ticket like the hopper option or wp & fun option only available to guest staying on disney property.it would be easy to implement,just have a different color room key for those with fp option show room key head to front of line allday.:sohappy:

I could see something like this happening some day.

CAPTAIN HOOK

jonesenon4 said:
just have a different color room key for those with fp option show room key head to front of line allday.:sohappy:
While it may be easy to implement - in peak periods I foresee a Standard Line and a Fast Pass with a slightly shorter line. It would be horrendous to operate with two lines running at about the same length.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney charging for FP means they value one guest over another. Which means they are simply another Universal/Six Flags operation. Not gonna happen.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The Birbaums guide is just horrible - it is the bane of many operational areas of WDW's existence. Guests going "But Birbaums said..."

Just.. ugh!

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

I would not trust what the Birnbaums Guide has to say & here is why. They claim that when using WDW Transportation (Monorail, Bus or Boat) you need to show proof of Walt Disney World Resort ID. Well I have been staying on site at WDW since 1998, my family has never been asked to show our Resort ID cards. People who also stay off site take WDW Transporatation so how would they be able to show Resort ID?

KrazyKemp

The Unofficial Guide to WDW says this as well...

Disney has gotten the patent for different perks for those guests who stay in the higher priced hotels, but as of yet, they have not implemented the system.

I wouldn't expect to see it in the parks for a few years yet...

napnet

I could see them offering more fast passes for those who stay at resorts but i doubt the'd ever take them away. Maybe someone who stays at a resort would get 2 passes instead of one.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
napnet said:
I could see them offering more fast passes for those who stay at resorts but i doubt the'd ever take them away. Maybe someone who stays at a resort would get 2 passes instead of one.

That is kinda my understanding of the new system that they have been tinkering with in the backrooms.

Kinda like different levels of Fast-Pass.

mickeyman65

jonesenon4 said:
I love the idea of a fast pass..but this idea turns me off to think that I would have to stay at a pricey resort or buying as a option to get a front of the line ticket. I have always hated that at Disney and Universal that you wait an hour or so to get on a ride then a group of 50 people come through...you move up 50 feet and then a another group of 50 come through...I wish they could do something to the fass pass system to accomadate groups like this.

minnie2000

In Disneyland Paris, we stayed in the Disneyland hotel, and when we checked in we were given about 25 blank fastpasses. These could be used on any ride that used fastpasses. Also, you could get fastpasses the normal way in the park.

I think this is a good idea. You get a perk for staying in a Disney hotel, but it doesn't stop anyone else from benefitting from the fast pass system. I don't like the idea of paying for them, or that they would only be available in the most expensive resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom