Pay for fastpass?

Nansafan

That's a common line in our family, "Birnbaum's isn't always right." But to defend the "show the ID thing". In 1993 we did have to show our resort ID on the buses returning to the resort and the boat from the MK back to the Poly. By stating that you might have to show ID, they are just warning the reader.

SaratogaSlabes

HauntedPirate said:
Disney charging for FP means they value one guest over another. Which means they are simply another Universal/Six Flags operation. Not gonna happen.

I certainly hope this doesn't happen, but I'm not sure how charging for FP means Disney values some people more than others? Wouldn't this logic mean that concepts such as EE & EMH mean Disney favors certain guests over others, namely those who paid to stay on property over those who didn't? Or what about the Illuminations cruises. Isn't Disney considering valuing the folks who paid for the cruise more than those who didn't since those who didn't don't get on the cruise?

Like I said, I hope they don't charge for FP. But if they do, it's not a dramatic statement of change. Disney already offers "extras" for those willing to pay for them, just like any business. Heck, from day 1 they've been "favoring" certain guests over others. Those who paid for admission to the parks were favored over those who didn't pay for admission by being allowed to enter. Those who don't pay don't get in.

jozzmenia

wvugeoggrad said:
I hope that never comes true. Unfortunately Universal Orlando is now making their everyday guests pay for their express pass. They used to have machines all over the park that anyone could use for free but recently took them out. If you stay at one of their three hotels you get a front of the line pass but if not you have to pay for it and its around $20-$30 depending on the day (ex. weekday/weekend).

Yep I just bought them online from Universal for one of our days this weekend (I like to do disney AND universal). since it's memorial day i bought them b/c i hate lines :dazzle: but guess how much they are per person on the holidays?...
$50 bucks!

[grumble grumble grumble] :mad:

That's my punishment for impatience...:(

jozzmenia

SaratogaSlabes said:
I certainly hope this doesn't happen, but I'm not sure how charging for FP means Disney values some people more than others? Wouldn't this logic mean that concepts such as EE & EMH mean Disney favors certain guests over others, namely those who paid to stay on property over those who didn't? Or what about the Illuminations cruises. Isn't Disney considering valuing the folks who paid for the cruise more than those who didn't since those who didn't don't get on the cruise?

Like I said, I hope they don't charge for FP. But if they do, it's not a dramatic statement of change. Disney already offers "extras" for those willing to pay for them, just like any business. Heck, from day 1 they've been "favoring" certain guests over others. Those who paid for admission to the parks were favored over those who didn't pay for admission by being allowed to enter. Those who don't pay don't get in.

I think it DOES mean Disney favors one guest over another, but what's wrong with that? I mean really, are we going to say that people who stay at Grand Floridian or Beach Club Villas don't get better service than those at the All-Star Resorts? More money gets more respect. Disney isn't THAT much different than the real world, let's not kid ourselves.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The biggest problem with all of these scenarios is the sheer volume of guests visiting the parks each day, along with the tremendous capacity of the on site resorts. Universal, DLP and the like can have these Fast Pass options because they have fewer guests and even fewer resorts.

Look at the current fast pass situation. Fast Passes are gone for Soarin by around 3 almost daily. Just last Saturday RnRC was shut down to Fast Pass only around 2 hours before MGM closed.

If you were to throw in multiple Fast Pass options connected to resort level, extra fee front of the line passes etc and you will see Fast Pass lines longer than standby lines completely defeating the purpose or making the parks less enjoyable unless you stay on-site. Much like Universal is now. The current fast pass system at Universal is one of the main reasons I have not been to US in several years.

jozzmenia

Master Yoda said:
The biggest problem with all of these scenarios is the sheer volume of guests visiting the parks each day, along with the tremendous capacity of the on site resorts. Universal, DLP and the like can have these Fast Pass options because they have fewer guests and even fewer resorts.

Look at the current fast pass situation. Fast Passes are gone for Soarin by around 3 almost daily. Just last Saturday RnRC was shut down to Fast Pass only around 2 hours before MGM closed.

If you were to throw in multiple Fast Pass options connected to resort level, extra fee front of the line passes etc and you will see Fast Pass lines longer than standby lines completely defeating the purpose or making the parks less enjoyable unless you stay on-site. Much like Universal is now. The current fast pass system at Universal is one of the main reasons I have not been to US in several years.

I'm not sure if I agree or not because I don't understand what you're saying. What's the problem with Universal's Fast Pass system? I went before they eliminated the free pass system for non-resort guests, where u scan your ticket and get an assigned time like disney's system. that was pretty cool. but i also like the concept of paying for one because even though it's a pain in the butt and the wallet, since they only sell a set amount and since it costs, it translates into shorter lines...right??? :veryconfu

MissK

Don't you have to pay to use Universal's FastPass system now?

I can see Disney making different levels of FastPass but to completely get rid of it for Day Customers and/or make it paying only would only damage them I think.

jozzmenia

MissK said:
Don't you have to pay to use Universal's FastPass system now?

I can see Disney making different levels of FastPass but to completely get rid of it for Day Customers and/or make it paying only would only damage them I think.

yes u pay unless youre a resort guest. i'm hoping it means shorter lines.

but how can u have different levels of fast pass? :confused:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
jozzmenia said:
I'm not sure if I agree or not because I don't understand what you're saying. What's the problem with Universal's Fast Pass system? I went before they eliminated the free pass system for non-resort guests, where u scan your ticket and get an assigned time like disney's system. that was pretty cool. but i also like the concept of paying for one because even though it's a pain in the butt and the wallet, since they only sell a set amount and since it costs, it translates into shorter lines...right??? :veryconfu
The biggest problem with Universals fast pass system is it makes for shorter fast pass lines and longer standby lines. If there is even moderate attendance at the parks the standby lines become very long. This results in the fact that you pretty much have to stay at a Universal resort or shell out anywhere from $20-50 for their fast pass in order to enjoy the parks and not spend all day waiting in line. Universals resorts are IMHO are way overpriced (last check was $229 per night at the Royal Pacific) even by Disney standards and with a family of 5 I would have to shell out a minimum of $100 per day in fast passes if I did not stay there. That translates into me as well as many others not going to Universal.

Now lets take a look at implementing the same program at WDW. If I am not mistaken there are 22 resorts on property compared to Universals 3. If all those resort guests received special fast pass privileges the fast pass line would be overwhelmed. So the next thing would be to modify fast pass privileges based on resort category. Again same thing will happen maybe not as bad but it will happen. You will also create a situation just like at Universal where in order to really enjoy the park you will have to stay on property. This eliminates locals, Florida residents on day trips and people that simply can't afford $80 and up for a room.

Bottom line it is bad for business. IMHO The current fast pass system at WDW works and works well. You resort level should effect your resort stay not your park experience. Park experience should be the same for everyone not better for the haves and worse for the have nots.

MissK

jozzmenia said:
but how can u have different levels of fast pass? :confused:

The only way I can see of a different "level" system of fast pass was if Disney did something where resort guests get preferential treatment, like more of a leeway between the time you're able to get another fast pass and/or something like Universal does now with the front of the line thing. I don't really agree with the front of the line jump however.

Another way would be having people at the different resort levels get different levels of fast pass (quicker return times, more fp in general) but I don't agree with this either as I think the price differences in regards to resorts should stay RESORT ONLY and not affect how you go to the park.

jozzmenia

Master Yoda said:
The biggest problem with Universals fast pass system is it makes for shorter fast pass lines and longer standby lines. If there is even moderate attendance at the parks the standby lines become very long. This results in the fact that you pretty much have to stay at a Universal resort or shell out anywhere from $20-50 for their fast pass in order to enjoy the parks and not spend all day waiting in line. Universals resorts are IMHO are way overpriced (last check was $229 per night at the Royal Pacific) even by Disney standards and with a family of 5 I would have to shell out a minimum of $100 per day in fast passes if I did not stay there. That translates into me as well as many others not going to Universal.

Now lets take a look at implementing the same program at WDW. If I am not mistaken there are 22 resorts on property compared to Universals 3. If all those resort guests received special fast pass privileges the fast pass line would be overwhelmed. So the next thing would be to modify fast pass privileges based on resort category. Again same thing will happen maybe not as bad but it will happen. You will also create a situation just like at Universal where in order to really enjoy the park you will have to stay on property. This eliminates locals, Florida residents on day trips and people that simply can't afford $80 and up for a room.

Bottom line it is bad for business. IMHO The current fast pass system at WDW works and works well. You resort level should effect your resort stay not your park experience. Park experience should be the same for everyone not better for the haves and worse for the have nots.

I see what you're saying. I guess it depends on how u look at it. I feel like even though I paid for express passes, I'm one of the have nots. I's the same at Disney, better for the "haves" who can afford to stay on-site. Not "have-nots" like me. Since I'm only paying $36 a night for a hotel, no fast pass for me. I like universal's system b/c i can get the pass without paying $229 a night. so it's worth $35 for a ticket since i save about $190 a night :eek:. I wish they had that option at Disney.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
jozzmenia said:
I see what you're saying. I guess it depends on how u look at it. I feel like even though I paid for express passes, I'm one of the have nots. I's the same at Disney, better for the "haves" who can afford to stay on-site. Not "have-nots" like me. Since I'm only paying $36 a night for a hotel, no fast pass for me. I like universal's system b/c i can get the pass without paying $229 a night. so it's worth $35 for a ticket since i save about $190 a night :eek:. I wish they had that option at Disney.
Under Disney's current system the fast passes are free. There is no increased fast pass benefit for staying at a WDW resort. Free fast passes are no longer available Universal. You have to buy it at an average cost of $20-$30 per day or stay at one of there 3 resorts.

jozzmenia

Master Yoda said:
Under Disney's current system the fast passes are free. There is no increased fast pass benefit for staying at a WDW resort. Free fast passes are no longer available Universal. You have to buy it at an average cost of $20-$30 per day or stay at one of there 3 resorts.

my mistake. i thought fast passes were for resort guests.

my main thing though. i like the idea of being able to pay for a shorter wait time. 20-35 bucks isn't something that only millionaires can afford. Resort rates on the other hand...:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom