Passholder Event: Complimentary Advance Screening of the Disney Film John Carter

prberk

Original Poster
From the Passholders (special offers for passholders) page on www.disneyworld.com:

Special Passholder Event: Complimentary Advance Screening of the Disney Film John Carter

Passholders! You're invited to an advance screening of the new Disney film John Carter on March 3 and 4, 2012. Enjoy a special opportunity to see this much-anticipated film on the big screen and in 3D— before it officially opens to the general public on March 9, 2012!

John Carter is directed by Andrew Stanton—winner of 2 Academy Awards® for Best Picture—and features a cast that includes Taylor Kitsch, Willem Dafoe and Thomas Haden Church. During this epic adventure, you'll follow John Carter as he's inexplicably transported to a new world, and discovers his astonishing new powers. To learn more, view the movie trailer online.

Advance screenings will be held at 10:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. on March 3 and 4, 2012 at Premier Theater, located in the Backlot of Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park at Walt Disney World Resort.

Reserve Tickets
To attend an advance screening,
reserve your tickets online today.
Reservations are only available online.

Please note: This is a 3D, large-screen presentation. Though rated PG-13, this film may be too intense for younger viewers.

Important Details

Valid Theme Park admission required
Valid Passholder ID required.
Subject to availability.
Due to limited availability, online reservations are required.
Entertainment and events are subject to change without notice.

Is this a first? And where is the Premiere Theatre in relation to the Studios backlot? Is it normally a different attraction?

WDW1974

Why should I care about this film? I think I'm more interested in the Avengers and that's saying a lot.

I think the next Disney film that really looks good is ... naturally ... Brave.

Kamikaze

Why should I care about this film?

Great story, didn't come from Disney - it was actually written by the creator of Tarzan - and it has franchise potential if the first film performs well.

Why wouldn't you care? I already know the answer to that question, unfortunately.

MissMorrow

I like that Disney is doing this type of thing for their passholders, but I have no desire to see this particular film. I know nothing about the story, only seen the trailer which makes it look like Avatar meets Prince of Persia! Not really my type of film, although I liked Prince of Persia.

MarkTwain

Great story, didn't come from Disney - it was actually written by the creator of Tarzan - and it has franchise potential if the first film performs well.

Why wouldn't you care? I already know the answer to that question, unfortunately.

The 100-year-old novel it's based on is one of the earliest science fiction stories ever written, and is considered by many to have launched the sci-fi genre. It's also the live-action debut of Academy Award-winner Andrew Stanton, Pixar brainchild and the director of Wall-e and Finding Nemo. Not to mention its $250 million budget makes it one of the highest-budget films ever made, even beating Avatar. Should be interesting indeed.

That said, even with all that in its favor, Disney's done a fantastically bad job of screwing up its marketing (gee, sounds familiar). With few commercials and a terrible (and too short) Super Bowl spot, the movie seems to have barely registered on the national radar, even with an opening only weeks away. Somehow the Hobbit has more buzz around it than John Carter, and it doesn't come out til December!

It sounds to me that Disney's hoping to pull another "Tangled" and use strong word of mouth to make up for the film's bad marketing. That means lots of early screenings, many of which will likely be free (like this one). If audiences talk about it strongly enough, the film could have legs and last long enough to make a decent profit after a few weeks. Could be tough with a quarter billion budget, though.

So tell your friends. :animwink:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Whether the film is good or not, I agree, $250 million budget and some really snooze-inducing marketing can lead to yet another major bomb for the studio

Rasvar

All of the Saturday screenings are already full. I got the Sunday morning one at 10:00am. Just happened to coincide with my trip.

TalkingHead

The 100-year-old novel it's based on is one of the earliest science fiction stories ever written, and is considered by many to have launched the sci-fi genre.

Truly, one of the worst books I've read as an adult. It's completely populated with two-dimensional characters (and creatures).

From what I gather Burroughs wrote these books because he realized the standards for pulp fiction were so low.

So I'm not terribly optimistic about the film based on the source material.

Of course, the derivative, Lucas-style CGI work doesn't look very impressive, either.

But like you said: At least it has franchise potential.

Rasvar

They should have kept the name John Carter of Mars, though. John Carter is a bit too generic. I'm not sure it won't be a financial bloodbath. It is not the kind of film that is in their wheelhouse. But if I can see it for free, I'll go.

puntagordabob

We are attending on Saturday.... I hope Disney has a winner here..... if it is Good I will certainly spread the word near and far because I Love a good Sci-Fi movie!

JimboJones123

The Disney Studio is an absolute mess.

How many $75 million+ movies do they have to put out that haul in less than they cost?

Prince of Persia
Tron
Tangled
Bolt
Meet the Robinson
Pirates 2
Pirates 3
Mars Needs Moms
Oceans
Sorcerer's Apprentice
G-Force

Don't believe for a minute that that the money making parks aren't having to cover for the studio failures. Just think how bad it must be working for ESPN and covering the rest of the company's messes.

RSoxNo1

Why should I care about this film? I think I'm more interested in the Avengers and that's saying a lot.

I think the next Disney film that really looks good is ... naturally ... Brave.

I'm intrigued by The Avengers, and that's the movie that's going to likely help offset the losses of John Carter. I believe there was also talk of an extended Avengers trailer in front of John Carter to help sell tickets. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it's what was shown at the D23 Expo, I haven't seen those clips since.

Edit: I'm also looking forward to Wreck it Ralph, probably moreso than John Carter, The Avengers or Brave.

WDW1974

I'm well aware of the film, Andrew's role and the source material and ... I still want to know what makes this something I should be interested in.

The trailers I have seen make this look like just about every CGI film that's come out in the last 3-4 years with almost no plot and battle scenes that look as fake as they are.

I have no interest at all.

Give me a film like The Muppets with characters I care about and heart.

Avengers looks no better, but I'm not a Marvel fanboi.

Cosmic Commando

The Disney Studio is an absolute mess.

How many $75 million+ movies do they have to put out that haul in less than they cost?

Prince of Persia
Tron
Tangled
Bolt
Meet the Robinson
Pirates 2
Pirates 3
Mars Needs Moms
Oceans
Sorcerer's Apprentice
G-Force

Don't believe for a minute that that the money making parks aren't having to cover for the studio failures. Just think how bad it must be working for ESPN and covering the rest of the company's messes.

Are you just naming movies?

Tron made $400M worldwide.
Tangled made $600M worldwide and is still moving a TON of merch.
Bolt made $300M worldwide.
Pirates 2 made $1B with a B worldwide.
Pirates 3 made $950M+ worldwide.
G-Force even made $300M worldwide.

MMFanCipher

Sorry, but I happen to like the stories. Yes, by the time you get to The Synthetic Men of Mars John Carter can do no wrong. That's why, in my opinion, Burroughs switched to telling this story from the point of view of a Red Martian and not John Carter. John Carter (A Princess of Mars) has a good adventure story and a plausible love story. It should be a win, win. I'll have to wait and see if "Hollywood" screws up another good story.

Kevin_W

I'm with you on the bland title/marketing. I think I had heard the name once before seeing the Superbowl commercial, and I had no knowledge it was a big budget sci-fi movie. (Admittedly, I have a 3-yr-old so I don't keep nearly as current on movies as I used to.)

On topic - I think the screening idea at DHS is pretty cool. If I lived nearby I'd try to get in.

mwebb4

I'll be there Saturday at 6:00pm

This happen to coincide with a scheduled trip for me but it's actually my type of movie. I'm very happy to have the chance to screen it early and the price doesn't hurt either. With that said I don't get Disney's marketing plan for this movie. Until spending tens of millions on the supper bowl commercials no one even knew this movie existed. I'm pretty sure I've saw more commercials and fan fare for the re release of Beauty and the Beast "3D" and even for the Lady and the Tramp Blu-ray.

On a different note we see everything Disney releases in the theaters and I don't see good things from Brave either. My 7 year old son says there is no way I'm going to see that movie.

With that said I'll enjoy viewing John Carter and tell my friends and family what I think and will also try to drag my son to see Brave hoping it will win him over. I think it looks funny. :animwink:

Mickey_777

The boring promo's are not helping this movie IMO. To me it looks like a half 10,000 BC half Avatar type deal. I'd definitely watch it for free though :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom