Parks Noticeably slower this Father's Day Weekend

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
This is for my own edification btw; my gut feeling is that there might be a cross-roads here on lower attendance, pricing strategy, consumer confidence, and uncertainty, etc. I really appreciate the feedback here b/c I'm a little rusty, and many characteristics unique to Disney.
My thoughts are a slower Summer/Fall followed by some decent discounts by next Spring......all after Shanghai settles...

I was unaware of "Laggard Effect". I just learned something new!
Econ/Finance background showing through.......it is amazing how many different disciplines use that bell curve: Econ, Finance, Marketing, Statistics, etc...

SorcererMC

Guys, I think I'm onto something :cool:....the Harvard Business Review has an article on medium-term planning....a couple excerpts that I think are prescient for Disney:
  • "As managers deal with delivering short-term results to keep the stock price high and leaders evangelize on the long-term future of the organization, the medium term is all but forgotten. This overlooks one fact of life: Moving from the short term to the long term requires that you successfully negotiate the medium term."
  • [uses Lego as an example] "The company stays on course by doing what is right to build long-term shareholder value and does not compromise its principles and beliefs to meet quarterly numbers. It eschews cutting investment in developing talent or building brands to meet quarterly or annual guidance."
  • "The medium term is where companies are shaped — where they really achieve results and growth."

clemmo

Didn't really notice much of an attendance dip at Epcot probably because of frozen, but here at the DAK it is empty today

Minnesota disney fan

Yeah that's the frustrating part. She's so nice and helpful though. It will be our first time on DCL and she really is giving me such great advice, and with the cruise once you book there is really nothing to do anyway..that I would need her to change.
The WDW part is strange bc I've always done it myself. Not bad, just strange, and like I said..scarier to trust someone else to find you a discount when/if they get released.

I'm going through the same thing, 21stamps! I booked with my TA a while back and without a room discount. I just asked her if any have shown up yet. She got right back to me and said not for my time or resort, but she is checking. She also scheduled a "get caught up" visit next week. I really trust her to get us a great deal; she has done it before. She always goes out of her way to look for specials for us an never gives up! I hope it works out for you! Love those discounts.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Didn't really notice much of an attendance dip at Epcot probably because of frozen, but here at the DAK it is empty today
Your post made me realize a couple of things I omitted when starting this thread.

1) We only went to MK Saturday, after lunch at Epcot. When we arrived at MK, it wasn't crazy busy, and then thinned out greatly because of rain.
2) Epcot was slow Saturday, but we left 2ish. Sunday A.M. it was really slow.

Both the rain and being at a park early really helped the crowds. With that said, the weekend was way slower than we expected, and thus we have an unbelievable time!!

Last thought - We (mistakenly?) don't gauge our experience when in the World by the crowds at MK, as we generally split our time equally between MK, Epcot, and DHS with AK being part of a hopping day. Your post made me realize what we perceive as slower is partially skewed because of our avoidance of MK Friday - Sunday, unless early A.M. or late in the evening.

Roughly based on our speculation on crowds, here is our generic plan for each day of the week:

Mondays - AK followed by late P.M. MK - this may change now that AK is open late
Tuesdays - MK followed by evening DHS
Wednesdays - Nothing solid...Epcot usually and evening at MK
Thursdays - DHS midday to close
Fridays - DHS A.M. and evening at Epcot
Saturdays - we avoid MK until late, no preference of park, but have to be in one early A.M.
Sundays - Breakfast ressie in a Park, evening at MK

Above is way over-simplified and does not take into consideration trips of 3 days or less, and certainly doesn't cover any changes due to ressies or FPs....

clemmo

Your post made me realize a couple of things I omitted when starting this thread.

1) We only went to MK Saturday, after lunch at Epcot. When we arrived at MK, it wasn't crazy busy, and then thinned out greatly because of rain.
2) Epcot was slow Saturday, but we left 2ish. Sunday A.M. it was really slow.

Both the rain and being at a park early really helped the crowds. With that said, the weekend was way slower than we expected, and thus we have an unbelievable time!!

Last thought - We (mistakenly?) don't gauge our experience when in the World by the crowds at MK, as we generally split our time equally between MK, Epcot, and DHS with AK being part of a hopping day. Your post made me realize what we perceive as slower is partially skewed because of our avoidance of MK Friday - Sunday, unless early A.M. or late in the evening.

Roughly based on our speculation on crowds, here is our generic plan for each day of the week:

Mondays - AK followed by late P.M. MK - this may change now that AK is open late
Tuesdays - MK followed by evening DHS
Wednesdays - Nothing solid...Epcot usually and evening at MK
Thursdays - DHS midday to close
Fridays - DHS A.M. and evening at Epcot
Saturdays - we avoid MK until late, no preference of park, but have to be in one early A.M.
Sundays - Breakfast ressie in a Park, evening at MK

Above is way over-simplified and does not take into consideration trips of 3 days or less, and certainly doesn't cover any changes due to ressies or FPs....
That usually our plan as well we usually save the MK for last and start at DAK. It being summer evening and mornings are probably a good idea as its awful down here right now temps mid 90s and sunny though fall is a way better time with crowds and usually we go all day as the . The DAK was such a fun time with it being empty as you actually had room to walk and admire the nighttime offerings. I don't think there was more than a 30min wait anywhere in DAK yesterday and DINOSAUR was walk on. Looking at the wait times Epcot doesn't seem to have taken a big attendance hit but I really notice it at the DAK and DHS.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
That usually our plan as well we usually save the MK for last and start at DAK. It being summer evening and mornings are probably a good idea as its awful down here right now temps mid 90s and sunny though fall is a way better time with crowds and usually we go all day as the . The DAK was such a fun time with it being empty as you actually had room to walk and admire the nighttime offerings. I don't think there was more than a 30min wait anywhere in DAK yesterday and DINOSAUR was walk on. Looking at the wait times Epcot doesn't seem to have taken a big attendance hit but I really notice it at the DAK and DHS.
Heard that....my guess would be, under those circumstances, we would be spending most of our time at DHS, more time than normal at AK, and still spending late evenings at MK....Epcot would see limited time on the itinerary...

And, keep us posted on the crowds!! Enjoy your trip!!

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Was at three parks yesterday and same for us they were everywhere!!
Maybe the planets were aligned when we were there Father's Weekend.....selfishly/secretly we were hoping the crowd(s) would continue, at least in the short term....

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
During the last earnings call, Iger attributed the drop in attendance to higher prices.... but also said the higher prices was a function to thin the crowds out.

Take that spin for whatever you want.....
Ahhhh... Moving along the Demand curve....price goes up and Quantity Demanded goes down....They are spinning it that way....hope the thinning of crowds continue...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom