Parks Noticeably slower this Father's Day Weekend

Much-Pixie-Dust

It is the economy and the olympics this summer that is killing attendance. Been here since Friday and not seeing any tour groups or aouth American groups.
We always go the 2nd and 3rd week in June and this is the first year that I only saw 1 small tour group from Puerto Rico. It was touring families and maybe the size of 30 people. We saw no other groups in almost 12 days. Usually we see many groups and in much bigger groups.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
The Brazilian economy is in the toilet.
Yes...it typically is feast or famine down there....

I can't complain about them not coming to wdw though. The lines for an attraction shoot up anytime one of their groups goes in an attraction. Not to mention most of them cut in front of you.
Have you ever experienced a domestic tour group? Soccer, Cheerleaders? ALL of them cut in front of you!!

Same, I don't mind foreigners, but from my experience on multiple trips I feel like the fact that they are massive groups they don't care if they bother you.
Neither do the domestic groups....

Amen. The cast needs a break from time to time as well...
They do, and I hope they are able to catch their breath. I wonder if Disney's plan is to lower attendance by raising prices is only temporary? While giving Shanghai attention? Only to follow with many discounts this Fall/Winter?

I was there last week and it was tour groups and crowds galore.
We noticed only a couple of domestic groups, but did not arrive until the weekend (Friday 4:00ish). Again, we were shocked it was only moderately busy, and certainly not packed. Must mention the weather again...it did rain Saturday...

We always go the 2nd and 3rd week in June and this is the first year that I only saw 1 small tour group from Puerto Rico. It was touring families and maybe the size of 30 people. We saw no other groups in almost 12 days. Usually we see many groups and in much bigger groups.
We only saw a couple too...very surprised/pleasantly shocked....

Last edited:

21stamps

I wish this would be true for our week!! It seems like most of the resorts are pretty much full though. I have no idea why, but they've all shown mostly sold out since mid March...for December.

Much-Pixie-Dust

The only American tour groups we saw were a small band and another small cheer group. Their groups were so small though. Some family reunion groups were bigger. We did notice the Brazilian Ambassadors (the ones in the green shirts) standing daily at Blizzard Beach at the locker rental. We were all over the park, and observed no groups. We have been at times when there's about a hundred teenagers to one flag holder (who is only probably a couple of years older than his group) and we were so happy not to see those groups this time. It's been our experience that it's the large teenage groups (both foreign and domestic) that are best to be avoided.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
If we're pricing out the tour groups, bring on the increases.

Did I just say that?
You did...and if the Brazilian economy continues (it will) to tank, the prices are going up anywho

I wish this would be true for our week!! It seems like most of the resorts are pretty much full though. I have no idea why, but they've all shown mostly sold out since mid March...for December.
Keep checking back...stalk the site until your deal appears...it WILL happen

**Stacy**

I was in the area today (Mon June 20th) and I stopped to check out Disney Springs and see if the grab bags have returned to Fun Finds (they have not :() and I needed to replace a Dory antennae topper that disappeared from my car a month ago (I couldn't find Dory toppers anywhere today:() I thought it was pretty busy for a Monday at 3pm, though it was like a ghost town in the new area that looks like an outlet mall. People were carrying Starbucks drinks, but no shopping bags all around DTD.

As far as recent tragedies affecting behavior? There was a family wrangling their 4 y/o ish twins with dog leashes looped around their waists..grandma looked like she was trying to reel in big trophy fish in rough seas while the older kids were trying to direct foot traffic around their chaos..the leashes looked new, but maybe they keep track of the kids like that at home and just bought new blue leashes at WalMart for this trip. To me it just seemed like a last minute solution/over reaction and it was the first time I have seen actual dog leashes used on kids anywhere. I saw about 10 uniformed Sheriff's deputies total in small clusters here and there, but guests did not seem overly alert/worried in their surroundings.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
The only American tour groups we saw were a small band and another small cheer group. Their groups were so small though. Some family reunion groups were bigger. We did notice the Brazilian Ambassadors (the ones in the green shirts) standing daily at Blizzard Beach at the locker rental. We were all over the park, and observed no groups. We have been at times when there's about a hundred teenagers to one flag holder (who is only probably a couple of years older than his group) and we were so happy not to see those groups this time. It's been our experience that it's the large teenage groups (both foreign and domestic) that are best to be avoided.
Forgot about the family reunions....saw a few of those as well and they were well behaved...

21stamps

You did...and if the Brazilian economy continues (it will) to tank, the prices are going up anywho

Keep checking back...stalk the site until your deal appears...it WILL happen
Oh we're already booked.. I was just hoping for a discount to come out later in the summer and save some money. But if monorail resorts are full then I don't know if there will be any discounted rooms. I'm remaining hopeful though :)

21stamps

I was in the area today (Mon June 20th) and I stopped to check out Disney Springs and see if the grab bags have returned to Fun Finds (they have not :() and I needed to replace a Dory antennae topper that disappeared from my car a month ago (I couldn't find Dory toppers anywhere today:() I thought it was pretty busy for a Monday at 3pm, though it was like a ghost town in the new area that looks like an outlet mall. People were carrying Starbucks drinks, but no shopping bags all around DTD.

As far as recent tragedies affecting behavior? There was a family wrangling their 4 y/o ish twins with dog leashes looped around their waists..grandma looked like she was trying to reel in big trophy fish in rough seas while the older kids were trying to direct foot traffic around their chaos..the leashes looked new, but maybe they keep track of the kids like that at home and just bought new blue leashes at WalMart for this trip. To me it just seemed like a last minute solution/over reaction and it was the first time I have seen actual dog leashes used on kids anywhere. I saw about 10 uniformed Sheriff's deputies total in small clusters here and there, but guests did not seem overly alert/worried in their surroundings.
The no bags thing could be tourists shipping stuff home or even back to their resort. I hate carrying bags around so ship everything (most things) when I'm on vacation.

But the leash?!? An actual dog leash??? OMG. That's crazy!!

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Oh we're already booked.. I was just hoping for a discount to come out later in the summer and save some money. But if monorail resorts are full then I don't know if there will be any discounted rooms. I'm remaining hopeful though :)
It is easy to modify your reservation online.....if the discount pops up, jump on it!!

21stamps

It is easy to modify your reservation online.....if the discount pops up, jump on it!!
This is scary for me. I used a TA for the first time, and I'm a control freak who has to place my trust in someone else to snag a discount. Not an easy task for me lol

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
This is scary for me. I used a TA for the first time, and I'm a control freak who has to place my trust in someone else to snag a discount. Not an easy task for me lol
Regardless, make sure you create (if you don't already heave one) a WDW account and link your reservation.....

21stamps

That was the major reason we will not use a ta again because I hated having to go through them to change or even pay on the trip
Yeah that's the frustrating part. She's so nice and helpful though. It will be our first time on DCL and she really is giving me such great advice, and with the cruise once you book there is really nothing to do anyway..that I would need her to change.
The WDW part is strange bc I've always done it myself. Not bad, just strange, and like I said..scarier to trust someone else to find you a discount when/if they get released.

Daveeeeed

Yes...it typically is feast or famine down there....

Have you ever experienced a domestic tour group? Soccer, Cheerleaders? ALL of them cut in front of you!!

Neither do the domestic groups....

They do, and I hope they are able to catch their breath. I wonder if Disney's plan is to lower attendance by raising prices is only temporary? While giving Shanghai attention? Only to follow with many discounts this Fall/Winter?

We noticed only a couple of domestic groups, but did not arrive until the weekend (Friday 4:00ish). Again, we were shocked it was only moderately busy, and certainly not packed. Must mention the weather again...it did rain Saturday...

We only saw a couple too...very surprised/pleasantly shocked....
Oh ya it is any group, but I was just commenting on the groups from South America. I've experienced cheer groups etc. But still I think the Brazilian groups tend to be more rude if you know what I mean.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom