Parking now $11?

mrerk

Premium Member
And also, when I use to have season passes we would go to Downtown Disney and then suddenly get the urge to go to the parks. So, we love walking, we would walk to the resort (which one is that right there? I can't believe I can't remember right now) and wait at the bus station. Then take the bus to whatever park we wanted to go.

So i gotta know. Did I break the law? Seriously? Was this against the rules? And how serious is this? You all have me all in a panic now. So I'm not allowed to do this? If I sound like I'm mocking I swear I'm not. I really didn't think this was a big deal.

Your seasonal pass includes use of the transportation, so I would say you are within your rights to walk to Saratoga Springs and take a bus to the parks, IMHO. Now if you went to DD with the intent to park there, walk to SS and take the bus to the park I would say you are abusing the system. What you did I don't see a problem with.

I know people did (or still do) it, but it seems like a lot of work to save 11 bucks.

mrerk

Premium Member
Ever since I was a little kid I always think to myself "wow.. I'd love to have just ONE day's parking earnings"

12,156 spaces at the MK x $11 = $133,716

On an average day the lot is what, half filled? Still like $67,000 per day.

jt04

Let's see, protesting to the parking attendents. Yeah that is a good idea:rolleyes:

It is only a dollar, a lousy dollar

CSUFSteve

I'm honestly curious... who really pays to park but the day guest?

Use-cases:
1) On-site @ Disney resort: Parking/transport is free
2) On-site @ Official WDW hotel: Transport is free (parking??)
3) Off-site @ Non-Disney resort: Don't most offsite hotels have shuttles?? I stayed offsite once b/c I was attending a convention at WDW, but the Co provided a rental car so I never had to care. I didn't have to pay to park, though. I don't remember why. Maybe I had an AP at the time. Hmmm...

So, if you have a rental car but availability to a free shuttle, and you know you are going to Disney, take the shuttle. Planning to do something non-Disney on the same day, take the shuttle back to your hotel and drive. I only suggest that if $1/day is really going to affect whether or not you can afford WDW.

In the worst case, say you have 14-day vacation planned to WDW. So now you are going to be $14 more out-of-pocket. I mean, that's the security fee portion of your airline ticket. And that's if you are lucky enough to be staying 14 days. And if you can afford 14-days, you probably don't care about $14.

If you're saying it's the principle of the thing, well, I mean we all know Disney raises prices periodically. That's Corporate America. Disney has trained us well and we've come to expect these increases. Disneyland has been $11 for quite some time now. And as somebody hinted at, your guys' admission prices are WAY more of a value than ours. The per park cost of WDW AP is *significantly* less than a DL AP. WDW AP'ers get significantly better hotel discounts, too. We get better food and merch discounts.

Tigerdaly

So do AAA members get free parking or just that different parking area? I have never had a car while I was there, just saw it last time while riding with a friend. Plus why would you not stay on-site? Unless of course you lived close, but then I am sure you all know the ways around park if you live close.
Because of the costs of staying in a Disney property we can stay in a villa in the area for 3 weeks and enjoy the parks rather than 1 week.
We travel with friends when we come over from UK and we like the everything a nice 3000 ft2 villa gives rather than staying in a box room. We stayed last year in AKL for a week at the end of our trip. There was no room left in the room after we put our luggage in.
So to summerise 1. Cost 2. Space 3. Sharing with families 4. get away factor.

It is $11 to park for a day. My Parents are currently in Orlando they rang me last Tuesday from inside Magic Kingdom and My Mum mentioned it was now $11 per day.
Personally I dont mind paying it but I suppose when you consider most people get either a 5 day or a 7 day pass - it adds up to alot of money and thats before you step into the parks!

elliot

I'm pretty sure people who are complaining aren't complaining about the dollar, they're complaining about the principle. And frankly, I'm surprised there are so many sheep. I wish I were in a financial position to shrug away all the increases like many of you folks. Yes. parking went up a dollar. But tickets also went up, room rates went up. It always goes up and always will go up. But if I'm a Disney suit, and I keep seeing "It's OK", "It's no big deal", "It's only a dollar", I've got a big @$$ grin on my face and no incentive to re-evaluate it.

All that being said, I'm still going to go. But I'm going down swinging!!

If anyone who isn't going to miss that $1 a day for when you're there, you probably won't miss it the other days of the year either, so you can send it to me. I need to build the Disney fund for the '09 visit:)
PS I'll take 100 pennies too. I'm desperate!!

CSUFSteve

Yes. parking went up a dollar. But tickets also went up, room rates went up. It always goes up and always will go up. But if I'm a Disney suit, and I keep seeing "It's OK", "It's no big deal", "It's only a dollar", I've got a big @$$ grin on my face and no incentive to re-evaluate it.

Yeah, and I get what you're saying but, I mean, I guess it just doesn't bother me. I mean, it's not like Disney is the only corporation in America that is raising its prices. Prices go up. If inflation across the U.S. were 0% and Disney was the only one raising prices, yeah, this would be a bigger deal to me. But, I mean it's just the nature of capitalism, right? Companies want to make more money and they basically have three levers to pull: costs, prices charged to consumers, and actual legitimate innovation.

Then there is also the psychological effect of parks keeping pace with one another price wise. The saying goes that if one park is a lower price than another that, in the consumer's mind, admission cost is a barometer of the quality they expect to receive and, even further, the amount of money they will at least subconsciously expect to spend. I'm not sure I'd say that applies to parking lot fees, but certain for hotels and park admission it makes sense.

Jimmy Thick

Sheesh, it's only a dollar.

While I'm an AR holder and almost always stay onsite, I would not miss a dollar a day, no matter how much I had to save.

Thank God I don't have money problems like most of the people here do. :ROFLOL:

I guess some people have to complain about something. :rolleyes:

Thurp

12,156 spaces at the MK x $11 = $133,716

On an average day the lot is what, half filled? Still like $67,000 per day.

That'll pay for Epcot's flowerbed!

Of course that's assuming that every space is taken up by a paying guest. Minus parking lot maintenance, tram maintenance, CM pay, security, electricity, cleaning and so on.

But you know that there is still a decent profit being made from parking every day at all parks.

bladerunner

I apologize now if this comes out wrong but I can't stand when people defend the rise in price because.."Universal rose their prices."

Who cares what the other parks do?!! Disney is suppose to be better than the other parks so competing with the little things like that is ridiculous. And I agree, $11 for parking doesn't sound like much but for us poor blue collar workers it can seriously add up with the tickets, the price of food, drinks, ice cream...

And also, when I use to have season passes we would go to Downtown Disney and then suddenly get the urge to go to the parks. So, we love walking, we would walk to the resort (which one is that right there? I can't believe I can't remember right now) and wait at the bus station. Then take the bus to whatever park we wanted to go.

So i gotta know. Did I break the law? Seriously? Was this against the rules? And how serious is this? You all have me all in a panic now. So I'm not allowed to do this? If I sound like I'm mocking I swear I'm not. I really didn't think this was a big deal.

Don't worry about it too much - the way things appear they are going (see FastPass thread) sometime in the future you won't have much choice - you'll likely have to stay at a WDW resort for at least 5 days if you want to have access to a park. I guess the blue collar days at Disney are numbered - enjoy it while you can.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Don't worry about it too much - the way things appear they are going (see FastPass thread) sometime in the future you won't have much choice - you'll likely have to stay at a WDW resort for at least 5 days if you want to have access to a park.
I guess the blue collar days at Disney are numbered - enjoy it while you can.

About time!! :lookaroun :lol:

No more Dans and Roseannes hogging up the lines, breathing all the air and serking down all the food! :p

flynnibus

Premium Member
To all the 'its only a dollar' posters...

Pay attention... its not just parking that has been raised...

ticket prices...
food prices...
changes in dining plan...
etc

You are watching the prices be raised 5+% across the board and are focusing only one 1 tidbit. Look bigger picture

jt04

To all the 'its only a dollar' posters...

Pay attention... its not just parking that has been raised...

ticket prices...
food prices...
changes in dining plan...
etc

You are watching the prices be raised 5+% across the board and are focusing only one 1 tidbit. Look bigger picture

You are right! Now maybe they can actually afford to build more attractions. Now I see the bigger picture. Thanks!

it may be $1 but how many time in the last 4 years has it been increased by just $1 just because universal / seaworld have increased to, in say 3 years if the price was $15 and they increased by another $1 would it still matter that its only just $1

with the amount of profit disney make do they really need to be making more profit if i was told its was so they could build a new big e ticket ride or to give the hard working cm's a pay rise fine, but everyone knows it will proberaly go stright into the pockets of the investors :) hay its just business

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom