News Parking Fees increase effective October 16 2018

Naplesgolfer

Nope. Don’t like it don’t go. Simple really. Supply and demand. Cupcakes are delicious. I pay for exclusive access therefore I’m better then you. Dizknee is a bidniss....So on and so forth.

" I pay for exclusive access therefore i'm better then you" Really?? Who has said this? Why go with this class warfare type argument. Disney is a want not a need.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
They just completed a overpass on world drive and three parking decks at disney springs ( free parking). Parking fees are the sole direct linked revenue source for parking and room improvements.

Those large projects you described are capital expenditures. Parking fees do not fund them. Those fees collected go into the same large OR pot for each park. Just like food, merch, etc. Maintenance and upkeep comes out of the OE Pot. (Of course I'm over simplifying this, but it's just the same way concessions don't actually pay for for the SW:GE, your parking fees don't pay for new overpasses or new hotel rooms, etc.)

Naplesgolfer

Those large projects you described are capital expenditures. Parking fees do not fund them. Those fees collected go into the same large OR pot for each park. Just like food, merch, etc. Maintenance and upkeep comes out of the OE Pot. (Of course I'm over simplifying this, but it's just the same way concessions don't actually pay for for the SW:GE, your parking fees don't pay for new overpasses or new hotel rooms, etc.)

Cap-ex is approved because it supports current or increased levels of operating revenue.

alphac2005

Because you don't go to a sports game for 5 to 7 days in the same week.

Same with the food.

There are also other options - you can park cheaper at a Giant's game, you just have to park further away and walk more. You can't do that if you are staying off-site at WDW.

The parking fees also don't go to the same place that your ticket fees go to in terms of football game - it is going toward the venues and other surrounding companies themselves.

There are many things that make it different.

@AEfx, you know (literally) that we go through this every time and the same arguments are made by those who continue to excuse away the price gauging. It's amazing how they can keep drinking the Kool Aid.

Last edited by a moderator:

alphac2005

It also was a different time (the golden years). It is funny, there is one complaint about how busy the parks are and then next about the pricing. The first can't happen if the second is too high. As far as what some view as gouging and that "there are not other offers". They are wrong, unless you are a local (then you get discounts on tickets or can buy AP's that are an advantage to us that live out of town). If i remember correctly and you can have Mear's pick you up and drop you off for only the vehicle fee, also most of the offsite rental properties have buses that also deliver you to the park. The issue is you are bound by their schedule.

While this is a money grab to an extent, it also an interesting business plan. The increase in parking, will play a factor in a person's (family's) decision into staying on property. If you can justify staying on property when you include room, transportation, and PARKING, it makes staying on property a much better value. I have stayed off property twice, and after each trip I swore i would only stay on property in the future due to the hassles with staying off property. In both cases we were with another family that was trying to save pennies, but I think we ended up spending more due to cost of parking, trying to get back to your vehicle if you had park hopped, etc.

In the end, if it isn't affecting attendance, it is a good business decision. An yes attendance is down, but I truly believe, that is a function of Star Wars Land. For example we are not going to Disney World next spring, and instead are going on a Disney Cruise simply due to waiting on SWL.

I know plenty of people that regularly go down to WDW and the reason that many of them have all the sudden stopped has nothing to do with SWL. We've had many friends finally at a breaking point with the pricing scheme and they're in two camps. One where it has simply become too unaffordable and the second is that the value for what is being spent is simply way out of wack. Personally, while I find the pricing increases to be nothing but a price grab, at least in Anaheim, the quality of the park is noticeably in step (for the most part) of what has been historically expected of Disney properties. WDW has become what @WDW1974 has harped on for years: A glorified time share and shopping mall that also has theme parks.

SirLink

Just seen Disney UK tickets for 2020 - that Disney are promoting to travel agents. Apparently a perk added is 'free' parking and potentially getting rid of the 'free' photopass option.

Lensman

yeah but can you imagine how much it would cost fairy godmother today? and the king and prince would have certainly cut the ball way down. no more footman calling out guest, no more live band....
When I was growing up I thought all godmothers were fairy godmothers. It was very confusing.

eliza61nyc

@AEfx, you know (literally) that we go through this every time and the same inane arguments are made by those who continue to excuse away the price gauging. It's amazing how they can keep drinking the Kool Aid.

lol it's amazing that you keep thinking folks are somehow brain washed. exactly what kool aide is someone who goes to Disney drinking???
let's see the information readily available.

Humm price of tickets? check
resort prices and fees check
food prices, menus check, check
parking fees, check

it's quite simple, some folks including myself think the product is still worth the asking price. we also recognized that no one is holding us HOSTAGE. I go into the park and go to a kiosk or a quick service venue. I ask "may I have a coke", they tell me "that will be 5 bucks". I either hand over the fiver or I say no way, that's ridiculous. wash, rinse and repeat.

what's amazing about it? I make financial decisions all the time. Can I afford it? yes or no. Do I think it's worth the purchase price? yes or no?
I went to see Hamilton last saturday, ticket price 400 bucks. I thought it was worth the price so I paid it. see how easy that was, no koolaide at all involved. I don't think it's worth the price for 3 kids so I won't be taking them.

I think you are more mad that no everyone is jumping on the "disney is evil" bandwagon so you choose to think we are some how misinformed. lol

MuteSuperstar

WDW has become what @WDW1974 has harped on for years: A glorified time share and shopping mall that also has theme parks.

Also kind of taking on the stench of what Vegas has become to me. Both places that achieved this rare, magical nexus of the past, present and future, indulgent and expensive yes, but offering something truly unique and the occasional $8 steak to go with it. Now it's $80 steaks with no sides and a bald-faced "f-you, pay me" vibe at every turn even as corners are being cut and experiences are being hollowed out and pitched to an ever-lower common denominator. There was always a higher standard of offering the customer some real perks, and making them feel truly appreciated. That's fading, and unfortunately too many people are still fine with it because both places do still manage to offer unique experiences and still have enough of some of the mojo left that made them great in the first place, despite the best efforts of the financial...people.

(But again, this is largely what most of large-scale American business has devolved into in many ways. And again, most seem fine with it, and even actively root for it, so as usual I am out of step with much of our current culture)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Ouch! It's going to hurt just a bit more for the off-property guests to visit...
Not when you figure that I will be paying hundreds a day less to stay offsite. I wish it were less, but, I am still ahead of the game. Can you imagine that for every four cars parking in those massive parking lots, they take in $100.00. There are thousands of businesses that would love to rake in that much income per day, seven days a week, 365 days per year. Disney thy middle name is Greed.

beachlover4444

I know plenty of people that regularly go down to WDW and the reason that many of them have all the sudden stopped has nothing to do with SWL. We've had many friends finally at a breaking point with the pricing scheme and they're in two camps. One where it has simply become too unaffordable and the second is that the value for what is being spent is simply way out of wack. Personally, while I find the pricing increases to be nothing but a price grab, at least in Anaheim, the quality of the park is noticeably in step (for the most part) of what has been historically expected of Disney properties. WDW has become what @WDW1974 has harped on for years: A glorified time share and shopping mall that also has theme parks.
totally agree. That's why instead of annual passes next year we are going to do a Disneyland trip for the very first time, and after that we are gonna save for Paris or Tokyo. It may be cheaper to leave the US and do a Disney vaca then going to Florida.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
" I pay for exclusive access therefore i'm better then you" Really?? Who has said this? Why go with this class warfare type argument. Disney is a want not a need.

No one actually “says” it. They just talk around it.

FWIW it’s not class warfare. It’s not upper class to pay $55 for a faux exclusive cupcake party.
lol it's amazing that you keep thinking folks are somehow brain washed. exactly what kool aide is someone who goes to Disney drinking???
let's see the information readily available.

Humm price of tickets? check
resort prices and fees check
food prices, menus check, check
parking fees, check

it's quite simple, some folks including myself think the product is still worth the asking price. we also recognized that no one is holding us HOSTAGE. I go into the park and go to a kiosk or a quick service venue. I ask "may I have a coke", they tell me "that will be 5 bucks". I either hand over the fiver or I say no way, that's ridiculous. wash, rinse and repeat.

what's amazing about it? I make financial decisions all the time. Can I afford it? yes or no. Do I think it's worth the purchase price? yes or no?
I went to see Hamilton last saturday, ticket price 400 bucks. I thought it was worth the price so I paid it. see how easy that was, no koolaide at all involved. I don't think it's worth the price for 3 kids so I won't be taking them.

I think you are more mad that no everyone is jumping on the "disney is evil" bandwagon so you choose to think we are some how misinformed. lol
lol

I’ve seen a broadway show too

lol

lol

Last edited:

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
It may be cheaper to leave the US and do a Disney vaca then going to Florida.

Cheaper? Maybe, maybe not. The wife and I are nearly two years free of WDW park visits. It is rather disheartening as a two contract DVC Member. This latest round of cuts had us LOL at actually considering a third contract.

Instead we have started going on multiple DCL trips per year. Whether the price breaks down even or not, we have found it still provides Disney and the level of quality that is truly associated with the company. I personally recommend doing an Alaskan. One cruise will tie in to DLP next year and provide a taste of new culture. We are considering an ABD trip or two over the next 24 months, also. Lol'ing at the cuts + price increase was the best realization we have had when it comes to vacation. Seeing different places and experiencing different cultures outside of the world showcase has been beyond enriching. I highly, highly suggest going abroad for a Disney park and tying the local culture in to it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
totally agree. That's why instead of annual passes next year we are going to do a Disneyland trip for the very first time, and after that we are gonna save for Paris or Tokyo. It may be cheaper to leave the US and do a Disney vaca then going to Florida.

For Paris, if you stay on-site, it may not be cheaper. Definitely do some research on hotel options. One advantage to staying on-site, though, is you can walk from most resorts to the parks and Disney Village, and there's a train station between the village and the parks, so you can go off-site (Val d'Europe, one of the biggest malls I've ever seen, is one stop away. It has a grocery store in it, among 190 other stores, so that is good for grabbing some things, if you only had a mini-fridge in your room...) Food and beverage prices are higher than WDW as well. Hint: If you want a soda or water, better to buy it at the store in the train station, much more reasonable prices.

I really wish I could do Tokyo this year before my flight benefits run out, but alas, paying for the cruise in January has priority. :(

Back on topic - I'm waiting for the next announcement that parking fees for resort parking have been "enhanced" upwards by $5/day. :cautious: I doubt they'd even announce that, though.

On a more positive note - We all have 4 months now to get ready for the next ticket price increase. Isn't that fabulous?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom