News Parking Fees increase effective October 16 2018

peter11435

Because depending on the vacation you could pay to park every day. In Chicago for example: Day 1: Wrigley or Guaranteed Rate Field, Day 2: Museum of Science and Industry, Day 3: Navy Pier, Day 4: Brookfield Zoo, Day 5: Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium. All about $25 per day , if not more for parking.
Which is exactly why it’s a valid comparison.

CaptainAmerica

What Disney is:

Capitalism is focused on the creation of wealth and ownership of capital and factors of production, whereas a free market system is focused on the exchange of wealth, or goods and services. ... On the other hand, a private owner in a capitalist system can have a monopoly on the market and prevent free competition.

Bingo--- without competition they can charge whatever the "guests" are willing to pay. It seems Disney hasn't hit the ceiling yet. IMO they will at some point: for us 2019 may be sadly the last trip which our love affair began in 1972
Disney has infinite competition. Entertainment is literally the most competitive industry there is, particularly because entertainment is 100% discretionary, i.e. want-driven rather than need-driven.

Tony the Tigger

Wouldn't be surprised if they enacted this.

The entire Main St will be reserved seating for FoF parade and it will $35 dollars a person to watch.

Not without a cupcake!

"Ever wanted to park closer to the magic? Now you can! Just simply upgrade your parking spot in the My Disney Experience app! Parking spots start at $24.95 per vehicle per day (plus tax). Special 'Premium Platinum Parking Plus' parking spots available, on a limited basis, starting at $109.95 per vehicle per day (plus tax)."

Tailgate dessert party $129.95

Kingtut

Everything with a bit of randomness has room to be monetized really. Off the top of my head.........

The bus stop is fairly random throughout the day. You can add on unlimited Minnie Van rides on property for the length of your stay for $299.

Specific room choice/location is pretty random at check-in. Lock in the room location of your choice (based on availability) for a $299 per total reservation price charge.

Tired of going to visit your favorite character and waiting in line? Schedule a 15 minute private visit from your favorite character to your room! $149.

Want to be a part of the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor show? Make sure someone in your party is chosen to play the One-Eyed Guy by reserving their spot in YOUR experience! $29

Be the Assistant Skipper in your Jungle Cruise. Enhance your child's Jungle Cruise by prepaying to have your child be the navigator when your family rides the Jungle Cruise! Your child will be addressed by name throughout the ride by the Skipper and will help save the day along the way! $29.

Would you like to see your child's face on the castle during the end-of-night project show? Upgrade your viewing experience to make sure your child has an unforgettable magic moment the night you visit Magic Kingdom! $299 puts your child's face, or another loved one's, face on the castle for the entire audience to see during the show for a full 3 seconds! A classic piece of magic never to be forgotten! Extremely limited, book now!
You forgot to add the you are also able to purchase a streaming video of the castle show for $29.99 or $49.99 if you want it on BR

rd805

I'm hoping Disney starts pricing people out... i'm not even mad anymore, they are too full year round so i'm all for the changes!

KBLovedDisney

I'm hoping Disney starts pricing people out... i'm not even mad anymore, they are too full year round so i'm all for the changes!
giphy.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Only $8?!? Wow, I remember it was $5 in 1995. Isn't it amazing they raised the parking by only $3 in 10 years and now they have raised it by $17 in 13 years?

I guess that's what happens when you install a CEO whose sole priority is making stock analysts happy. (And Iger still holds over 1 million shares of TWDC stock, if memory serves)

Lensman

let's look at the parking / 1 day ticket ratio: we are now at 25%, 20 years ago it was about 10%.
I think that's the result of some business school studies that showed that it's somehow more business-optimal to raise prices on ancillary services vs. primary services - the same reason popcorn prices have gone up more than ticket prices and why we're paying for checked baggage on flights. Not saying this is consumer friendly, just that customers feel more ire about raising primary prices (like park tickets).

Stated negatively, it means that businesses can double-dip on price increases now without a proportional decrease in demand.

mergatroid

We were there for 2 weeks (got back yesterday) and noticed the $3 overnight price increase towards the end and were :eek:. We don't even pay to park as we're annual pass holders but I felt bad for those that do, a $1 a year increase I can accept but $3 seems excessive.

mergatroid

They have spent large amounts on road and parking improvements lately . Look at the the new entrance with ticket booth at DHS. They also greatly increased the size of the parking lot itself.

They just completed a overpass on world drive and three parking decks at disney springs ( free parking). Parking fees are the sole direct linked revenue source for parking and room improvements.

Yes but I'm guessing that's for the expected increase in paying visitors to see GE, they'll certainly get their money back from that alone?

DisneyCane

Like employee pay, "we want to pay more than average so we get good people", then the average goes up as everyone competes. What happened to price fixing?
Unless there is an agreement between Disney and universal then price fixing doesn't apply. No law against monitoring prices and adjusting accordingly. I'm not so sure the law would apply to parking at 2 different theme parks anyway. The parking lots don't complete against each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom