Parking fees at Walt Disney World theme park increase effective October 4

hopemax

I don't believe it. Maybe the majority of the tickets sold at the ticket booths at the parks on weekends, but, not the majority of tickets sold. It makes no sense.

Why doesn't it make sense?

We know that the Magic Kingdom has 19.332 million visitors in 2014. The sum of all 4 parks is 51.5 million, so the MK represents 37.5% of all visitors. (TEA report)

We know that there are 30,469 on property rooms (TouringPlans.com), so on any given day 11,425 of those rooms will be visiting MK (37.5%). Assume 3 people per room = 34275 per day from on-property are visiting the MK. But at 19.322 million visitors, the average daily attendance is 52,937. That leaves 18,662 people not accounted for.

The 34,000 people on-site, the vast majority of them probably do not have 1 day tickets. But with the options being 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10+, AP or 10 different options, we don't know what the distribution curve looks like, but I would think it's reasonable for only, maybe 5000 as a maximum in any one option.

The off-site people...consider all the people who live within a 2 hour drive, consider all the people on convention business who only have 1 day at Disney, consider all the people "just passing through" Orlando to visit Grandma in Miami or Atlanta. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of off-site guests have 1 day tickets. That's 9,331 people with one day, with the other 9331 being broken up over those previously mentioned 10 categories. So maybe you bump that 5000 to 8000. 9331 vs 8000...the one day tix purchased by off-siters would still win.

But there aren't big lines at the turnstyles? You can buy tickets online, through your convention package, at a third-party seller, etc.

Goofyernmost

Think of the conventioneers, FL residents, school groups, etc, etc. I've worked in those booths and I know high ups and would put all of my money on that being the #1 seller.

I'm about the third or fourth person that has told you this in here too, so I have to think that's no coincidence.
Not a problem, I have been wrong before, if it's true, but, I am, honestly, still having trouble reconciling it. Conventions, school groups, etc. are no where near the number of people in the parks on any given day. I am going to drop the discussion because I have no way of proving it, and I would like to see that proof. Just because someone thinks it, in either way, does not make it fact. So like in Disney's biggest success at the moment... I'll let it go and just stay with what makes the most sense to me.

Next Big Thing

Not a problem, I have been wrong before, if it's true, but, I am, honestly, still having trouble reconciling it. Conventions, school groups, etc. are no where near the number of people in the parks on any given day. I am going to drop the discussion because I have no way of proving it, and I would like to see that proof. Just because someone thinks it, in either way, does not make it fact. So like in Disney's biggest success at the moment... I'll let it go and just stay with what makes the most sense to me.
I was just using those bases as examples. I'll drop it now also though.

Goofyernmost

Why doesn't it make sense?

We know that the Magic Kingdom has 19.332 million visitors in 2014. The sum of all 4 parks is 51.5 million, so the MK represents 37.5% of all visitors. (TEA report)

We know that there are 30,469 on property rooms (TouringPlans.com), so on any given day 11,425 of those rooms will be visiting MK (37.5%). Assume 3 people per room = 34275 per day from on-property are visiting the MK. But at 19.322 million visitors, the average daily attendance is 52,937. That leaves 18,662 people not accounted for.

The 34,000 people on-site, the vast majority of them probably do not have 1 day tickets. But with the options being 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10+, AP or 10 different options, we don't know what the distribution curve looks like, but I would think it's reasonable for only, maybe 5000 as a maximum in any one option.

The off-site people...consider all the people who live within a 2 hour drive, consider all the people on convention business who only have 1 day at Disney, consider all the people "just passing through" Orlando to visit Grandma in Miami or Atlanta. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of off-site guests have 1 day tickets. That's 9,331 people with one day, with the other 9331 being broken up over those previously mentioned 10 categories. So maybe you bump that 5000 to 8000. 9331 vs 8000...the one day tix purchased by off-siters would still win.

But there aren't big lines at the turnstyles? You can buy tickets online, through your convention package, at a third-party seller, etc.
The only way it would make any sense is if the one day tickets that everyone is talking about is directly connected to MK. That park might, but, even that is a stretch as far as I am concerned.

hopemax

I think your problem is not reconciling that the large number of ticket options results in a fairly flat changes in slope on the distribution curve (at least on the front end, say 1-7 days). If you take 50,000 things and divide it by 20 you get a not big number, 2500 compared to the original value of 50,000. But if you start tallying up the reasons for people to select 1 day: like passing through, conventions, school trips, family visiting, that number can add up. More people ARE buying multi-day passes, but because you are comparing 1 day vs a SPECIFIC 2 or 3 or 4 day vs 1 day to a generic "multi-day" the 1 day wins.

PhotoDave219

I'm talking actual daily ticket sales, not things part of packages, etc.

Chernaboggles

You make it sound like offsite is on the other side of the continent. In fact, a lot of the offsite locations are actually closer to the parks then some of the onsite ones are. Going back to pick something up that I forgot, well I've never done that, but, if I did I can get there and back a whole lot quicker then someone taking the bus will.

Agreed. We've done trips both ways (Disney Moderate Resort vs off-site rented townhouse & car) and the townhouse & car combination was actually faster in all cases except MK. On paper, staying off property was 2 miles farther out, but waiting for the bus (or waiting for it to make additional stops) always cancelled out any advantages from being geographically closer. At MK, being on site allowed one to bus directly to the park gates rather than go to the TTC, but even that wasn't much time savings when the waits for buses were factored in.

Goofyernmost

Agreed. We've done trips both ways (Disney Moderate Resort vs off-site rented townhouse & car) and the townhouse & car combination was actually faster in all cases except MK. On paper, staying off property was 2 miles farther out, but waiting for the bus (or waiting for it to make additional stops) always cancelled out any advantages from being geographically closer. At MK, being on site allowed one to bus directly to the park gates rather than go to the TTC, but even that wasn't much time savings when the waits for buses were factored in.
I know that most don't feel that way, but, for me, arriving directly at the gate leaves a huge gap in my experience. I love going through TTC, choosing either the Monorail or the Ferry, watching MK getting closer and closer, the scenery on a nice day. All of it is an important part of the experience for me (including the tram ride).

Chernaboggles

I know that most don't feel that way, but, for me, arriving directly at the gate leaves a huge gap in my experience. I love going through TTC, choosing either the Monorail or the Ferry, watching MK getting closer and closer, the scenery on a nice day. All of it is an important part of the experience for me (including the tram ride).

I don't care either way about the tram ride (we often just walk in if we're parked at a reasonable distance), but I agree about the TTC and MK. I feel like it was designed to first appear as remote, separated from the regular world, and that just pulling up in a bus to the front gate takes away the opening number of the show, so to speak.

You and I may be the only people in this particular club, however. :)

Goofyernmost

Yeah. I would assume that the KTTW/Length of stay option would be the most common method of admission but when it comes to actual tickets sold at the gate, 1D1P.
Thanks, that is exactly how I was looking at it. With the system the WDW has, it makes sense that the majority of at park purchases would be 1D1P. Bet that that number drops dramatically at DHS at this point in time.

PhotoDave219

Thanks, that is exactly how I was looking at it. With the system the WDW has, it makes sense that the majority of at park purchases would be 1D1P. Bet that that number drops dramatically at DHS at this point in time.

I'd have to ask.....

But if you look at the crowd levels - yes I know they're not necessarily an indication of attendance, more like a barometer - the Studios have turned themselves around in the past year. Its crazy because its becoming construction central.

Also.... given that is where Frozen is located? I wouldn't make that bet.

Goofyernmost

I'd have to ask.....

But if you look at the crowd levels - yes I know they're not necessarily an indication of attendance, more like a barometer - the Studios have turned themselves around in the past year. Its crazy because its becoming construction central.

Also.... given that is where Frozen is located? I wouldn't make that bet.
I don't know. If I were to throw a guess out there, I'd say that it is a filler day for those with multi-day tickets or park hoppers. They certainly don't stay there for a full day. DHS in the morning and a water park in the afternoon? Or turn that around and make Fantasmic the reason.

NearTheEars

Lets see parking is $20
A simple burger and fries is $14
A large fountain drink is $4
Popcorn is $4
Will the insanity stop?

Are you talking Table Service?
The bacon cheeseburger and fries is $10.69, and a large soda $3.29 at Cosmic Rays in the MK.
Not that that is cheap or anything. Just wanted to clarify.

bhg469

Supply and demand. I was in the Nappa Valley area for the last two weeks. Much smaller rooms in not so great conditions were over $200.
Last March I was around 200 for a holiday Inn in Sarasota nowhere near the water. Drfini supply and demand... only Disney rooms are definitely less desirable than that holiday inn.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly, $20 for non-onsite or pass holder parking seems reasonable to me. I live near Boston and recently just paid an exorbitant amount of money to park at the Boston Children's Hospital for a couple of hours with my daughter who was a patient. Parking for a football game is now $40 and there is TONS of space there. They're making a profit. This is what parking at places costs.

Except which of those things do you plan on staying at for 4-5 or more days? Who wants to budget $100+ of their vacation budget for just PARKING. And while parking in Boston, NYC, or DC is incredibly expensive... this isn't the same scenario.. and the reason it's so expensive to park there is because of the cost of real estate and exclusive space.. neither of which is a problem at WDW.

Putting things in perspective... parking is now on par with the cruise port... where you have very limited space and a very captive audience... than it is at WDW for the same amount of time.. where Disney has space and scale working for them.

Parking is a revenue stream and incentive driver to pay Disney's ridiculous hotel rates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom