Parking at Universal hotels

bsiev1977

Original Poster
I'm booked at the Royal Pacific for 12/5 and 12/6.
The only thing i can recall seeing while booking was that self park costs $18 per day.
Do hotel guests really have to pay that much to park, or did I miss something?

djlaosc

I'm booked at the Royal Pacific for 12/5 and 12/6.
The only thing i can recall seeing while booking was that self park costs $18 per day.
Do hotel guests really have to pay that much to park, or did I miss something?

...but that $18 is for both days (you pay per night), so you save $14 on parking in the garage for 2 days, as far as I know!

Last edited:

Glasgow

I noticed that when I just booked. Yowsas .. Plus, there's an extra cost for having a fridge! I thought UNI would be way cheaper than WDW but it's not, in October anyway. Only about $200 diff between Pacific and the Mods

AswaySuller

That's still disgusting IMO those hotels aren't cheap. Just pay and park in the theme park lot they don't charge you per day/night there just per entry! So if you're not leaving For a couple of days I'd do that!

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's still disgusting IMO those hotels aren't cheap. Just pay and park in the theme park lot they don't charge you per day/night there just per entry! So if you're not leaving For a couple of days I'd do that!

And get towed.. and you'll love your bill then.

Paying for parking is not fun, but it's not as bad as you make it out to be. You pay it along with your room and you have access through the next day. Take advantage of the extra day of Express Pass on checkout day and you're still ahead.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I noticed that when I just booked. Yowsas .. Plus, there's an extra cost for having a fridge! I thought UNI would be way cheaper than WDW but it's not, in October anyway. Only about $200 diff between Pacific and the Mods

UNI itself is not way cheaper than Disney... it's expensive too. But what you pay at UNI for hotel is well above a mod level at Disney today.

3 days at uni basically added $1k to my last trip cost for my family of 5.

ParentsOf4

Hey, I hate paying for parking at any hotel but let's examine that a bit more closely before calling Universal "disgusting" for charging for parking at the hotels.

Travel advisors generally consider WDW's Grand Floridian (GF) and Universal's Portofino Bay (PB) as those resorts best hotels. Having stayed at both, I think they are on par, as do many travel advisors. Let's look at their rack rates on among the least and most expensive days of the year.

Mid-week January:
- PB Bay View (450 sq ft): $315.00 + $39.38 (tax) + $18.00 = $372.38
- GF Outer Building Lagoon View (440 sq ft): $549.00 + $68.63 = $617.63

Christmas Day:
- PB Bay View (450 sq ft): $439.00 + $54.88 (tax) + $18.00 = $511.88
- GF Outer Building Lagoon View (440 sq ft): $837.00 + $104.63 = $941.63

Of course, staying at Portofino Bay includes the best theme park perk of all; unlimited Express Pass all day long.

I know which one I think is more disgusting. :D

AswaySuller

And get towed.. and you'll love your bill then.

Paying for parking is not fun, but it's not as bad as you make it out to be. You pay it along with your room and you have access through the next day. Take advantage of the extra day of Express Pass on checkout day and you're still ahead.

I didn't realise they'd tow you...

So what if I went to city walk of an evening. Had a drink too many and decide to leave my car and get a cab home and pick up my car the next day.... Should I expect to be towed?

I'm not being a dick I'm genuinely intreagued. I have left my car in town on many occasions and gone to collect it the next day.

flynnibus

Premium Member

So what if I went to city walk of an evening. Had a drink too many and decide to leave my car and get a cab home and pick up my car the next day.... Should I expect to be towed?

Overnight... not likely. But if you left a car sitting in the same spot for several days in a place not designated for overnight parking, you are assuming the risk of having your car not be there when you come back.

I'm not being a dick I'm genuinely intreagued. I have left my car in town on many occasions and gone to collect it the next day.

Public parking vs paid parking lot, etc. Overnight vs non-overnight..

JillC LI

Unfortunately, yes, for the overnight charge. But someone mentioned a charge for a fridge, and we had one last December at RPR for no extra charge.

Dog Ate Mouse

I stayed at the Royal Carribean the year it first opened up and was a little disapointed when they informed me that I had to pay to park my car as a guest staying at the Resort. Sure I did pay it and felt that this should never be done to a guest and should have just been included in the total cost of staying at the resort without ever stating that. This is just a small little gripe that I do have with Uni resorts. This is a small issue and will not let it upset my stay when I go there next time for vacation for even a moment. At least in 2014 I will expect this and not be taken back in surprise.

luv

I happen to know, from personal experience, that if you end up getting hammered at Uni when you weren't planning on it and stumble over to a hotel to sleep it off...you can leave a couple cars in the Uni garage overnight.

The heat, glaring sunshine and ride home the next day might not be wonderful, but the cars being where you left them is a plus. :)

I am glad that my evening of drunkenness has been of benefit to you. :)

misterID

Staying off site from any park resort is getting better and better every day.

The only thing I can think of that could in any way justify charging your guest parking at a hotel is that they are trying to discourage you from having a car so you're less likely to leave their resort and explore other areas of Orlando including WDW. If they had a very convenient monorail service at UNI and their resorts I could almost say it would be okay... But that monorail better be air conditioned with comfortable seating, too.

Paying for hotel parking is lame anyway you slice it. Disney doesn't even do that.

CJR

Paying for hotel parking is lame anyway you slice it. Disney doesn't even do that.

I wonder if it's because of Lowes? We're passholders, so I'm not sure if that would matter or not, but we get free parking at the parks (never cared to stay at Universal's hotels). My thoughts are that Universal might not have much say in the parking thing though since they don't operate the hotels.

brokedad

I have left my car in the garage overnight, came back the next afternoon and no hassles from the employees, just a hard time trying to get to it, they open it in sections like wdw parking lots

nerdboyrockstar

Staying off site from any park resort is getting better and better every day.

The only thing I can think of that could in any way justify charging your guest parking at a hotel is that they are trying to discourage you from having a car so you're less likely to leave their resort and explore other areas of Orlando including WDW. If they had a very convenient monorail service at UNI and their resorts I could almost say it would be okay... But that monorail better be air conditioned with comfortable seating, too.

Well, in Disneyland they do.

Similar set-up.. Two parks side-by-side, shopping and dining district just steps away, and 3 on-site hotels.. and those hotels do charge for parking. So maybe it is to discourage day guest from parking on the lots.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom