Park Ticket price potentially increasing

NormC

Geolocation doesn't require a GPS device or signal. You can geolocate via triangulation which is why I mentioned that they have towers all over the property. There is an HF radio in the band that's picked up by their long-range readers. They literally describe it on their website.

That is true. But without GPS they can only approximate your location. WDW is not using geolocation via the magic bands. They can only guess where you might be based on your activities and the last device you passed. The battery operated transmitter has to be activated by proximity. It is not constantly transmitting. This limits how accurately they can determine your position.
We are arguing semantics. The "long range" device is still relatively short range. It is longer than the other two passive devices which require a touch point.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
That is true. But without GPS they can only approximate your location. WDW is not using geolocation via the magic bands. They can only guess where you might be based on your activities and the last device you passed. The battery operated transmitter has to be activated by proximity. It is not constantly transmitting. This limits how accurately they can determine your position.
We are arguing semantics. The "long range" device is still relatively short range. It is longer than the other two passive devices which require a touch point.

That's true if they didn't control tower placement, but they do and I bet they can approximate within a few feet. They probably don't track every step that people take, but they state right in their FAQ and privacy policies that they do collect and aggregate this data.

NormC

That's true if they didn't control tower placement, but they do and I bet they can approximate within a few feet. They probably don't track every step that people take, but they state right in their FAQ and privacy policies that they do collect and aggregate this data.
I agree. It is a class II (allowable max of 2.5mW) device operating at 1.2mW which has a range of 10 meters. This is based on their FCC filings. It would be interesting to know how many "towers" they have. This would help determine how accurately they could locate you. A tower every 10 meters would be best case but we know Disney didn't install that many devices. They chose to fill in the blanks with FP and point of purchase scanners. It is a breadcrumb trail. I would love to see their network map.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I agree. It is a class II (allowable max of 2.5mW) device operating at 1.2mW which has a range of 10 meters. This is based on their FCC filings. It would be interesting to know how many "towers" they have. This would help determine how accurately they could locate you. A tower every 10 meters would be best case but we know Disney didn't install that many devices. They chose to fill in the blanks with FP and point of purchase scanners. It is a breadcrumb trail. I would love to see their network map.

They're probably positioned wherever they have a WIFI router, that would be the simplest way to implement it. The xConnect xBR is capable of supporting 8 receiver antennas and one transmit antenna per reader, so depending on cable length limitations they can cover quite a distance. They really went all out in the design, they support DC power or PoE, ethernet or WIFI. They can put them just about anywhere.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They use proximity devices for ride photos using the battery powered call and respond device and can only locate you by triangulation which is not geolocation and this only gives them an area location. They do not know your exact location unless you are at a register paying for something. The magic band has no gps enabled devices. It has two passive RFID tags and one battery powered short range device.

And every user hanging out on wifi is easily tracked to a pretty tight location
And the beacon used in magicbands can be used to triangulate to a pretty good location

You are defending 'geolocation' in the sense purely about a 1:1 pinned transaction type of thing. That's just one type of data point. Radio based tracking is happening all the time where people are in the coverage of wifi or the magicband infrastructure.

The question is only how much Disney is actually storing and using it.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Not everyone uses magic bands. Not everyone stays on Disney property. There is literally no way of Disney knowing who spends what without that magic band.

Some locals are in utter desperation to prove the local annual pass isn't one of the cheapest nonsensical business decisions ever made - and they are basically free loading, whilst international tourists and other US citizens subsidise them and the perjs,
I think you are confusing Florida AP's with free dining for the UK traveller.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Not everyone uses magic bands. Not everyone stays on Disney property. There is literally no way of Disney knowing who spends what without that magic band.

Some locals are in utter desperation to prove the local annual pass isn't one of the cheapest nonsensical business decisions ever made - and they are basically free loading, whilst international tourists and other US citizens subsidise them and the perks.

It's time to abolish these bottom tier annual passes. One fair annual pass for all visitors - no matter where you are from.

You may be my favorite village idiot.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Claim was made Disney can track what you spend, and location tracking. I told you they can't. So you resort to calling me an idiot.

As i said another local, who doesn't want to engage in the debate over the bottom tier annual pass giveaways that contribute to the large excessive crowds.

Yes, you can be tracked less if you go out of your way to not be tracked. That isn't news to anyone. There's no point in debating someone like you who's so arrogant that you believe you already know everything when in reality you know nothing at all. You have all of the answers, yet none of them are accurate. It's like it all came to you in a dream, or maybe it's the drugs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Some locals are talking utter nonsense now, in the utter desperation to prove the lower tier local annual passes isn't one of the cheapest nonsensical business decisions ever made - and they are basically free loading, whilst international tourists and other US citizens subsidise them and the perks.

Yes, it's so nonsensical... Disney has been doing it for nearly 40 years under multiple leaderships. WERE THEY THINKING?? How could they not realize it could upset a single guy from the UK?

And now I'll blow your mind... you know what the company also used to do? THEY GAVE THOSE FLORIDA PEOPLE FREE TICKETS TO GIVE TO OTHER PEOPLE TOO!! were they thinking? Don't they know those free tickets will crowd out the guy from the UK who thinks he's the most important customer??

The nerve of these guys.. you'd think by now someone with some business sense would have gotten in there and killed these passes that only hurt the company.

Or...

Is it the company with the actual data behind their decisions is right, and the whiny guy from the UK is the one who is wrong?
giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom