Park Security

rsoxguy

Original Poster
Perhaps Disney management has figured out that Security people are unlike other Disney castmembers in that they have a serious job to do and need to be taken more seriously because of that.
For years, and on many occasions, I have approached the Disney Security areas and met security people who just laughed and joked around, then glanced at our bags and back packs and just waved us though the line.
On our last trip, however, it was differant. The security people were not joking or laughing, and made us show them every single thing in our bags.
We also had to unzip every pocket and open it up for them to view.

Sure it takes a little of the Magic away from the Disney Experiance, but it only takes a few seconds and if it helps to make the parks a little more secure and makes some people feel a little more secure while being there then I'm OK with it.

Scooter's description of past and present experiences with security describe exactly what I have experienced myself. I wholeheartedly agree with his conclusion. Given the incident mentioned earlier in this thread regarding a gun, I would prefer to endure more serious security than to have a guard who would rather joke with me about my Red Sox cap. I don't mind someone checking to see if I'm a danger to others. I was just thinking that my wife and I were being overly observant or sensitive.

board57796

Sometimes the K-9 unit will go through a Monorail as its stopped in a station. They will ask us to not load the train temporarily, and after the dog goes through they allow us to load.

Keith_WaterTank

As a CM who works in the parks (Backlot Tour @ Studios!) - I can attest to the increased security for cast and guests alike. From what I have heard, which is what our cast were discussing, is that security somewhere on property failed an audit in which a man brings an unloaded gun through security attempting to not get caught. He obviously works for Disney so it's safe, but he was not caught, and upon making it through the turnstiles into the park, it was obvious that Security had failed their audit. After this, they began checking bags much more thoroughly than before. I carry a backpack to work with a change of clothes, my lunch, a book, and a few snacks, and usually have no problems, but recently I have started taking my lunch in clear bags because they've made me open the brown bags I used to take my sandwich in.

I feel more secure, yes, but part of me thinks that if Disney Security had been doing a proper job in the first place, there'd be no need for the recent increase.

On another note, I wouldn't doubt if Disney added metal detectors to its parks in the coming years, but I don't think they'd look like any metal detectors you've seen before. They would most likely be themed into the turnstiles and you wouldn't notice them unless you got caught with something.

CastleBound

One thing I have enjoyed in Disney is not seeing security. Throughout the years, I have never really noticed them. Obviously at the entrance if you have a bag or something, but I never have seen them roaming the parks. The parks have always seemed safe to me. I have considered security to be on the outside looking in and taking care of problems without being noticed.

Heres something to think about. Does seeing security make you feel more or less safe?? From one standpoint, Seeing security may make you feel uncomfortable, as they check your things and you out. You know they are there and you feel like there may be a problem. On the other hand, not seeing security sometimes make you not even think about it. You don't see them therefore you begin to think about it. Its a hard point to get across online, but maybe you'll see what I mean.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hey at least they haven't gone the way of Kings Dominion here in Virginia. You have to go thru a metal detector before entering the park.

As a CM who works in the parks (Backlot Tour @ Studios!) - I can attest to the increased security for cast and guests alike. From what I have heard, which is what our cast were discussing, is that security somewhere on property failed an audit in which a man brings an unloaded gun through security attempting to not get caught. He obviously works for Disney so it's safe, but he was not caught, and upon making it through the turnstiles into the park, it was obvious that Security had failed their audit. After this, they began checking bags much more thoroughly than before. I carry a backpack to work with a change of clothes, my lunch, a book, and a few snacks, and usually have no problems, but recently I have started taking my lunch in clear bags because they've made me open the brown bags I used to take my sandwich in.

I feel more secure, yes, but part of me thinks that if Disney Security had been doing a proper job in the first place, there'd be no need for the recent increase.

On another note, I wouldn't doubt if Disney added metal detectors to its parks in the coming years, but I don't think they'd look like any metal detectors you've seen before. They would most likely be themed into the turnstiles and you wouldn't notice them unless you got caught with something.

While metal detectors are fine, they are only as good as the people operating them. You have to be able to differentiate between a belt buckle, loose change and an AK47.

Also many much more dangerous threats contain no metal at all.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
From what I have heard, which is what our cast were discussing, is that security somewhere on property failed an audit in which a man brings an unloaded gun through security attempting to not get caught.

The questionable veracity of front line CM rumors aside, until they fix the "bring it in your pocket/on your body" loophole, and until they screen all goods entering property, their security is a moot point and just another example of post 9-11 paranoia security theatre to keep the kettles happy (from both guest and CM sides).

Who on here has been to Disneyland Resort Paris and observed the Military/ Security with very large guns patrolling around the Parks?? I never saw them in the Parks but in the "common" area where ppl are getting off/on the Public Metro system, catching buses to resorts, walking to the Main Gates to the Parks or the Disney Village area.
There is still the bag check @ the 2 main gates, pretty much like WDW.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Who on here has been to Disneyland Resort Paris and observed the Military/ Security with very large guns patrolling around the Parks?? I never saw them in the Parks but in the "common" area where ppl are getting off/on the Public Metro system, catching buses to resorts, walking to the Main Gates to the Parks or the Disney Village area.
There is still the bag check @ the 2 main gates, pretty much like WDW.
The metro isn't in the parks... that's public property. The gendarmes can do as they please there.

Duckberg

WDW Security NEVER Perfect!

BUT, having at least a higher security attitude & better bag check is a START! If they stay consistent! Duckberg :cool:

vintageepcot

They need to get something to sence gunpowder because realey even a chair can be used as a weapon you know :shrug:. Of course have the person confronted if a gunpowder source is senced. But disney is probaly the last place to be attacked. Its more like places like citys I have noticed where there are major targets to attacks. Theres no buisyness deals in disney, everyones minding their buisyness, no politichians are stationed, and pretty mutch everyones going about their own buisyness on the parks so realey theres not mutch to harm. Your own front yard or your local grocery store can be a danger but its rare that it happens. I think disney should allow off duty cops to be armed in the parks because I know my neighborhod has a low crime level only 2 car robberys within 18 years and thats just because we have cops living on our block and they were under 20.

Bigart

Security

I got a taste of the increased security last weekend. I was walking alone from the contemporary to the magic kingdom and back taking photos of the monorail. I was stopped by a security guard in his car and was thouroughly questioned as to what I was doing. He examined my photos and took down my information. I offered to surrender the digital photos and after examining them he indicated that wasnt necessary. I appreciate him doing his job well, as I am sure there are increased fears about hostile acts. Mind your Ps and Qs everyone...they are watching intently. WDW is the safest place to be...

Ariel484

I have been there twice this summer, and find it seems to vary greatly depending on the individual. I had everything from a cursory glance from a friendly fellow to a full on emptying of my bag. I still think it seems more of a show of security than a real security...

Agreed...in May I had my tiny camera carrying case searched before entering DHS, so for the rest of the trip I'd have the case out and open, ready to be searched, and every security guard gave me the most bizzarre look...I just thought it was common practice but I guess that one guy just wanted to be really thorough :veryconfu

momofnine

last year at epcot we saw a security guy with a dog, never seen that before

We just noticed this at the end of July/August. The amount of uniform police and we noticed the dogs at EPCOT also, didn't see them anywhere else. Makes you feel more secure, and a bit uneasy at the same time.:shrug:

I got a taste of the increased security last weekend. I was walking alone from the contemporary to the magic kingdom and back taking photos of the monorail. I was stopped by a security guard in his car and was thouroughly questioned as to what I was doing. He examined my photos and took down my information. I offered to surrender the digital photos and after examining them he indicated that wasnt necessary. I appreciate him doing his job well, as I am sure there are increased fears about hostile acts. Mind your Ps and Qs everyone...they are watching intently. WDW is the safest place to be...

Thats a bit excessive.

luckyeye13

They need to get something to sence gunpowder because realey even a chair can be used as a weapon you know :shrug:. Of course have the person confronted if a gunpowder source is senced. But disney is probaly the last place to be attacked. Its more like places like citys I have noticed where there are major targets to attacks. Theres no buisyness deals in disney, everyones minding their buisyness, no politichians are stationed, and pretty mutch everyones going about their own buisyness on the parks so realey theres not mutch to harm. Your own front yard or your local grocery store can be a danger but its rare that it happens. I think disney should allow off duty cops to be armed in the parks because I know my neighborhod has a low crime level only 2 car robberys within 18 years and thats just because we have cops living on our block and they were under 20.

Have you ever tried spell check? That little ABC button with the checkmark could be your best friend.

luckyeye13

I remember hearing a couple of years ago (2003, I think) that WDW was actually looking at ways to do exactly what you mentioned. The biggest problem that they ran into, though, was that the electrical charge from the monorail beams would keep the metal detectors constantly ringing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom