Park Security

rsoxguy

Original Poster
Howdy. Consecutive challenges and trials have kept me from even reading this forum for several months, but the shock value of life is fading and I have been reading through some of the threads today. Anyhoo, I went to Disney a couple of weeks ago for two days after a long (for me) hiatus, and I noticed a difference in the security. It seemed to my wife and I that things were a little more intense. We went to MK and HS. I haven't had a backpack searched with such detail since my last trip to Washington DC. We also noticed more uniformed security at certain points in the parks. Was it just us, or has anyone else noticed that security is giving the impression that they heard the Bin-Laden family was due for some R&R in Florida?

Chrononymous

Ran into this a bit last December. Really noticed the intensity as well.
Usually the bag searches are quick, and the security is pleasant. But on the last trip, there was definitely not a lot of smiles, and much more thorough.

I had bought a mug in DHS and was park hopping to MK, when the security stopped me at the gate. After taking off all the carefull wrappings off my mug, he told me I couldn't go in, because no glass was allowed to be brought into the park!

I said excuse me? I just bought this damn thing "in a park", and never heard such a thing in my life!

He said it was dangerous because it might shatter. At which point I mentioned that it would have been fine and secure if he hadn't actually unwrapped it.

Finally, after checking with his supervisor, he let us in with it.
But yeah...it seemed a little more intense than the usual!

mwbrown

I have been there twice this summer, and find it seems to vary greatly depending on the individual. I had everything from a cursory glance from a friendly fellow to a full on emptying of my bag. I still think it seems more of a show of security than a real security...

SnowFire

During our trip earlier this month, my wife and I discussed what we thought seemed to be an increase in the number of uniformed security.

She also commented that the bag searches seemed to be more thorough than what she experienced in prior visits.

EPCOT Explorer

Bag check was actually really easy for us this time around.:shrug: He peeked in, comment on my WDWMagic button, and wished me a good day.

Last year, and the year before seemed worse over at EPCOT....it took a AGE!

toetheline29

We noticed during our last visit that a lot more of the security people who search bags were retired police officers, rather than some random person in their early twenties. My mom is a retired paramedic, so she likes to ask anyone who looks old enough if they are retired officers so she can see if they know any of the same people (this holds up the line considerably.... :eek:).

We did not notice an increased security presence within the parks, however, which is something I would like to see. Sometimes the CMs just need back-up :).

hpyhnt 1000

I have been there twice this summer, and find it seems to vary greatly depending on the individual. I had everything from a cursory glance from a friendly fellow to a full on emptying of my bag. I still think it seems more of a show of security than a real security...

Exactly. That little bag glance they do isn't going to stop anyone who seriously wants to do something inside a park.

timeman

Hey at least they haven't gone the way of Kings Dominion here in Virginia. You have to go thru a metal detector before entering the park.

mastif

My GF and I also noticed a little difference in security. It seems like they do not have to participate in the disney difference by always smiling being friendly etc. A few times I noticed grilling me and I felt as if I had done something wrong, like a cop was chasing me or something. I also noticed the undercover security more frequently too, tho this all seemed to be in front of the park entrances

Also a few times i went to work, i used the main entrance. I had my costume in a disney merchandise bag. Both times I had it searched it was so unthorough that I don't think they even noticed it was a disney costume. I was expecting some small talk about it, but nothing. All I got was a "have a nice day" without even making eye contact

Rinx

A few weeks ago someone brought a firearm into MK. There was no intent, probably just a personal item, but that could be a reason for the upped bag check.

When we were there in May they were checking bags closely. My 13 year old had to dump out her little backpack, but they were very friendly about it. Chatted with us the whole time, no big deal. I really don't mind it at all, I think it's a good thing.

Tinkyroo

Bag check was actually really easy for us this time around.:shrug: He peeked in, comment on my WDWMagic button, and wished me a good day.

Last year, and the year before seemed worse over at EPCOT....it took a AGE!

WDW Button? Where did you get that?

I do like them checking bags but often think things could easily get by. I do think they checked our bags more closely our last trip. In years past they told me they where not allowed to go inside the bag or open compartments. Last year they were all inside our bags, opening compartments and pulling things out. Do you think they will add metal detectors between the bag check lanes? And do they still have undercover plain clothes security around the parks?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
@the OP. So... in short Disney is changing act on its security theatre?

reptar77

There is definitely more security around. We haven't had a problem in anyway. I think they do a very good job keeping things pleasant while they are going through bags and keeping the line moving.

Scooter

Perhaps Disney management has figured out that Security people are unlike other Disney castmembers in that they have a serious job to do and need to be taken more seriously because of that.
For years, and on many occasions, I have approached the Disney Security areas and met security people who just laughed and joked around, then glanced at our bags and back packs and just waved us though the line.
On our last trip, however, it was differant. The security people were not joking or laughing, and made us show them every single thing in our bags.
We also had to unzip every pocket and open it up for them to view.

Sure it takes a little of the Magic away from the Disney Experiance, but it only takes a few seconds and if it helps to make the parks a little more secure and makes some people feel a little more secure while being there then I'm OK with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom