News Park hopping to return January 1st 2021

TinkerTara

"Starting Jan. 1, you can do something you haven’t done at Disney World since the pandemic reopening: Visit two theme parks in one day.

Disney is bringing back a modified park hopper option that requires visitors to make reservations for their first park and physically go to that park. At 2 p.m., however, they can head to any other Disney park for the rest of the day until that park closes without needing a second reservation.

“As we continue to operate in a responsible way, we are reintroducing the Park Hopper option so our guests have the opportunity to see and do more during their visit while we manage attendance and foster physical distancing,” Disney spokeswoman Erica Ettori said.

It’s a major step in Disney’s phased-in reopening. The turnstiles first began turning again in mid-July, and guests were allowed to visit one park a day as long as they snagged advance reservations first.

Park hopping will be available for passholders and ticket-holders who have that option on their plans. Disney has been selling tickets with the park hopper option to prepare for the change.

If all the daily reservations are already booked for Hollywood Studios, home to Disney’s newest rides, a person could visit later in the afternoon. Or someone waking up early to ride attractions at Magic Kingdom could head to Epcot afterward and grab dinner or a drink.
Disney plans to advise visitors to check DisneyWorld.com/ParkHours and My Disney Experience app for the most updated Park Hopper hours next year in case later the park hoping hours start earlier than 2 p.m., depending on the day and park."

I am glad that park hopping is back. I look forward to utilizing it on my trip later this year.

Jrb1979

Currently the same. Hoping crowds are lower than typical spring break levels. They weren’t too bad the 2nd week of March last year but who knows.
I have feeling crowds will be low for awhile. The vaccine isn't going to fix the economy. The pent up demand doesn't exist outside of here.

ImperfectPixie

I have feeling crowds will be low for awhile. The vaccine isn't going to fix the economy. The pent up demand doesn't exist outside of here.
I know A LOT of people who are waiting until things are back to normal in the parks and resorts. They're chomping at the bit, but aren't willing to spend so much with so many things on hold.

Furiated

Got to try out park hopping on my visit last week.

Tried it out for the first time last Tuesday going into Epcot via Intl Gateway. Wanting to get in right at 2, I got there around 1:40. I actually didn't mean to get there quite that early but I was walking over from Beach Club and got there faster than intended. There were a couple of people hanging around looking like they were waiting to park hop. Mostly off to the side leaning in the waterside railing, I did the same. I could see that to the side of the Skyliner in the path leading backstage, there was a short section of stanchion, like literally one unit long, that had a couple of people standing behind it. I was thinking to myself, What are those people lined up for? Then a few minutes later, a CM came by and said that anyone waiting to park hop had to go wait in that line. Here's where some kind of signage would have been helpful. So we moved over there and waited in that line. Many others showed up and the line grew pretty long. They then came over and moved the line back over to the waterside railing where we were before. Then around 2 they started feeding us through the temp check and let us head in.

While all of this was happening, other guests were still able to enter Epcot, presumably because they weren't park hopping (or said that they weren't when the CM asked).

Wed I tried it again, same park, same entryway. I got there a little later to avoid much of a wait. This time, they started bringing us in earlier. I checked my watch and it was 1:53pm when I was through the tapstile and in the park. So my guess was that tapping in would work from at least 10 minutes early,

Thursday I tried park hopping at AK. Unlike Epcot, nobody was being held outside of the temp screening or security (presumably because at AK there's tons of room post security before you get to the tapstiles). There were a few people hanging out waiting to park hop but not that many, less than 10. So I put my prior knowledge to the test and tried to tap in at 1:50 and it worked, no issues. Didn't say I was park hopping, wasn't asked, just tapped in.

Friday I put my last theory to the test. I was heading back to Beach Club from DHS for lunch, and was getting off the Skyliner around 1:50pm, so I figured I try it and see what happens. I headed towards Epcot and the CM asked if I was park hopping and I said no, and was allowed through. Was able to tap in and enter no problem and didn't have to stand in the giant line they had people in at Intl Gateway.

So as of now, you can definitely get in 10 minutes prior to official park hopping start of 2pm, possibly earlier but I didn't test that. And it seems like their system of asking people if they are park hopping vs scanning a band is a bit flawed as the first time they did that, I immediately thought Well what if I said that I wasn't and just went in? I'm assuming they're only doing it to keep people from clogging up Intl Gateway but it seems like the easier thing would be to just start letting folks in if that big of a crowd is gathering. Probably not a big deal at all as most people are likely to answer honestly and wait to get in.

nickys

Premium Member
Got to try out park hopping on my visit last week.

Tried it out for the first time last Tuesday going into Epcot via Intl Gateway. Wanting to get in right at 2, I got there around 1:40. I actually didn't mean to get there quite that early but I was walking over from Beach Club and got there faster than intended. There were a couple of people hanging around looking like they were waiting to park hop. Mostly off to the side leaning in the waterside railing, I did the same. I could see that to the side of the Skyliner in the path leading backstage, there was a short section of stanchion, like literally one unit long, that had a couple of people standing behind it. I was thinking to myself, What are those people lined up for? Then a few minutes later, a CM came by and said that anyone waiting to park hop had to go wait in that line. Here's where some kind of signage would have been helpful. So we moved over there and waited in that line. Many others showed up and the line grew pretty long. They then came over and moved the line back over to the waterside railing where we were before. Then around 2 they started feeding us through the temp check and let us head in.

While all of this was happening, other guests were still able to enter Epcot, presumably because they weren't park hopping (or said that they weren't when the CM asked).

Wed I tried it again, same park, same entryway. I got there a little later to avoid much of a wait. This time, they started bringing us in earlier. I checked my watch and it was 1:53pm when I was through the tapstile and in the park. So my guess was that tapping in would work from at least 10 minutes early,

Thursday I tried park hopping at AK. Unlike Epcot, nobody was being held outside of the temp screening or security (presumably because at AK there's tons of room post security before you get to the tapstiles). There were a few people hanging out waiting to park hop but not that many, less than 10. So I put my prior knowledge to the test and tried to tap in at 1:50 and it worked, no issues. Didn't say I was park hopping, wasn't asked, just tapped in.

Friday I put my last theory to the test. I was heading back to Beach Club from DHS for lunch, and was getting off the Skyliner around 1:50pm, so I figured I try it and see what happens. I headed towards Epcot and the CM asked if I was park hopping and I said no, and was allowed through. Was able to tap in and enter no problem and didn't have to stand in the giant line they had people in at Intl Gateway.

So as of now, you can definitely get in 10 minutes prior to official park hopping start of 2pm, possibly earlier but I didn't test that. And it seems like their system of asking people if they are park hopping vs scanning a band is a bit flawed as the first time they did that, I immediately thought Well what if I said that I wasn't and just went in? I'm assuming they're only doing it to keep people from clogging up Intl Gateway but it seems like the easier thing would be to just start letting folks in if that big of a crowd is gathering. Probably not a big deal at all as most people are likely to answer honestly and wait to get in.
Scanning will tell them anyway, since if you’re park hopping it won’t show a park reservation.

So it’s absolutely to stop park hoppers clogging up the gates. If people are arriving with a reservation they should be allowed in. Park hopping is subject to capacity and the time can change so they can decide whether to let people in a few minutes early. They can also decide to keep you waiting longer if they need to, for example a large group arrive. But as a policy I agree they should be keeping you outside. If a crowd is forming you wait in line, out of the way. Some signage though would definitely help.

And frankly if someone said they weren’t park hopping and scanned in, I’d send them to the back of any line. Why should lying get you in early?

Last edited:

dreday3

Doesn't the magic band scan just show you have a reservation, be it for the day or for hopping?

Or can it differentiate between the type of reservation as it can between say a day ticket and a separate party ticket?

nickys

Premium Member
Doesn't the magic band scan just show you have a reservation, be it for the day or for hopping?

Or can it differentiate between the type of reservation as it can between say a day ticket and a separate party ticket?
You don’t make a reservation for hopping.

MelliesMimi

I'm a little confused, we are going in March and will have park hoppers. If I have a late dinner reservation in Epcot and go to MK in the morning I need to make a park reservation for MK. What happens if when I'm ready to hop to Epcot they are full? We will probably eat at Epcot every night. Is there an exception if you have dining reservations?

JohnD

I'm a little confused, we are going in March and will have park hoppers. If I have a late dinner reservation in Epcot and go to MK in the morning I need to make a park reservation for MK. What happens if when I'm ready to hop to Epcot they are full? We will probably eat at Epcot every night. Is there an exception if you have dining reservations?
I think 10/1 was the first time a park was declared "at capacity" to park hoppers and told to go another park. So that situation you ask about is extremely rare.

Disstevefan1

As long as you are not using an AP to enter the parks, I do not think you will have a problem. Besides that, I do not think EPCOT will ever close to capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom