Park Capacity

Namaari

Original Poster
So I just got off the phone with a cast member and one of the questions I inquired about is the current park capacity which she claims is 45% at the moment with restaurants keeping themselves at 35% capacity for the time being. I know Disney hasn't released hard numbers lately on what they're keeping capacity at, but it will be interesting to see how much they increase it for the 50th, assuming this cast member is accurate in her statement.

For people who have been at the parks recently, does it feel like 45% capacity right now (crowd-wise)?

disneygeek90

The thing about the capacity is that their definition of 45% capacity is 45% of the capacity where legally they're unable to let in more guests. Historically that would only happen to a couple parks a few times a year. I assume 45% is an average day at the park even pre covid. Due to reservations being widely available over the past few weeks I gotta think they're basically back to normal crowd levels. It definitely doesn't feel like it's limited anymore for covid reasons.

Fe Maiden

So I just got off the phone with a cast member and one of the questions I inquired about is the current park capacity which she claims is 45% at the moment with restaurants keeping themselves at 35% capacity for the time being. I know Disney hasn't released hard numbers lately on what they're keeping capacity at, but it will be interesting to see how much they increase it for the 50th, assuming this cast member is accurate in her statement.

For people who have been at the parks recently, does it feel like 45% capacity right now (crowd-wise)?

We were there 8/19-8/28. We waited no more than 25 minutes for any attraction. The only exception was Splash on 8/27 ahead of the Boo Bash when apparently it had been down all day. It opened up around 6 and we waited 40 minutes.

trainplane3

Why no specifics?
Specific numbers are very much one of those "do not share" things. If you know, you'll not want to share that for reasons. The very few number specific things I know were followed up by a blunt statement as to why it would be in my best interest to not share. (not that I had plans to anyways)

MJL92

We're planning our first christmas week (27th-1st) trip this year. I've been dreading the crowd levels, but it feels like with capacity limitations and the park pass system, this year's holiday week could end up being significantly less crowded than a typical year? Am I crazy for thinking that?

Namaari

Original Poster
The thing about the capacity is that their definition of 45% capacity is 45% of the capacity where legally they're unable to let in more guests. Historically that would only happen to a couple parks a few times a year. I assume 45% is an average day at the park even pre covid. Due to reservations being widely available over the past few weeks I gotta think they're basically back to normal crowd levels. It definitely doesn't feel like it's limited anymore for covid reasons.
You have to realize that 45% capacity it MK is like 45,000 people. 50,000-55,000 was an average number of guests pre pandemic with it being higher during busy times.

I went in late August and the parks seemed pretty dead compared to the same timeframe 3 years ago.
But I don't think capacity limits had anything to do with it.
Thank you for sharing! I honestly have/had no idea what 45% looks like, but numbers-wise it sounded appealing until you put it into perspective compared to pre-pandemic numbers. I guess I'll just prepare myself for a typical Nov/Dec crowd this year, maybe a little higher since it will be the 50th.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Never believe anyone who gives you numbers over the phone…
I can’t go into specifics but both of the numbers she gave you are not accurate.
I agree…she wouldn’t have access to those numbers

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have no inside info, but parks were packed mid-July. Would not use the recent slower period as evidence of reduced capacity.
That’s been covered in the news (legit news)…

there was a Covid “release” from may to July in travel…

it was “all over” then…and pent up demand exploded…the bubble burst

the targets and Publix were overrun and shelves were empty in Orlando. No waiters at restaurants…

but that has now died down. Outlook is not so good for travel…probably through winter…we’ll see beyond.

we may get that recession afterall that we tried to buy our way out of.

Last edited:

Brian

Disney is notoriously tight lipped about park capacity, including prior to COVID capacity restrictions. Anyone answering the phone would not be privy to that information. Disclosure of the actual numbers is on a strictly need-to-know basis, and not many actually do need to know.

DBF John

They have to follow a legal limit set by the fire marshall, I would think a call to Reedy Creek Fire & Rescue might provide an answer.

CntrlFlPete

They have to follow a legal limit set by the fire marshall, I would think a call to Reedy Creek Fire & Rescue might provide an answer.
I believe the Fire Marshall may set the maximum number of people that can be inside a building/ room, but the parks have tons of room outside of all its buildings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom