Trip Report Parenting... Just in a different location.

loc.jpg

As TRUE as this was.. I am back from an amazing FIRST family vacation with just us 3 and ready to report out all the fun (and drama lol)

When: Feb 3-11, 2023
Where: Polynesian!
Who: Me, my husband Ian and 13 month old daughter Nora

mick.jpg

tigger.jpg

I have SO much work to catch up on.. but I will try to be as speedy as humanly possible on this TR.

Here we go!!

Last edited:

annienevells

Original Poster
Day 4!

I woke up at 7 sort of in a panic because Nora wasn't up yet but she definitely needed to catch up on her beauty rest.

I decided I would enjoy a morning version of my solo soda-retrieving walk.

I was in a great mood because we had no rush - today was a resort day! Our only obligation was a 9 AM reservation for breakfast at Ohana.

97.jpg

The colors were just starting to brighten the sky as I walked.

98.jpg

I sat and enjoyed my soda on the beach and just watched the world go by. It was so relaxing and gave me a little zen after our crazy day prior.

99.jpg

I went to fill up my now empty cup before returning to the room.

100.jpg

I got back to the room just as Nora was waking up. She was veryyyyy sleepy.

101.jpg

We took our time getting up, changing, and giving Nora a pre-breakfast snack.

We headed over about 10 minutes before our reservation.

102.jpg

Nora was taking in all the views.

103.jpg

Excited little smile.

We were seated very quickly and I was SO excited about our table location.

104.jpg

This was our SAME table from when I brought Ian for the first time 😍

Throwback!
iann.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
The food started coming out pretty quickly!
105.jpg

I love the pineapple bread, and Nora was loving the fruit.

She was also in silly mood this morning and did lots of goofing off with dad.

106.jpg

All of our food arrived before any character meets, which was fine with us. We were hungry! Nora devoured lots of sausage and eggs, while we enjoyed all of it. Especially the potatoes!

107.jpg

The Mickey, Lilo, Stitch and Pluto danced around the dining room while we ate and Nora was transfixed.

Time for some waffles!

108.jpg

The first to arrive was Lilo. Nora was... confused by her. "why little girl shape if not little girl?"

109.jpg

Then we had Pluto! Nora LOVED Pluto. She figured out that he was a dog and that made it even better. She kept sticking her tongue out at him. She loves her dog, Gus, at home so this was super cute.

110.jpg

Up next was Stitch. Nora was super silly playing with him. She had no idea who he was, but it was still lots of fun.

111.jpg

Finally the big cheese! Nora had seen him around the room and was very excited whenever he passed by.

mickey.jpg

112.jpg

This interaction filled our hearts up, and our bellies!

After we paid our bill we headed to the room to change. It was finally time to take Nora to the Lava pool!

annienevells

Original Poster
The day was picture perfect. Some you folks from warmer climates might've been a bit chilly, but it was perfect for us!

Nora loved the zero entry pool. It was also still very quiet at the Lava pool as it had only just opened.

113.jpg

She also did some flirting with the lifeguard and blew him a bunch of kisses :inlove:

114.jpg

We swam, had snacks, explored the splash area, and just really relaxed and enjoyed ourselves. We were NOT ready to leave, but we knew it would be good to get Nora lunch before naptime.

Two peas in a pod here:

115.jpg

More pictures of the perfect weather of this day

116.jpg

Once Nora had lunch and crawled around the room for awhile she was out like a light for her nap in no time. Time for my me time!

117.jpg

I did my usually reading and swimming for a while before heading over to add some gift cards to our room charges. I think I have mentioned this before, but during the year we ask for Disney GCs for every birthday/holiday to lower our food costs.

After I added the gift cards I noticed that Donald was meeting out front in his 50th gear. I decided to grab a quick selfie!

118.jpg

I then decided to grab some lunch for us grown ups. I got Ian a burger and the stir fry with chicken for me. It was actually really good and hit the spot!

119.jpg

Once I returned to the room Ian and I discussed strategy for the evening. We decided that we wanted to bring Nora on a skyliner adventure, and Ian had never explored AoA resort.

Nora awoke from her beauty rest, snacked up, and we headed out to the bus.

120.jpg

A bus to HS arrived quickly, and we even had Shirley status!

121.jpg

122.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
Onto the skyliner!

This felt so extra magical to us. We rode the skyliner a lot on our last trip, our babymoon, as we were staying at Pop.

It was also the perfect time of day/weather for this with Nora.

123.jpg

She was immediately in awe.

124.jpg

I think the skyliner is her new favorite "ride", what do you guys think? 😍 😅

125.jpg

We finished our quick journey and arrived at AoA ready to set out to explore a bit.

126.jpg

I wanted to show Ian the Lion King area first as that is his childhood favorite Disney movie. Maybe tied with 101 Dalmatians.

127.jpg

Snapped this picture because I was matching Ursula.

128.jpg

And these two matched the fish (look at their faces lol)

129.jpg

We just walked leisurely along enjoying the early evening ambiance with all the other families. Ian was impressed by the pool areas and splash pads especially.

130.jpg

We decided to hit Landscape of Flavors for an easy supper. It was PACKED. And of course the items we wanted were not on mobile order. During our walk we talked about maybe next trip we stay here... and then promptly changed our minds I think! It just is THAT much more stressful to us.

Ian waited in line for our chicken parm dinners and some mac and cheese for Nora while I waited for a fresh pretzel I was promised it would be out in 2 minutes. Then 2 became 5.. became 15... then a nice CM came out at almost the 20 minute mark with a piping hot pretzel and told me it was on Mickey.

Thank goodness! I was starving. AND Ian was still waiting.

131.jpg

Nora and I snacked on some pretzel until finally Ian arrived. I think we all blacked out and ate non stop until it was all gone!

We headed out realizing it was past Nora's bedtime and we had a bit of a journey back to Poly. It did mean another Skyliner ride, which Nora was happy about!

Once we finally fought the good fight to get Nora to sleep, Ian pulls down the murphy bed and starts getting comfy. I asked what he was doing and he said "have YOU been comfortable sleeping?" I mean no... but... come on lol

He had a point. We are two big people and the bed just isn't big enough if you move much at night.

134.jpg

We waved goodnight to each other with a laugh, ready to take on our next day. Animal Kingdom!

k8einwdw

Ian waited in line for our chicken parm dinners and some mac and cheese for Nora while I waited for a fresh pretzel I was promised it would be out in 2 minutes. Then 2 became 5.. became 15... then a nice CM came out at almost the 20 minute mark with a piping hot pretzel and told me it was on Mickey.
We’ve noticed this issue the last few trips in the resort food courts. It doesn’t happen every time, but we’ve had multiple occasions where we had to wait 20+ minutes for food, which is not fun with a hangry toddler. I’m guessing they must be understaffed.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
We decided to hit Landscape of Flavors for an easy supper. It was PACKED. And of course the items we wanted were not on mobile order. During our walk we talked about maybe next trip we stay here... and then promptly changed our minds I think! It just is THAT much more stressful to us.

We had good experiences at Landscape of Flavors this trip but I don’t think we were ever there at peak times.

Last edited:

annienevells

Original Poster
We’ve noticed this issue the last few trips in the resort food courts. It doesn’t happen every time, but we’ve had multiple occasions where we had to wait 20+ minutes for food, which is not fun with a hangry toddler. I’m guessing they must be understaffed.

We had good experiences at Landscape of Flavors this trip but I don’t think were every there at peak times.

I think peak times is the key here but of course that is when my child wants to eat so.. fun was had 😅

annienevells

Original Poster
Animal Kingdom day!

But not only AK day. Today was also our date night! They were having the evening hours from 11 PM - 1 AM at MK this evening so we had booked a sitter with Kids Nite Out. We were already exhausted before the day started.. so let's see how this goes.

Nora woke up a bit tired too but so cute in her AK outfit.

135.jpg

We took a pretty full bus from Poly over to AK but made it there before park opening.

We were not headed to FoP (unfortunately) so we took a leisurely start to our day. We wanted to safari but they were not to open for another hour. Our first LL was for Navii River Journey at 9:30.

138.jpg

Some Photopass first! This was the best of the bunch. The sunlight in that spot at this time of day is tough.

With limited options we decided to head for Everest. I wasn't able to ride on our last trip because I was pregnant, so I was pretty excited!

136.jpg

137.jpg

I told Ian to go first and I would give Nora some breakfast.

We were able to watch him zoom by!

140.jpg

141.jpg

Then it was my turn! 😅

142.jpg

The line literally walked right onto the ride, so we ended up each riding twice while Nora snacked. This was such a fun way to start our day and put us in great moods.

Time for our safari! There was already a 30 minute wait, but this line has you bring your strollers with you up until the end which was a BLESSING for my back lol

143.jpg

144.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
We were sat in a row with another mom, dad and little one so it worked out perfectly.

Nora was so into seeing all of the animals.

145.jpg

146.jpg

Lots of pointing and "ooooooohs"

147.jpg

She smiled big at the huge rhino because she remembered him from a book we have!

148.jpg

She could NOT really see the lion from that distance but we did which was exciting.

150.jpg

A great time was had by all!

We were nearing the end of our LL window, so we had to really book it to Pandora. But.. we were SO hungry. Nora was the only one who had eaten. We got a popcorn refill and INHALED it quickly before heading out. No pictures because.. it wasn't pretty LOL

We made it for our LL just in time!

149.jpg

Our LL line was super fast and pretty immediately we were boarding our boat.

Nora was transfixed! I wish I could've had enough lighting to show her face. Just absolutely in AWE.

151.jpg

We called this one a win as well!

We took a couple pictures and had some water before leaving Pandora.

152.jpg

Where to next?

annienevells

Original Poster
Back from which we came!

But this time.. Festival of the Lion King! Ian and I were so excited. We love this show so much.

153.jpg

We were some of the last folks loaded into the theater, but my camera still had a good zoom for photos!

154.jpg

Nora was interested but fussy so I knew she was tired. I was stressing about leaving and sad about missing the show when all of a sudden she was out like a light. Within the first 10 minutes of the performance. With music BLASTING.

She slept for probably 20 minutes or so, and when the show ended we waited for most folks to clear out around us before leaving to delay waking her up until the last minute.

155.jpg

After FotLK (I mean.. Nora's nap), we were ready for lunch! And one of our favorites at that.

Flame Tree BBQ was our destination, pulled pork mac and cheese the dish. YUM.

156.jpg

We devoured this and Nora enjoyed her kids pork as well. She didn't really care for the graham crackers, but Ian and I enjoyed them for her 😅

During lunch we made a LL to meet Minnie and Mickey before we headed out of the park for the afternoon. But first - Kevin!

157.jpg

The line took a decent amount of time and Nora was tired. 20 minutes isn't even considered a NAP in her world. We were on borrowed time!

But soon enough it was time for the big cheese!

158.jpg

She was shy at first but then was all smiles looking at them!

159.jpg

163.jpg

Our last to-do was to get a picture at Dinosaur. This has become Ian's weird tradition every trip and we had to involve Nora this year. Even though we would not be riding, this was necessary.

160.jpg

161.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
With Ian's photo requirement filled we finally headed out of the park.

We grabbed Mickey ice cream sandwiches for the walk out and they really hit the spot as it was pretty hot out.

162.jpg

We caught a bus back to the Poly almost immediately with only a couple of other folks.

Remember how I said our date night required a 11 PM- 1 AM Magic Kingdom adventure? Looking at Ian on the bus ride.. I was beginning to fear for those late night plans

😴

164.jpg

He woke up as we arrived back at the Poly. Once I got both of my tired family members down for a nap I went on my way for my relaxtion time.

Pool, hot tub and Frosty Pineapple YUM

165.jpg

When I came back to the room everyone was still sleeping so I showered, changed, and headed back out to get some supper for Nora. Her sitter was to arrive at 6 PM.

Once she got up we played a bunch in the room, got her changed, and picked up the room. As an aside, our room was not serviced even the required one time for this length of stay. Not even trash removal. Tough situation when you have a baby in there!

166.jpg

We had a bit of anxiety about the sitter, naturally. We are a daycare family so we are used to strangers with our child but it is difficult no matter how you slice it. Playing through worst case scenario, etc. But when our sitter arrived she was very professional. Kids Nite Out has very rigorous and professional procedures to keep kids safe. We had a bunch of forms to go over with her, talked her through all of Nora's routines/dislikes/etc. I asked that she let me know when Nora fell asleep because I am a freak about sleep (which I guess is why I have a good sleeper lol)

Feeling much less anxious, Ian and I headed out to the monorail just after 6. Both of us agreed that we felt better now that we had met the sitter.

The sun was setting on our monorail ride and the Grand Floridian looked beautiful in the early evening light.

167.jpg

As did the castle as we entered MK!

I love Main St at sunset :inlove:

168.jpg

We stopped for a quick selfie!

169.jpg

The park was PACKED. Massively packed. I was grateful that I had secured a LL for Space during this time period. We originally wanted to do the PeopleMover but it was down yet again.

170.jpg

We passed by a very long line and were on space in about 15 minutes!

We exited to find lines upon lines in Tomorrowland so we settled for something relaxing.

171.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
After our always fun showing of Laugh Floor we exited to continued massive crowds. We decided we needed something to eat.. STAT.

Our choice was a Mickey pretzel, naturally, but they were all out 😭

We settled for a hot dog and a cream cheese pretzel. Meh.

172.jpg

We finished still hungry. With not much time before Enchantment, we headed to get a sweet treat instead.

173.jpg

This brownie sundae really hit the spot, and we probably needed the sugar to keep us going!

We were excited about Enchantment. Not because we heard anything great..... but we had not seen it and this was our only chance on a trip with a 13 month old!

174.jpg

175.jpg

176.jpg

This woman in front of me recorded the entire time with her phone held high in the sky. I think I only got 2-3 pictures without her phone in it. Boooooooooooo

177.jpg

It was... fine. We were so sad that we came right before HEA returned, but something to look forward to for the future! We were glad this wasn't Nora's first fireworks show at Disney for sure.

It seemed like the crowds refused to disperse, so we headed somewhere we thought nobody would be.. Small World!

And we were correct.

178.jpg

Until we exited to a 30 minute wait. Yikes! Glad we beat them to it.

180.jpg

We were trying to decide how to NOT get exhausted before the bonus hours even began at 11PM. We decided it was finally time for a ride on the PeopleMover. Back to Tomorrowland we go.

182.jpg

Quick picture of Gus Gus in honor of our Gus at home!

183.jpg

annienevells

Original Poster
On the walk over I received a text from the sitter letting me know that Nora had a nice evening and was now asleep in bed. That helped me feel a bit better!

184.jpg

After 10 minutes or so we were on board!

185.jpg

Happy faces to be on one of our favorite rides :)

186.jpg

I took about a million pictures of Tron as we passed, and also waved to the CM down below!

187.jpg

The extra hours for deluxe guests had officially begun but the crowds were still pretty hefty. We noted that Pirates had a 5 minute wait, so we booked it over there.

We went for a purposeful sleepy pose, but it appears some others were naturally a bit tired in this photo 😅

189.jpg

On to Big Thunder! I was extra excited for this as I was wearing my Frontierland sweatshirt from a few years back. I got a bunch of compliments from CMs!

I also did not get to ride on my babymoon so had missed it quite a bit.

188.jpg

190.jpg

Another great adventure on the wildest ride in the wilderness!

191.jpg

We headed to Haunted Mansion next. The wait said 25 minutes but we were on almost immediately.

193.jpg

Attachments

• 189.jpg
    189.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 28

annienevells

Original Poster
This picture makes me laugh. Ian looks like he is very intently telling me something lol

195.jpg

We got off HM and just stopped in our tracks EXHAUSTED. It was almost midnight, so another hour left, but we were so so tired. To our bones.

192.jpg

We decided to do Mine Train, since we can't with Nora and hadn't done it last trip, and then call it a night. Mine Train was still an almost 30 minute wait, but we PAINFULLY survived it.

196.jpg

mine train.jpg

We ultiamtely enjoyed the ride as usual, especially in the dark, but we were ready for bed.

197.jpg

We grabbed a quick photopass to commemorate our Disney Date Night.

198.jpg

111111.jpg

We got back to the Poly just before 1 AM, debriefed quickly with the sitter, and went to bed/fell asleep QUICKLY.

The next day was to be a relaxing day with no parks thank GOODNESS.

annienevells

Original Poster
Wednesday, Feb 8th

This day was exactly 50% amazing and 50% AWFUL.

So... here we go lol

Buckle Up Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

Fortunately after our late night Nora slept in, which allowed us to sleep in, and that was MUCH appreciated. On this day we had zero plans except dinner at Whispering Canyon. Ian had never been to the Wilderness Lodge so I was really looking forward to it and I thought Nora would enjoy the atmosphere as well.

Once Nora got up I brought her over to Captain Cooke's to get us all some breakfast. It was a little busy but we mobile ordered and had our meals pretty quickly.

199.jpg

Clapping at the lifeguards prepping for the day.

200.jpg

We all had some Mickey waffles and sausage. Mostly sausage for Nora honestly, as she is a big meats kind of gal.

201.jpg

We pulled the crib out of the shower area because Ian was desperate for the rainfall shower head. I got Nora ready for the pool and she enjoyed some Miss Rachel on YouTube while we waited for Ian.

202.jpg

We made it over to the Lava pool just after they opened and it was very quiet and shaping up to be a gorgeous day weather wise.

I had to take a picture documenting a family Crocs moment. Up until this trip Ian had adamantly fought against Crocs and now he is a total convert. LOVES them.

I also really love this picture 😍

203.jpg

We had such a blast swimming with Nora. She loved watching Ian go under the waterfall as it made her crack up. We took lots of snack breaks and went in and out of the pool frequently.

204.jpg

She won the heart of another lifeguard on this day who came by to bring her numerous rubber duckies during our time in the water. I think Nora's energy was just infectious on this morning. Full of smiles and laughing, splashing around.

205.jpg

Around noon we set out to dry off before leaving the pool, though none of us really WANTED to. We just knew that an angry tired toddler wouldn't be worth it.

206.jpg

Cool girl with mama's sunglasses.

207.jpg

Once back in the room we got Nora changed for her nap and she was out pretty quickly!

208.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom