Parental Superiority at Disney Parks...

SulleyanBoo

Seeing the below Tweet posted elsewhere on the internet this morning reminds me of several unpleasant run-ins with parents at WDW. The most prominent in my mind involve parents showing up at the last minute before a parade and trying to shove their child in front of me (having no children of my own and despite my having gotten there sometimes two hours in advance) because Disney Parks are "for the children". I can't be the only one who gets annoyed at being shoved into a backseat status because I choose to visit the parks as an adult with no offspring.

jrb_pi.jpg
yes! we do not have kids (yet) but, I have gotten stepped on, pushed, yelled at all the above by crazies at Disney. I TOTALLY understand you wanting your child to see everything and get the most of every characters attention ect but cmon some people are just iggnorant and unpleasant about it. If I am in a childs way/view of a parade and a little one needs to get in front of me to see something, I would without a doubt let them in front of me, all the parents have to do is be civil about it and not just stand in front of me or shove/push me around.

I have a curcumstance last year after Wishes. We all know how hectic that can be. I was locked arms with my dcp roommates and some lady with her kid literally grabbed my arm and my roommates arm and strongly unlocked us and smacked our arms and said "I have a damn kid with me!" needlessly to say I was mad but there was nothing I could do. I was just in shock.

tracyandalex

We have a 4 year and would never dream of shoving her in front of someone waiting for the parade. We know what time the parade is and if we chose to take the risk of possibly not getting the best spot ever, that is on us. Usually DH just carries her so she can see. We also do not appreciate others doing that to us. If we are asked we always let the child go in front of us, we really don't mind as long as our daughter can still see. We almost always wait a minimum of 30 mins for a parade and definitely get annoyed when folks show up at the last minute and try to shove their way in.

BCVTalsJam

I am soooo done with people sometimes at WDW...I am pretty sure I have gotten into a screaming match with five or ten people about pushing, shoving and not watching their children. Usually if you say something they get intimated and back off...Guess what your not a child and you should not be acting worse than your children and two its not my job or resposbility to watch your kids...UGH! Ok I feel better now.

stlbobby

Wow, what aggression. It sounds like WDW would be a much better place if they simply stopped letting in children unless their parents memorize the Unofficial Guide cover-to-cover so they can plan every detail of their vacation. We all know us adults who have seen the Main Street Electrical Parade five times can’t possibly be inconvenienced by someone who is taking their small children to WDW for the first time. WDW is, after all, all about me.

Who’s complaining WDW has become too regimented?

[Dripping with sarcasm in case anyone missed it.]

I completely understand the reaction when parents are being jerks. (I've seen adults without children act the same way.) However, do you really think most parents are jerks? Do you really think WDW is not completely overwhelming for infrequent guests? Don’t you have at least some sympathy for these folks?

I don't think it's about all parents being jerks, but I do think their is a bias that says if you have children you have more rights at WDW than if you don't. Sometimes that bias is outright and aggressive, sometimes it is just a look, and other times it is a sigh or sarcastic comment.

My stepson is now in graduate school and he went through a phase where he was too cool for Disney, so my wife and I gone many times without kids and I have often felt this bias. I have had people tell me outright--I shouldn't go without children, I was weird for going without children, I was insane for going without children, I was stupid for going without children, and even imply I had nefarious motives.

Is this bias universal? No, but it is big enough that the solo traveler or childless couple can feel it.

BCVTalsJam

Wow, what aggression. It sounds like WDW would be a much better place if they simply stopped letting in children unless their parents memorize the Unofficial Guide cover-to-cover so they can plan every detail of their vacation. We all know us adults who have seen the Main Street Electrical Parade five times can’t possibly be inconvenienced by someone who is taking their small children to WDW for the first time. WDW is, after all, all about me.

Who’s complaining WDW has become too regimented?

[Dripping with sarcasm in case anyone missed it.]

I completely understand the reaction when parents are being jerks. (I've seen adults without children act the same way.) However, do you really think most parents are jerks? Do you really think WDW is not completely overwhelming for infrequent guests? Don’t you have at least some sympathy for these folks?
NOPE! I know my parents never acted this way and taught me to act correctly...I never had to be told to stop stepping on other peoples pants as I am waiting in line lol...Its not everyone its just for someone reason I attract these people lol

Alison1975

Sorry my fault, I knew what you meant and I was just teasing you.

I used to have the toughest time with the parades and night shows with people pushing us out of the way. But then I found a better way, make friends with all the groups around you, start up some great conversations and then you all work together to make sure your kids can see. It make the parades and shows so much more enjoyable.

THIS..its exactly what we do. The Boo to You parade we got a spot in front of a food cart area in Frontierland ..we had more families come close and we filled in the space and I handed out my kids and the kids for 3 families near us a bunch of glow bracelets.made being a united front easier..lol. we had a couple push in the back of us ( did I mention the empty food cart thing was behind us and there wasnt really room) and kept trying to take picture with his camera literally over my shoulder..as in I could feel the lens. I was like..DUDE.. stop..NOW!

draybook

I have no problem with saving spots since that's what we do. However, we found a nice little spot that offers no wedge room for late comers and offers a great view of the parade.

/edited for clarity

I meant saving spaces for as long as it takes to use the latrine or grab some popcorn, not 2 hours leading up to the parade. I will admit that last month I did save spots for my daughter and wife for 30 minutes. They went to use their Space fastpasses and I went to see if our spot was open
It wasn't so I found a nice open spot with only two people standing behind the rope. I asked them if there was enough room for four people and they said yes.

Alison1975

NOPE! I know my parents never acted this way and taught me to act correctly...I never had to be told to stop stepping on other peoples pants as I am waiting in line lol...Its not everyone its just for someone reason I attract these people lol

thats it.. failure to plan on one persons part does not mean you get to intrude on someone elses space. It's not my problem you( broad based you here) didnt plan for the parade or whatever.. now I would never not be nice to small kids, but I have 3 of my own who have been waiting for the same thing and they have a mom who is aware of what's going on and they get the benefits of that. There is no book that needs to be read, it's called common courtesy and manners.

stlbobby

Wow, that's an amazing reaction people gave you. I visited WDW for more than 2 decades without children. Looks like I need to rethink my first 20+ years at WDW. There clearly is something wrong with me.;)

I keep going and loving it, and I've even used the comments as an opening to explain how WDW so much more than a kiddie park. Sometimes it is really a reaction out of ignorance. But the parents in the park who feel entitled just because they have children can be aggressive and annoying. You just have to deal and move on.

The Empress Lilly

I see that crap every time I go down to the world... if it isn't people expecting front row seats for their child it's people running you down with a stroller. HOLD UP EVERYONE, I have a kid! I'm going to bulldoze through everyone!

when I was a kid... these were my strollers
6690795.jpg

Disney%252520January%2525202012%252520001%25255B4%25255D.jpg

WAALKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK... 1.) these things are huge, 2.) you're too old to be riding in one of those
Totally. I think by that age I would've been way too embarrassed to be driven around in a baby stroller. :confused:

Nothing wrong with kids walking. It's healthy. And if they are too tired, leave the parks. Maybe with small kids you can't do fourteen hours a day, or even eight hours. Deal with it.

CP_alum08

I don't mean to offend but it sounds like common sense, short people in front, tall people in back. Exactly how does a 40" tall child standing in front of you block your view of the parade?

And yes, I let children in front of me for viewing parades, fireworks, characters, shows, etc. all the time.
It's not about the kid, it's about the parent. If the parents ask me politely if their kid can stand in front of me I will let them every time, usually squeeze in so the parent can get through too but if the parents just say "push your way through Johnny" I'll block the kid without a second thought.

BrittanyRose428

I don't even understand the concept of why people think kids should come before adults in WDW. I mean, I get the common ideas that WDW is only for children, and its not anyones fault this is a widespread idea because its been so highly marketed for kids, but how do you know that 30something year old you just pushed your kid in front of for the parade isn't seeing it for the first time too? It definitely all comes down to general rudeness, but the whole idea people have that their kids are more important than any adult is absurd.

whitethunder

I have what I call the "big dude effect". For some reason people think because I'm so tall, it is OK to put their wild child in front of me. Generally if someone just kindly ASKS me if their child can stand there I don't mind, but having no filter, the first time I get my sore toes stepped on I ask them kindly to get things under control. I don't care if you think I shouldn't be at the park without children, cause I myself am a giant child, until you step on my toes.

More than that, strollers me off. I will generally get out of the way, but sometimes I can't do it. Like when you are veering around and crazy driving the thing and your wheel ends up in my shin because you were to impatient to wait for a clear pass.

Kev1417

just got back from the world. There were so many freaking strollers it was hard to walk around. The stroller parking lots in fantasy land were rediculous!! This was during the slow time mind you. Most of the kids in the strollers were way to old to be in them. No wonder we are such a "large" country, our children are learning to be lazy at a very early age.

All these kids in the strollers just mean when they grow up we'll have a lot more motorized chairs in the parks. It's a never ending cycle!!!

I would love to see a comparision shot of main street 10-15 years ago compared to an exact same shot this year. The amount of walking children compared to strollers would be horrific.

Disneyhead'71

Status Update: It's 9:04am, we had a little trouble at the rope drop where Mom may or may not have trampled an ankle bitter. But we have made it down Main Street and have staked out our spot in the hub for our 937th viewing of "Wishes".

PhilharMagician

Parades, fireworks, strollers for tweens, strollers smashing ankles and lets not forget scooters scooters scooters and more scooters. The world is a tough place to visit. In the end it is people feeling entitled to the exact place you are because it is better. Instead of saying to themselves that next time they should plan better, they say move over I coming in! This is my world, my Walt Disney World, I paid for it.

awesomeinabox

I have what I call the "big dude effect". For some reason people think because I'm so tall, it is OK to put their wild child in front of me.
This is similar to the "little lady effect" I am about as tall as an average 13 year old girl so that makes it ok to put the wild child in front of me and then stand behind me to yell over my head at little Johnny.

If I ever have kids they should pray they behave at a park or else I will haul them back to the resort faster than Soarin' fills up in the morning and make them sit there until they learn to control themselves and behave in public. One thing I have taken to doing while in the parks is if I am in line next to a family who's children are well behaved or sit next to them at lunch or whatnot I will make sure I let them know that their children are fantastic and I wish all kids could be like them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom