Parental Superiority at Disney Parks...

ddrongowski

I see that crap every time I go down to the world... if it isn't people expecting front row seats for their child it's people running you down with a stroller. HOLD UP EVERYONE, I have a kid! I'm going to bulldoze through everyone!

when I was a kid... these were my strollers
6690795.jpg

Disney%252520January%2525202012%252520001%25255B4%25255D.jpg

WAALKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK... 1.) these things are huge, 2.) you're too old to be riding in one of those

This reminded me of something I saw last year. The child was so big that his knees where bleeding from scraping on the black top as his parents kept pushing the stroller. He was sitting infront of the baby in the stoller. And the parents were completely ignorant of the blood trail the child was leaving.o_O

awesomeinabox

I have no kids, I don't want them. That being said, when I travel to the World I do so in one of two ways. Alone with my boyfriend, or with 30 youth cheerleaders under the age of 11. The way I see it is if I can control 30 cheerleaders by myself and make sure they get to whatever parade they want to responsibly then parents can control the few children they travel with. The legend of one set of public push ups outside of ToT eight years ago has scared them all straight.

Just because you have two screaming kids doesn't mean you are better than me. If they can't behave and are throwing a fit then wait to take them to WDW or train them on how to behave at a 6 flags or something before coming to Disney World, it will make everyone's trip so much more enjoyable.

I think the better option is for the young family to plop down on the curb and sit the 3 and 5 year olds right beside you for the 2 hour wait. Kids are very tolerant of sitting still for 2 hours while in view of world class rides.
If the young family wants their kids to have a seat on the curb then grab some coffee, sit on the curb, and save it for them. Let your spouse or whatnot take the kiddos on Peter Pan for an hour and a half. My dad did this when I was a kid and it was great.

Mawg

Here's the killer with situations like this for me... if my son tries to get in front of someone I tell him not to. I make sure that the person hears me so they know I was not encouraging the behavior and I apologize directly to them. Y'know what usually happens next? 9 times out of 10, the person he got in front of usually then invites him to stand in front of them. In other words, a little politeness goes a long way. If you push your kid in front of someone else to get a better view, don't be surprised when they are unhappy and react accordingly. If you're polite and apologize when it happens beyond your control, you may just be pleasantly surprised with a nice person who has no problem sharing their personal space so a little one can see the action.

oh, the Passive Agressive approach, I like it.

Goofyernmost

If the young family wants their kids to have a seat on the curb then grab some coffee, sit on the curb, and save it for them. Let your spouse or whatnot take the kiddos on Peter Pan for an hour and a half. My dad did this when I was a kid and it was great.

And now we have opened up a whole new discussion of saving places for a parade. I'm staying out of that one!

muteki

I can't be the only one who gets annoyed at being shoved into a backseat status because I choose to visit the parks as an adult with no offspring.

I agree, this aggravates me so much. There are times when people have asked and I have been fine with it, but it is amazing how many people do not ask. We don't prepare in advance to have a half decent view to share it with random people's kids.

ExtinctJenn

oh, the Passive Agressive approach, I like it.
No no don't misunderstand. I'm saying I apologize legitimately. I'm not saying to do it hoping that the person hears you and says "go ahead." I'm saying if you are a polite human being and you apologize when your child cuts someone off or gets in front of them you'd be amazed at the reaction many people will have. In other words, be considerate, follow the "golden rule" and sometimes other human beings respond in kind!

Pooh'sBuddy

If that happens to us next time, we may have to have an emergency stash of cotton candy and soft drinks to offer those kids, making sure that their parents see that we want to sugar up the kids for their later viewing enjoyment.

Britt

Here's the killer with situations like this for me... if my son tries to get in front of someone I tell him not to. I make sure that the person hears me so they know I was not encouraging the behavior and I apologize directly to them. Y'know what usually happens next? 9 times out of 10, the person he got in front of usually then invites him to stand in front of them. In other words, a little politeness goes a long way. If you push your kid in front of someone else to get a better view, don't be surprised when they are unhappy and react accordingly. If you're polite and apologize when it happens beyond your control, you may just be pleasantly surprised with a nice person who has no problem sharing their personal space so a little one can see the action.
I would totally do that (invite them to come stand in front of me) and probably squish and make room for you too! Politeness sooooo goes a long way, even when I dont know Im being manipulated...ROFL

Britt

And now we have opened up a whole new discussion of saving places for a parade. I'm staying out of that one!
OOOO, See THIS I dont mind too much when it's not a giant space. If it's a giant space, suddenly Im deaf.

But we've gotten to those parades 1+ hours and sit and wait and I'll send my husband to get us drinks. It's only 1 person and I usually move my stroller into the place so it doesn't LOOK like an open space. But me and the kids stay put.

Tinkerbell 8

I have the solution for parents that want their child to have a good view of parades. I have used this technique in the past, and it works very well. But most parents will not do this because they are sad, weak, pathetic losers. Here is the solution......

"Put your child on your shoulders, and let them enjoy the parade from a sky box view."

Yes I can already here the "but I have 2 plus kids..." parents. Well man and woman up and get them on your shoulders. Don't be a wuse, after all what kind of example are you being to your offspring.

For the first 3 years of going to WDW, I carried my kid on my shoulders everywhere (I even did this with a thrown lower back). The first time he was 4 years old (so do the math). Never had to do the stroller thing, and it worked out like a champ. After all if it is so important that the child(ren) get to have the best view at a parade. Then they need to always have the best view at all times. The view from a stroller? Yes they are looking a butts:eek: .

This is one of my pet peeves and it seems to happen to me every time I am watching the fireworks at MK. I always pick out my spot at least and hour and a half before the parade/fireworks begin because I want a good spot. And it never seems to fail that 5 minutes before they start a family pushes in front of us and lifts their kid onto their shoulders to watch the fireworks. First of all, fireworks are up in the sky, so there is no need for this. Second of all I wouldn't mind it if the kid was small, but i've seen parents lifting their 8+ year olds up to watch, along with the kids balloon, light up spinny thing and food that somehow always manages to fall onto me. If you must lift you kid up on your shoulders, the polite thing would be to find a spot where there is no one behind you, like up against a building, on the bridge to Tomorrowland, etc.

The issue with that is the curbs were not designed to be sat on. If the intent was for people up front to sit they would have installed benches. Yes, it is handy if no one wants to get in front but actually if you think about your body position you are taking up more than one spot. Very close to two by your body configuration. That is one of the reasons why you are not allowed to bring in collapsible chairs. It is okay to sit waiting for the parade to start but once it starts the normal situation is to stand. You will still be in front of the group but not take up more than your share of space. Doing that not only takes up room in front but helps to lessen room behind you for people to stand.

I don't see how sitting on the curb takes up more room than standing. Its not like people are laying out on blankets taking up the entire walkway. And isn't it better if people in front sit so that they don't block the view of the people behind them?

ExtinctJenn

I would totally do that (invite them to come stand in front of me) and probably squish and make room for you too! Politeness sooooo goes a long way, even when I dont know Im being manipulated...ROFL
Man my response totally got twisted! LOL! I wasn't saying to fake it to manipulate the person. I was saying the "politeness sooooo goes a long way" thing. LOL!

KCheatle

Honestly, I'm kinda torn with this topic. The thing I always tell myself, my hubby and my kids when we experience rudeness at Disney world (from adults or children) is that this is not the first time we've been here and won't be the last time. In other words, for some people, that trip, that parade, that show, that meet and greet, whatever it is - it may be the only time in their life that they will ever get to experience it. No, I don't promote rudeness of any sort, but I try to understand their rationale for acting in those ways. When my kids see characters or shows, they are excited, but they know that if they don't meet Chip and Dale now, they'll meet them later and if they don't see the parade this time, they'll see it a different time. My kids and my family have an understanding which keeps us from getting extreme because we know this isn't our only shot at this. But, for many, it is. And, for those people, I think, "If it's that important to you that you are going to act that like, then just go ahead." In my opinion, it's not worth a fight and it's not worth getting mad about because all that does is allow that person to ruin my fun and my day. And, when I'm in Disney I can't afford to let any of my time be ruined by someone else. So, we just figure out ways to deal with people like that (adults and children) because every trip we have the same problem. The best thing about it though is the fact that I experience it that "every time" means I'm get to experience Disney World a lot.

meeskamickey

For me, it comes down to manners. Whether or not you have children, anyone pushing their way in front of others is just rude. I can't imagine letting any of my children push their way to the front. I would be totally embarrased that my child acted that way and they would be in a heap of trouble when I caught up to them (including apologizing to anyone they tried to cut in font of). Anyway, that's just my take.

Alison1975

For me, it comes down to manners. Whether or not you have children, anyone pushing their way in front of others is just rude. I can't imagine letting any of my children push their way to the front. I would be totally embarrased that my child acted that way and they would be in a heap of trouble when I caught up to them (including apologizing to anyone they tried to cut in font of). Anyway, that's just my take.

agreed 100%!

ddrongowski

This is one of my pet peeves and it seems to happen to me every time I am watching the fireworks at MK. I always pick out my spot at least and hour and a half before the parade/fireworks begin because I want a good spot. And it never seems to fail that 5 minutes before they start a family pushes in front of us and lifts their kid onto their shoulders to watch the fireworks. First of all, fireworks are up in the sky, so there is no need for this. Second of all I wouldn't mind it if the kid was small, but i've seen parents lifting their 8+ year olds up to watch, along with the kids balloon, light up spinny thing and food that somehow always manages to fall onto me. If you must lift you kid up on your shoulders, the polite thing would be to find a spot where there is no one behind you, like up against a building, on the bridge to Tomorrowland, etc.

This is exactly what I meant. I did do this. Also for myself, I already had my child on my shoulders. So if you got there prior to the event, you would already see my child on my shoulders in advance, and would choose a different area. Basically, the only time my child was not on my shoulders was, bathroom breaks, sit down eating, on a ride, or where the queue would not allow it, and of course back at the room. That way he did not get tired and he, mom and I did not get cranky.

popcenturylover

Yeah, I was so annoyed at the Halloween Parade because we had been in our spot for about 45 min. when some lady pushes in between us & another family and puts her 2 kids there & tried to put one of them right in front of the stroller that my daughter was sitting in! I said really? You're going to push your way in here 2 min. before the parade starts & put your kid in front of mine? She got the fact that I was not happy & handed one of the kids back to Dad & he put the kid on his shoulders. Some people are sooooooo rude!!!

Mawg

No no don't misunderstand. I'm saying I apologize legitimately. I'm not saying to do it hoping that the person hears you and says "go ahead." I'm saying if you are a polite human being and you apologize when your child cuts someone off or gets in front of them you'd be amazed at the reaction many people will have. In other words, be considerate, follow the "golden rule" and sometimes other human beings respond in kind!

Sorry my fault, I knew what you meant and I was just teasing you.

I used to have the toughest time with the parades and night shows with people pushing us out of the way. But then I found a better way, make friends with all the groups around you, start up some great conversations and then you all work together to make sure your kids can see. It make the parades and shows so much more enjoyable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom