Parental Superiority at Disney Parks...

Thessair

Original Poster
Seeing the below Tweet posted elsewhere on the internet this morning reminds me of several unpleasant run-ins with parents at WDW. The most prominent in my mind involve parents showing up at the last minute before a parade and trying to shove their child in front of me (having no children of my own and despite my having gotten there sometimes two hours in advance) because Disney Parks are "for the children". I can't be the only one who gets annoyed at being shoved into a backseat status because I choose to visit the parks as an adult with no offspring.

jrb_pi.jpg

Disneyhead'71

Everytime I think of adult "Disney Fans", I always think of the 300 lb. 60 year old woman who physically pushed my 6 year old daughter out of her way at the Mary Poppins Tea Party when the hostess brought out the exclusive Tea Party pins.

Thessair

Original Poster
I'm not at all saying adult park fans are without fault. That kind of behavior is inexcusable. There is no reason for pushing anyone, especially a child. But it gets frustrating when parents tell me what I have to do because they have a child and their child must take precedence over an adult.

Disneyhead'71

Oh, I was just commenting on the entitlement attitude of the adult Disney fans that I think plays into what you are talking about. It is the adults that are pushing their little princesses in front of you. To be quite honest, all the kids I know would rather be riding rides than watching parades anyway.

Thessair

Original Poster
Oh, absolutely! The kids aren't usually the problem. Heck, if the kids are terrors then the parents could be the likely cause of that, too. If a parent is of a generally decent sort, I have no issue letting their children pop in front of me to see better. It just seems the scary, pushy type parents often seem to that feel people there without children should have no say.

ParentsOf4

The most prominent in my mind involve parents showing up at the last minute before a parade and trying to shove their child in front of me (having no children of my own and despite my having gotten there sometimes two hours in advance) because Disney Parks are "for the children".
I don't mean to offend but it sounds like common sense, short people in front, tall people in back. Exactly how does a 40" tall child standing in front of you block your view of the parade?

And yes, I let children in front of me for viewing parades, fireworks, characters, shows, etc. all the time.

G00fyDad

This happens to everyone every time they go to Disney. Each time we get seated for a parade and have perfect spots, right on the edge of the line, some idiot comes along with their gaggle of uncontrolled offspring and tries to sit right in front of us. This even happened outside of Pecos Bills one year while we were sitting on the stone wall on the edge of the walkway waiting for the 3:00 parade (yes, it starts at 3:00. lol) and some idiot tried sitting on the ground at our feet and shoving back against us. ?!?!? Yeah, that didn't last long as they were getting kicked, griped at, and stomped on by us and the family next to us. People will always come up to you and try to sit in front of you, even though you were there first and sitting right on the tape line the CMs put down. They will even try scooting back when the CM tells them to please move behind the line. LOL Yeah, and they get my foot in their back because I refuse to move for them to scoot back into my spot.

G00fyDad

I don't mean to offend but it sounds like common sense, short people in front, tall people in back. Exactly how does a 40" tall child standing in front of you block your view of the parade?

And yes, I let children in front of me for viewing parades, fireworks, characters, shows, etc. all the time.

It's different when you're sitting down and the child is standing. OR, you have been sitting on the "tape line" for one or two hours only to have Mr. and Mrs. Tardiness show up with their special little one and try to sit in front of you.

ParentsOf4

It's different when you're sitting down and the child is standing. OR, you have been sitting on the "tape line" for one or two hours only to have Mr. and Mrs. Tardiness show up with their special little one and try to sit in front of you.
I get where you are coming from. In my experience there are 3 types: those that try to shove their way in front of me, those that ask nicely if their child can sit/stand in front of me, and those that suffer silently behind me. The first type is out-of-luck with me. I'm more than willing to accommodate the next 2 types. (When I line up to watch something, I always look behind me to see if there is some child struggling to see. Again, to me, it's just common sense; short people in front, tall people in back.)

Thessair

Original Poster

I don't stand. I sit on the curb as not to block the view of people behind me. But if I am there one-two hours before the parade starts I don't appreciate anyone telling me I have to let their kids get in front of me because they didn't have the foresight to plan ahead. As I said, and even as you said, I have no problems making adjustments for people, as long as they aren't rude and bossy.

Exactly.

powlessfamily4

I can't be the only one who gets annoyed at being shoved into a backseat status because I choose to visit the parks as an adult with no offspring.

I agree 100%. I am all for kids being able to view the parade and feel sorry for the ones who have complete idiots for parents. If you want child to experience the parades up close, it is your responsibility as a parent to plan accordingly. People in general have become bullies in demanding their own way in society and I think it stinketh!

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" So to break it down, I don't find your family overly special and I will not give up the spot I scouted and laid claimed to for my family because you're a slacker.

Britt

I would totally be annoyed too!! It's not so much you don't want the kid there, next to you or anything, but the parents who feel their kid is more important then anyone else who has stood there waiting for 1+ hours, that they can just crowd their kid in. They could at LEAST ask if it's ok first. But to decide that because you're an adult, your space and your desire to see the parade and ENJOY it is less important then them and their kid??? NO. If it was so important, get your bootay here 1+ hour ago ;)

wiigirl

Ughh...hate that :p
75.gif

ddrongowski

I have the solution for parents that want their child to have a good view of parades. I have used this technique in the past, and it works very well. But most parents will not do this because they are sad, weak, pathetic losers. Here is the solution......

"Put your child on your shoulders, and let them enjoy the parade from a sky box view."

Yes I can already here the "but I have 2 plus kids..." parents. Well man and woman up and get them on your shoulders. Don't be a wuse, after all what kind of example are you being to your offspring.

For the first 3 years of going to WDW, I carried my kid on my shoulders everywhere (I even did this with a thrown lower back). The first time he was 4 years old (so do the math). Never had to do the stroller thing, and it worked out like a champ. After all if it is so important that the child(ren) get to have the best view at a parade. Then they need to always have the best view at all times. The view from a stroller? Yes they are looking a butts:eek: .

ddbowdoin

I see that crap every time I go down to the world... if it isn't people expecting front row seats for their child it's people running you down with a stroller. HOLD UP EVERYONE, I have a kid! I'm going to bulldoze through everyone!

when I was a kid... these were my strollers
6690795.jpg

Disney%252520January%2525202012%252520001%25255B4%25255D.jpg

WAALKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK... 1.) these things are huge, 2.) you're too old to be riding in one of those

ddrongowski

Not offended, and do get offended either, but it's not always about the view for some. It is the interaction with the characters. And yes they interact with adults.

ExtinctJenn

Here's the killer with situations like this for me... if my son tries to get in front of someone I tell him not to. I make sure that the person hears me so they know I was not encouraging the behavior and I apologize directly to them. Y'know what usually happens next? 9 times out of 10, the person he got in front of usually then invites him to stand in front of them. In other words, a little politeness goes a long way. If you push your kid in front of someone else to get a better view, don't be surprised when they are unhappy and react accordingly. If you're polite and apologize when it happens beyond your control, you may just be pleasantly surprised with a nice person who has no problem sharing their personal space so a little one can see the action.

Goofyernmost

I don't stand. I sit on the curb as not to block the view of people behind me. But if I am there one-two hours before the parade starts I don't appreciate anyone telling me I have to let their kids get in front of me because they didn't have the foresight to plan ahead. As I said, and even as you said, I have no problems making adjustments for people, as long as they aren't rude and bossy.

The issue with that is the curbs were not designed to be sat on. If the intent was for people up front to sit they would have installed benches. Yes, it is handy if no one wants to get in front but actually if you think about your body position you are taking up more than one spot. Very close to two by your body configuration. That is one of the reasons why you are not allowed to bring in collapsible chairs. It is okay to sit waiting for the parade to start but once it starts the normal situation is to stand. You will still be in front of the group but not take up more than your share of space. Doing that not only takes up room in front but helps to lessen room behind you for people to stand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom