Parent Swap?

UKDisneyAddict

Original Poster
Hi,

My husband is unable to go on rides that go round & round (eg Teacups, Dumbo, etc). The teacups are fine because I can go on with both of our Children (age 3 & 6), but the problem is mainly with Dumbo and any similar rides that can only seat two. So, my question is: it is possible for all four of us to line up and do a parent swap, where my husband waits with one child while I ride with the other, then the children swap places? I feel that they are too young to ride together without a adult with them, but both would love to experience the ride.

Thank you in anticipation of your advise and I apologise if this has been raised before.:)

Chape19714

Not all rides offer Rider Swap. You should check at the attraction for your options, or talk to Guest Relations to find out which rides offer the service.

JiminyandTink

Not all rides offer Rider Swap. You should check at the attraction for your options, or talk to Guest Relations to find out which rides offer the service.

I didn't realize that all attractions didn't offer ride swap. We're taking our one year old in April so I'll have to look into that, Thanks!

KingStefan

Also, Dumbo can easily seat one adult and two children...

-Rob
That really depends on the size of the adult (and to some extent of the children). Even two little kids couldn't ride with me, for example.:lol::(
I didn't realize that all attractions didn't offer ride swap. We're taking our one year old in April so I'll have to look into that, Thanks!
I tried to find some info about this in the Unofficial Guide. It seems to me that while switching off is normally done when a younger child doesn't want to ride, and therefore is more common on attractions "oriented to more mature guests" (I'm assuming they mean big kids and adults, and not seniors!:lol:), there is no "list" that I'm aware of where you can or cannot do switching off. What with people bringing infants and whatnot, I imagine that switching off is theoretically allowed for any attraction.

Remember, this is supposed to be the happiest place on earth, and there is not one single CM worth his weight in pixie dust who will not do everything that he or she can possibly do (as long as it is not prohibited and it is within reason) to make your stay a magical as possible.

So ask a CM what to do (best to do it before you get on line). I'm sure they will be able to accomodate you somehow. They will probably do something like this: the four of you wait on line together. Tell the CM at the load point that you are going to switch off because DH can't ride, and DW will ride twice, once with each kid. You board with kid #1, and the CM will let others by DH and kid #2 ("please stand over here with your child, sir") until the ride is full. When you're ride is done, come back to the load point, give kid #1 to DH, and they exit. You ride with kid #2 and exit. Done. It's really just like swaping a kid who doesn't want to ride, except the one who skips the ride is an adult.

Good luck. Let us know how you work it out.

Phonedave

I don't see a problem with it. I was told that with ride swap the older childern could go again. Example

Dad waites with 2 y/o Mom rides with 7 y/o then they switch, and Dad rides with 7 y/o and Mom waits with 2 y/o. The 7y/o gets to go twice. I have done this myself on a number of attractions. SInce they let the parents switch and the kid go twice, why not let the parent go twice and the kid switch. Makes sense to me.

And, of course it's your call, and whatever you are comforable with and you know your kids best, but I would have let my girls ride Dumbo alone at 6 y/o. Maybe not SM or BTMRR, but Dumbo yes. But again, its your call, no need to respond or justify yourself. just thowing that out there, thats all.

-dave

wdweric2.0

I have a similar question, can we "parent" swap? for example: my wife and I both want to ride Mission Space but none of children can ride, can i ride by myself and then swap so my wife can ride by herself? Or do we both just get fastpasses?

Chape19714

I have a similar question, can we "parent" swap? for example: my wife and I both want to ride Mission Space but none of children can ride, can i ride by myself and then swap so my wife can ride by herself? Or do we both just get fastpasses?
that would work on Child swap as long as you are watching a child. Ask about Child Swap, if you want to go Stand-by, otherwise, get 2 fastpasses and use one at a time.

KingStefan

Eric is correct. I just wanted to point out that what you have described here is exactly what is meant by "child swap".

TakeMeThere81

that would work on Child swap as long as you are watching a child. Ask about Child Swap, if you want to go Stand-by, otherwise, get 2 fastpasses and use one at a time.

My DH and I child swap all of the time, because our youngest can't go on everything yet. We get one FP per ride we know we'll have to child swap, because the CM at the entrance to the FP line also will give out a child swap. You can use a combo FP/Child swap (pretty cool cause it means you can get different FPs for different larger rides). And yes, our older child(ren) get to ride twice. Cool for them.

If it is a ride that even infants can ride, don't bet on any sort of child swap. In cases like rotating rides, they will probably make an exception, but since three of you will most likely fit in any sort of ride vehicle, it probably won't be necessary.

Chape19714

My DH and I child swap all of the time, because our youngest can't go on everything yet. We get one FP per ride we know we'll have to child swap, because the CM at the entrance to the FP line also will give out a child swap. You can use a combo FP/Child swap (pretty cool cause it means you can get different FPs for different larger rides). And yes, our older child(ren) get to ride twice. Cool for them.

If it is a ride that even infants can ride, don't bet on any sort of child swap. In cases like rotating rides, they will probably make an exception, but since three of you will most likely fit in any sort of ride vehicle, it probably won't be necessary.
Technically, that's cheating the system. CM's can ask to see both Fastpasses in order to give you a rider swap. (if you use Fastpass)

IRBIWDW

My husband and I just did this. Our son is too little to ride the big rides, so we took turns riding by ourselves. On some rides we got the child swap ticket, on some rides we just used Fastpasses, and on some rides, we used the single rider line. On Rock 'N Roller Coaster we used the single rider line. It moved faster than the Fastpass line. Just ask the CM at the ride entrance. Have fun!! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom