Parades interfering with rfid?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I would question the reliability of the source. RFID doesn't tend to be interfered with by other technology. It operates on very short range transmissions and not likely on the same frequencies as what they're suggesting is interfering.

My personal opinion.

awoogala

Original Poster
I would question the reliability of the source. RFID doesn't tend to be interfered with by other technology. It operates on very short range transmissions and not likely on the same frequencies as what they're suggesting is interfering.

My personal opinion.
good point. It is a rumor, so I thought I'd post it either way, but it is from the Dis board ;), so take it with a grain of salt!

msteel

At my place of employment, vehicles have RFID tags for tracking and to automate access after hours for authorized vehicles. When first deployed they used active tags and either the readers or the tags generated signals that were audible on my car's radio. So interference is plausible, since wireless mics are essentially low powered radio stations.

Interference of this sort is also not something that would necessarily be expected to occur, since the two technologies use very different RF spectrum (or not, since there are some wireless mics that use the 2.4GHz spectrum used by RFID, etc). I can see how this possibility could have been overlooked.

Zman-ks

NOTHING connected with Disney IT gets tested.
75.gif

I agree...I think they design it with the plan to iron out the problems later.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Very unlikely. The entertainment was cut because it was not very well received by guests. Something will come in its place.

Between this piece, and Jim Hill's one earlier today, it seems like Disney is prepping the general public for some delays in the RFIC rollout, to say the least....

dcibrando

C'mon guys....think about it. If the parade floats wireless mics interfered with RFID or visa versa at DHS wouldn't this be a problem with other places and parks with wireless mics as well?

This is not an IT problem...and not an interference problem. It was a parade problem or they are planning for bigger and better things :)

truecoat

I read somewhere the parades are being cut due to coming construction ala Carsland 2 or Star Wars. The current parade building is on the chopping block and that's why they need to stop the parades.

Sped2424

LOL!!! Sorry... Here this will help..

Fix the yeti. Stupid Disney. Everything is their fault. Universal is the best. Remove the hat. Don't rip Carsland. Fix tomorrowland. Tangled bathrooms? We need more monorails. Bus drivers are liars. Bring back Spectro. Etc etc lol
And now we have come full circle in this thread like they always end up doing lol :p

bsiev1977

Very unlikely. The entertainment was cut because it was not very well received by guests. Something will come in its place.

I read the story, and I don't buy it. Why wouldn't there be the same interference at the other parks?

Everyone should remember, just because someone online says they have a "reliable source", doesn't mean there is a shred of truth to what they say.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Completely False. Typical RFID tags (for this purpose) operates at Low Band < 50 MHz, because they do not require a large data bandwidth. Your typical Wireless mic (even the fancy digital ones operates on UHF (450 Mhz and up ) not including anything in the 700 MHz region thank you FCC.

flynnibus

Premium Member
At my place of employment, vehicles have RFID tags for tracking and to automate access after hours for authorized vehicles. When first deployed they used active tags and either the readers or the tags generated signals that were audible on my car's radio. So interference is plausible, since wireless mics are essentially low powered radio stations.

Interference of this sort is also not something that would necessarily be expected to occur, since the two technologies use very different RF spectrum (or not, since there are some wireless mics that use the 2.4GHz spectrum used by RFID, etc). I can see how this possibility could have been overlooked.

Your concepts are right.. but your facts are off.

RFID does not use 2.4GHz... there are 2.4GHz radios in the braclets but that is not RFID. 2.4GHz is an unlicensed spectrum and is not in use for the wireless audio or control stuff... because.. it's an unlicensed crowded spectrum. And unless you wanted every bluetooth and wifi enabled smartphone in the park screwing you over.. you don't put internal comms on open 2.4GHz spectrums.

RFID is on either 13.xMHz (HF) or the low 900-ish MHz frequencies (UHF). Wireless audio used by entertainment and the like would be on licensed audio channels to avoid interference. But even in the licensed spectrum (licensed doesn't necessarily mean an exclusive right) there are interference issues with other technologies in the band. For instance, for Shure (really the #1 mic company) - they have a tool to help you pick which channels you should use in your area
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/tools/wireless-frequency-finder

But either way.. this seems like pure bunkus. It was already discussed in another thread.. and already discussed and put down on DIS. I don't know why the OP had to reboot the rumor.

Jakester

I could kind of see this being part of the reason. Just shows you, It might look good on paper, but it won't be so pretty in reality.

Gringrinngghost

Okay, the RFID would NOT interfere with the wireless microphones of performers or the electronics as NONE of the electronics or microphones operate at the frequencies that RFID uses. I can't do a long post on it right now but here a chart for RFID frequencies.

rfid.png

Mr Bill

I could see this spread around internally as a reason for killing the parade and shows (remember when those tarps at Splash Mountain were to provide the CMs with shade?), but I'm also sure it's absolutely not grounded in reality.

gsimpson

The original topic of the post is just complete nonsense from a technical standpoint but this is a rumor board and unlike many on this board I do not expect everyone who posts to be an actual technical expert on every single facet of every single Disney project. I have to say I admire and am a little bit surprised that there are so many programmers and IT folks on this board that are of such a high caliper and highest level of knowledge about Disney's multiple IT related departments (there is not a single overarching IT department - a good number of technology departments all do their own bits for different specialized areas of the operation) that they can make statements about Disney IT having no quality control, no testing, and in general being wholly incompetent. Some have apparently now moved from the more common "everything Disney does is stupid, evil, greedy, or some combination there of" to being derisive and insulting to cast members who spend a lot of time and effort trying to make a one of a kind system actually work, even though it isn't Horizons, World of Motion, or the Lights of Winter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom