Parade watching

GoofyMom2

I would really like to see the different parades at MK and the one at AK this year.

Could you all please share your favorite spots to watch them? Also, how early you need to stake out these spots etc. And any tricks to make the time pass while waiting with 2 kids, ages 6 and 9. (like get a snack from the bakery etc).

Thanks so much!!:wave:

Captain Hank

My favorite place to watch SpectroMagic is in Liberty Square. It's across the street from the Liberty Tree Tavern, right along the Rivers of America. There's a short wall there that's just the right height for sitting on, and the area is wide enough for the Chernabog float to open up its wings. I got there about 20 mins before the parade started and didn't have any problem--I was pretty much front row. However, I believe that this was the second run of the parade that night, so it was less crowded than the first run.

Upvote 0

aeillill

For the Magic Kingdom I gernally watch right outside the entrance to Tomorrowland. It's the best for parades & fireworks IMO. Generally i get there about an hour before the event starts and even then I find I still have some competition for a curb spot, if you're not that picky i'd say maybe 45-30 minutes early should still get you a decent spot to watch from .

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I agree that Liberty Square is a good place to find a spot to wait for the parade. Also, in Frontierland I believe there are some wooden planters around big trees that are great for parade watching. (A comfy seat that doesnt involve sitting on the ground) I think they might be infront of the passage way to Adventureland. (Very closely located to bathrooms) The nighttime parade starts on Main St so it takes a long time for the parade to reach that area but you'll get a great seat. The afternoon parade starts out in Frontierland so you'll be one of the first to view it and as soon as it is over you can hop on line for Splash Mountain or Big Thunder before everyone else bc they are still watching the parade.

As far as AK is concerned i'm not sure there really are good seats for this parade. Ive only seen it a handful of times but ive reached the conclusion that AK is just not set up to have a parade. The sidewalks just arent big enough and I always feel like im going to get run over by the parade. When i do see it though I try to sit by Pizzafari...the path there is a little bit wider and there are some nice shade trees. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
My favorite place to watch the Share A Dream Come True Parade is right at the bend by the Confectionary on Main Street. Normally we head to the Main Street area around 1:30 and get some ice cream at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor and candy at the Confectionary. While my brother and I play checkers outside the Confectionary, the rest of my party sits along side the street to get a good spot just outside the candy shop. Normally this is a very good spot to watch the parade!!

"Wishes. Dreams. Magic."

Upvote 0

jimmyritt33

There is NO better place to watch or videotape a MK parade than from the second floor of the train station. You get the view of all of Main Street with the castle in the background, you get a birds eye view of the entire parade. Show up early, like an hour.

Upvote 0

Kadee

jimmyritt33 said:
There is NO better place to watch or videotape a MK parade than from the second floor of the train station. You get the view of all of Main Street with the castle in the background, you get a birds eye view of the entire parade. Show up early, like an hour.

I agree with the spot; it is by far the best place. However, you need to get there a couple of hours before it starts...at least! I've seen it staked out WAY before it starts. I just don't have the time to waste sitting there for several hours waiting on the parade to start.

As far as AK goes, I remember seeing the Mulan parade there YEARS ago. I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was right before a bridge where there are benches on both sides of the walkway. They don't allow anyone to stand or sit in front of you, so it is a comfy front row seat. The only problem that day is it was about 95 degrees (F) and there was NO shade. VERY hot!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Really your stake out time will depend on your travel dates. During the holidays you have to give up a good 1 1/2 - 2hrs to get front row for the Holiday parade during the week of Christmas. In the summer we can get good spots about an hour before.
WHATEVER you do, don't all of you leave at the same time. In fact I'd take the kids to the restroom one at a time if its a busy season, otherwise your seats may get squeezed out while your gone. Snacks, ice cream or popcorn and soda is great to keep the kids happy while they wait.
ALSO space yourselves out well in advance because by about 10minutes prior to parade time there will be all sorts of people who will want to squeeze a family of four in that little 3 inch curb space between you and your children...I kid you not! And if you don't allow for that last minute crush you'll literally be sitting on top of each other by the time the parade actually gets to you.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
According to your signature it appears that you are going to Disney on March 31st right? I went this time last year and it was PACKED because it was spring break for every school imaginable. I don't think that week will be that bad this year because Easter isnt until April 16th. However, if it is even remotely crowded you def. need to leave as much space as possible between you and the people around you to avoid the aformentioned 'last minute crush.' Also, if the nighttime parade is running twice one night definetly try to see the later show. It is always a lot less crowded for the second show. You'll be glad you kept the kids up late. Finally, if sheduling allows, avoid the nighttime parades and shows on the Extra Magic Hours nights. I dont know what the parade and show schedules are going to be like while you are there but these are always some of the rules I try to live by when in Disney. Judging by the posted operating hours for the time you are there I dont think they are anticipating the property being all that crowded the week you are there however. As far as locations for viewing see my above post. ^^^ :) Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

ChuckElias

Ok, I know THE best place to watch the Jungle Jammin' parade. But I don't have a good map handy, so I'll try to describe it to you. As you walk the parade route, on one side of the street, there is a stairway that leads slightly down to a small room where you can watch the fish (and, I think otters) underwater. It looks like a little cave. If you stand at the top of those stairs and look across the street, there is a low stone wall on the opposite side of the street.

Those two spots -- the top of those stairs and the stone wall -- are the best places to watch the parade. NO ONE is allowed to stand in front of you or to your immediate right (the direction that the parade comes) if you're on the stairs. And the stone wall is a great place for kids to stand to see over any adults that might stand in front of you if you're on the other side of the street.

That might not be descriptive enough. Sorry :( But if you can find what I'm talking about, they are really great spots. Good luck. (The AK parade is my favorite! :) )

Upvote 0

swimmom

Whenever possible, catch the second parade of the evening. We have found the crowds to be much lighter and we haven't run into the familes trying to squeeze into the two inch space between us. We like to just sit on a curb somewhere on Main Street and get a snack to eat while we are waiting. Two years ago during the Christmas Party, my daughter was chosen along with 23 others to sing the 12 Days of Christmas in the street before the parade. It was great pre-parade entertainment!

Upvote 0

Mystic

We don't care for the Share a Dream parade at MK so we don't tend to watch it. But for SpectroMagic, if they're showing it twice we skip the first one and hit the second one. We managed to snag prime Main Street curb seats outside the Emporium about 30 minutes in advance when we were there in Nov 2004. It was really quite crowded that year cause the weather was spectacular and it was the week of American Thanksgiving (We're Canadian). We also watched it from the bridge leading into Liberty Square, near the Christmas shop, across from the place that sells the funnel cakes. This was a pretty good spot to watch it from.

As for the Jammin Jungle Parade, we usually try to snag a piece of wall just down from Pizzafari on the way towards the pathway towards the gates. It's next to where they do the hair braiding/banding. We're not that far from the tip board. This spot is great cause no one can sit/stand in front of you and you can see the floats coming around the corner. It also makes for a quicker exit from the park after the parade is over.

Upvote 0

col

my fave spot to see the parade at MK is by the bakery (im not sure what it is called something like sleepy hollow bakery?) no one sits there all i did was get a funnel cake (my second one ever!!) and sit at a table and everyone was standing -its a great spot coz when the parade comes no one stands in front of you and its really close to the parade.

AK is one of my fave parades its just so fun and lively -my fave spot to watch that is the walk way from asia to africa all along it or from the harambre market stall outside the safaris from there you have a good view but with little kids i would pick a spot between asia and africa. most people wait in africa for it and thats where it gets crowded but along the walk way people who have little kids get a great view coz no on eis infront of you or bumps you and the characters come over to you and shake your hand and all that.
it was my first time seeing the AK parade and now its my fave with the way the animal are moved i thought it was amazing -its so good definetly worth seeing.:wave:

Upvote 0

ChuckElias

Mystic said:
As for the Jammin Jungle Parade, we usually try to snag a piece of wall just down from Pizzafari on the way towards the pathway towards the gates.
That's probably the stone wall that I was talking about. So look near Pizzafari. Thanks, Mystic! :wave:

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

anyone have a good spot to see the stars and motor cars parade? we want to see it when we are there in april, but we have a ps at 50's prime time at 6 and the parade is scheduled for 5 that day. any suggestions on where to stand?

thanks,

tracy & alex

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
tracyandalex said:
anyone have a good spot to see the stars and motor cars parade? we want to see it when we are there in april, but we have a ps at 50's prime time at 6 and the parade is scheduled for 5 that day. any suggestions on where to stand?

thanks,

tracy & alex

avoid the main drag and the circle like the plauge. they are the most crowded area ever. There are fences around trees near the exit to Sounds Dangerous...kind of across from the trees hiding the side of the Indiana Jones set. If you stake out some groundage here you should be in pretty good shape. Also, if im not mistaken i think this parade starts in the back of the park and works its way down to the front so the parade will end for you first and then you can take some back roads over to 50's. Btw, theyre also pretty easy about you being 5 or so minutes late for priority seating so dont kill yourselves getting over there. It will be tight but you should make it. Have a great time at 50's and just remember that the soap is PINK.

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the great suggestions everyone!:wave:

I know the exact wall by Pizzafari you are talking about.....great idea so we can be closer to the exit to head over to AKL for our 7 pm ressie for Boma :slurp:

Sorry it took me so long to post back.....my computer has decided to crash it's hard drive right before my trip! Thank you DH for letting me use your work laptop! :kiss:

PS We went this time last year as well and it really didn't seem too crowded to us.....heard the weeks before were much worse. I am hoping most of the crowds will be there the week after us........

Upvote 0

tracyandalex

thanks tiggerific, i think i know where you are talking about. i had forgotten that the parade started in the back of the park :hammer: , good call.

thanks again,

tracy

Upvote 0

Mystic

ChuckElias said:
That's probably the stone wall that I was talking about. So look near Pizzafari. Thanks, Mystic! :wave:

You're welcome. It is a stone wall that we sit on. It's where we always sit when we watch the AK parade.:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom