Pandora: The World of Avatar opening date contest

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm guessing a soft opening NYE 2017, Actual 'show ready opening' sometime in July 2018 It needs to 'open' in 2017 to make Wall St happy, But with Disney's dismal record STATESIDE on completion of projects an extra 6-7 months seems prudent
It's nice to see you think WDW will still be around and open at 12/31/17. You must be softening up;)

You still think Star Wars Land isn't happening at WDW?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's nice to see you think WDW will still be around and open at 12/31/17. You must be softening up;)

You still think Star Wars Land isn't happening at WDW?

Allow me to clarify, I don't think TWDC is long for this world, Most of the Disney assets will continue whether there is a 'Disney' company or not. WDW will continue and will probably be better off if it's run by a company who wants to be in the themed entertainment business instead of using it as an ATM (OLC or Hershchend would be ideal owners). If a outfit like Blackstone or Bain Capital gets ahold of it well it's gonna be worse than it is today.

Star Wars at WDW is vulnerable to the NEXT economic downturn because there is nothing going vertical unlike at DL, So it's a easy project for management to cut because they will already have a 'Star Wars Land' in DL.

twebber55

Allow me to clarify, I don't think TWDC is long for this world, Most of the Disney assets will continue whether there is a 'Disney' company or not. WDW will continue and will probably be better off if it's run by a company who wants to be in the themed entertainment business instead of using it as an ATM (OLC or Hershchend would be ideal owners). If a outfit like Blackstone or Bain Capital gets ahold of it well it's gonna be worse than it is today.

Star Wars at WDW is vulnerable to the NEXT economic downturn because there is nothing going vertical unlike at DL, So it's a easy project for management to cut because they will already have a 'Star Wars Land' in DL.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwioiKTGrtbOAhXC7SYKHa85Cg0Q3ywIHDAA&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTr-Nui1tDg&usg=AFQjCNEWrmyxEO9BnG8HTl-mrYdnFUwTKw&bvm=bv.129759880,d.eWE

great thread derailed

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster

There's the doom and gloom I have come to expect:grumpy:o_O:rolleyes:. I'm OK with the thread tangent since I did ask the question.

I don't think TWDC is all that bad off, but if for some reason they decided to sell WDW or all of P&R it will be to Blackstone or some private equity shop. No private company/individual exists that would have both the desire to own the assets and also could afford to buy Disney parks without borrowing a crap load of money and the heavy leverage would leave even less excess cash to fund future investments. Cost cutting would be deeper across the board. In other words things would likely get a whole lot worse, not better. I know from experience that dealing with public bond holders can in a lot of ways be just as bad or worse than dealing with public shareholders.

Star Wars at WDW is a done deal. It's green lit and funded at this point. It's in TWDC capital budget. I can't really see any way they would not go forward. If they didn't cancel DCA 2.0 during the biggest economic downturn since the Great Depression I can't see them getting cold feet with Star Wars now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I want to go with 5/1/2017 but it's already taken. Can I still do that?
1 person per date. Not sure why since there's no actual prize;). I can give you 4/30 or 5/2 or you can challenge @twebber55 for his date. We could do some sort of Disney trivia contest and If you win you get 5/1 as your date but if you lose you have to wear a Harry Potter sorting hat to the grand opening of Avatar Land while continuously asking CMs and fellow guests how to get to platform 9 3/4. Before you decide consider this: if Pandora opens in the summer it's gonna be hot wearing this thing all day.
image.jpeg

Also, I'm pretty much flat broke right now so you are on your own buying the park tickets and the sorting hat;)

Nemo14

1 person per date. Not sure why since there's no actual prize;). I can give you 4/30 or 5/2 or you can challenge @twebber55 for his date. We could do some sort of Disney trivia contest and If you win you get 5/1 as your date but if you lose you have to wear a Harry Potter sorting hat to the grand opening of Avatar Land while continuously asking CMs and fellow guests how to get to platform 9 3/4. Before you decide consider this: if Pandora opens in the summer it's gonna be hot wearing this thing all day.
View attachment 157039

Also, I'm pretty much flat broke right now so you are on your own buying the park tickets and the sorting hat;)
Hmmmm - I'll have to ponder this one. I chose that date because it's my birthday, but I guess I could always change that (the opening date, not the birthday) to 5/2. The hat is quite tempting though....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
July 2nd, 2017.

I am assuming this is for full opening? Or are people stipulating park opening but without boat ride, and/or FoP, etc.?
Official grand opening. I personally am not expecting soft openings. I think they will open the land all at once and use the first couple of weeks as "soft openings" similar to Frozen recently. It kinda sucks if the ride goes down a lot in the beginning especially with the big crowds it will draw, but I don't think the way the land is laid out that it would be easy to do soft opening for just the rides.

Mike S

Official grand opening. I personally am not expecting soft openings. I think they will open the land all at once and use the first couple of weeks as "soft openings" similar to Frozen recently. It kinda sucks if the ride goes down a lot in the beginning especially with the big crowds it will draw, but I don't think the way the land is laid out that it would be easy to do soft opening for just the rides.
All of Diagon Alley was in soft opening at one point even if Gringotts wasn't open so it shouldn't be a problem for Avatar.

Princess Leia

8/21/2017

That's roughly around when school starts, and looking at how Frozen went (with the long lines, and the ride breaking), I think Disney might want to open it in a slightly slower time to get the kinks out before the rush of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Also, I'm planning a trip in September 2017, and would really like Pandora to be open by then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom