Pandora, more or less of a success than you predicted?

Pandora, better or worse than you expected

• Total voters

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I feel similarly. Give me the American Adventure, SSE, LwtL, GMR, ToT, BTM, HM, and PotC all day long. I haven't seen Soarin' at Epcot since the new film debuted, but after seeing it at DCA last year... I much prefer the original film. Everest is almost a must-do for me, but I'm not let down if I don't get to it. The queue at Everest, though... it is so well done, you have to question whether or not it's all real! For my money, it's the one of the best queues in WDW, but every queue is a distant second to ToT. :D

What, not a fan of the Eiffel C? :joyfull:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What, not a fan of the Eiffel C? :joyfull:

ROFLMAO, nope! :hilarious: I don't know if they could get more generic and bland than the current Soarin' film. You're here. Bam! Now you're here. Bam! Now you're here. Bam! Now you're here... No cohesion, just a bunch of [edited]... err... darts thrown at a world map and this is what we got. Also not a fan of all the CGI. :arghh:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
ROFLMAO, nope! :hilarious: I don't know if they could get more generic and bland than the current Soarin' film. You're here. Bam! Now you're here. Bam! Now you're here. Bam! Now you're here... No cohesion, just a bunch of [edited]... err... darts thrown at a world map and this is what we got. Also not a fan of all the CGI. :arghh:

Whoever signed off on the show to go live should be cut loose.

Kman101

I can understand the attraction debate, but I think AK by far is the most cohesive and best THEMED park WDW.

World Showcase remains fantastic and I like some Future World rides but the ugly paint colors and tombstones and tarps make it hard for me to rank Epcot above Animal Kingdom in terms of pure beauty. It's too bad some dismiss the animal trails as they're very well done. I know my local zoo doesn't offer the same theming. I can't go on a safari at my local zoo, sure I can see some of the same animals in small areas dedicated to them. But to each their own, I see everyone's points and we all have our likes and dislikes.

I think a couple of dark rides and Dinorama carnival area getting a re-do would put AK higher on everyone's lists. It's a shame some base their like or dislike on the park because of the ride count (and not saying anyone is wrong to think that way) but I look at the entire picture of the park. AK's theming is just on another level.

BrianLo

No problem.

DAK... has a few great attractions. We don't want to spend vacation time looking at animals. We can do that at home. Kilimanjaro is a must (day and now night), as is Dinosaur. We'll probably do FotLK once a trip. I dare say we'll spend some time in Avland this year. And that's about it. But like I said each to their own.

I'm almost a little disappointed and hope your next trip brings you around a bit.

I think your opinion is stuck in the early 2000's, if that makes sense? AK has supplanted being my third favourite park in the world and Epcot has slipped out of the top five.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm almost a little disappointed and hope your next trip brings you around a bit.

I think your opinion is stuck in the early 2000's, if that makes sense? AK has supplanted being my third favourite park in the world and Epcot has slipped out of the top five.
When they add three or four more (proper) E tickets and a handful of C and Ds then maybe.

The Empress Lilly

No question it has a better lineup than Epcot and DHS.
Really? Me, I appreciate the animal watching in DAK - although it feels a bit limited beyond the treks nowadays. But DAK's ride line-up remains the weakest of the lot.

ToT, GMR, ST, TSMM, RnRC >>> Safari, Kali, E:E, Dinosaur.

As for EPCOT, UoE beats all of Dinoland, despite everything. And as long as LwtL and SSE still run, no vibrating dragon sci-fi sex machine will trump EPCOT's line-up.

twebber55

Really? Me, I appreciate the animal watching in DAK - although it feels a bit limited beyond the treks nowadays. But DAK's ride line-up remains the weakest of the lot.

ToT, GMR, ST, TSMM, RnRC >>> Safari, Kali, E:E, Dinosaur.

As for EPCOT, UoE beats all of Dinoland, despite everything. And as long as LwtL and SSE still run, no vibrating dragon sci-fi sex machine will trump EPCOT's line-up.
wouldnt you add FOP as well

Jones14

AK is easily my favorite park. As far as rides go in the swamps, you can't beat the triple punch of Everest, Safari, and Flight of Passage, and the sheer level of detail throughout the park blows the other three away by a mile.

Even if you don't look at a single animal, there's STILL more to do than in DHS, and the overall quality and upkeep of attractions there is a couple of steps above Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

I always put it like this: if someone wants to "Do Disney" for the sake of doing Disney, they should go to MK. If someone wants to understand why Disney is considered to be the best in the business, they should go to AK.

Kman101

wouldnt you add FOP as well

Some people seem to be dismissive of Pandora. I also don't understand why AK doesn't register to some still as a great park. It has far better entertainment and well themed areas to explore. Doesn't always need to be about ride count. The overall experience of the park is top notch.

Mike C

After about a month of operation, it did boost DAK quite a bit, however the nighttime draw has been *WAY* short of expectations. I suspect after summer hours to drop, it'll be back up for Christmas, but I doubt next summer it'll be open as late.

The response to Flight of Passage likely has opened the door to a few new attractions. Disney will likely be too simulator heavy the next decade.

twebber55

After about a month of operation, it did boost DAK quite a bit, however the nighttime draw has been *WAY* short of expectations. I suspect after summer hours to drop, it'll be back up for Christmas, but I doubt next summer it'll be open as late.

The response to Flight of Passage likely has opened the door to a few new attractions. Disney will likely be too simulator heavy the next decade.
how do you know this

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Understood but theming and a mostly cohesive park doesn't rank it a bit higher in your eyes?
Yes, I've said it before that DAK has wonderful theming, immersion and design. But where you have great style you expect great substance. See NFL. In essence, in a nutshell, and I don't intend to be cruel, it's an unbelievably themed zoo. Not an unbelievably themed theme park. I love animals. I enjoy it for being the former. But on vacation I come for the latter.

Kman101

Yes, I've said it before that DAK has wonderful theming, immersion and design. But where you have great style you expect great substance. See NFL. In essence, in a nutshell, and I don't intend to be cruel, it's an unbelievably themed zoo. Not an unbelievably themed theme park. I love animals. I enjoy it for being the former. But on vacation I come for the latter.

OK. I happen to view it as a theme park with animals, but I understand your perspective. Thanks for explaining :)

Kman101

I also can see it from the once a year visitor perspective. Sometimes the park is hot and humid, more so than the other parks (Epcot could really use more shade but that's for another day), so some don't care for it simply because of that. And I can also understand coming once a year and wanting more variety in rides. Believe me, the park absolutely needs another couple of e-tickets and a couple of high capacity dark rides, no arguments from me there. But I guess as a semi-local who can go when I want, I can simply spend tons of time walking around, seeing Festival of the Lion King, riding nothing, and having a great time enjoying the lushly themed park and entertainment. So I can see it from both sides.

flyerjab

I have never had issues with @marni1971's opinion with DAK after I appreciated his situation. He is coming from England, so to come all this way on holiday for 2 to 3 weeks, my impression is that ride count is important - he wants the most that he can handle in that time. Oh, and not just rides -exceptional rides that you can't find anywhere else. MK and Epcot were perfect destinations for him. MK has a wonderfully diverse aesthetic but the ride count is very high in that park. Epcot was something else entirely - a park that had huge E-Ticket rides in every pavilion that aspired to be something more than just a heavily themed park. And DAK simply does not offer much in terms of plentiful C, D and E-Ticket rides.

Again, in the end it is all up to pure opinion. No one can tell me factually why I am wrong to like DAK more than any of the other parks. And sorry, but a future-themed park with slow-moving omnimover rides that pass by slow-moving AAs would not be at the top of my list for most enjoyable park. Others like that and appreciate the attempt at making a park centered around concepts that Walt might have embraced to build his real community of tomorrow.

And I have seen Martin's videos of what Epcot was in its heyday, but for me, those concepts don't win out. I still appreciate style and aesthetic, and DAK has that more so than any other Orlando parks. And I also love the eclectic mix of things to experience in DAK - animals, shows (the best on property), a nice diverse lineup of E-Ticket rides. And for me, this park also aspires to be something more as it stresses and educates visitors on the natural world, and why conservation is so important. The personal interaction with the cast members, coupled with the 'field notes' along the animal trails is an unbeatable experience in Orlando at the moment from a purely educational and interactive perspective. I also have similar experiences at AKL and KD.

Unfortunately, I feel that the "zoo" aspect of this park will always keep it from having a massive ride count. I can only imagine how much it costs to maintain the over 300 different species, both onstage and backstage. The food costs alone must be crazy. But again, I don't need a huge ride count. I could spend an entire day in that park and almost ride no rides. It is like stepping into a piece of art that is alive. And Pandora has simply added to the beauty, albeit in a more ethereal and other-wordly way.

And as long as LwtL and SSE still run, no vibrating dragon sci-fi sex machine will trump EPCOT's line-up.

This has to be the quote of the weekend! Well-played - for the record I totally disagree - but well played none-the-less. This is a great line that highlights how differently people can appreciate the different experiences found in each park.

Scuttle

OK. I happen to view it as a theme park with animals, but I understand your perspective. Thanks for explaining :)

Guys it's Notazoo.

My favorite thing about Animal Kingdom is that Leisure strolling is fantastic. Nooks and Crannies everywhere you look. Grab a beer and explore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom