Pal Mickey 2.0

Pioneer Hall

Original Poster
It seems like the new Pal Mickey will be coming out in a couple of months, and I am just wondering about a couple of things.

Any word on what the new Mickey will feature that the old one didn't? Is Disney going to have some sort of trade in policy for people who currently have Pal Mickey?

CaptainMichael

This month's Annual Passholder Newsletter said that it would be available in May. I'm curious to know the difference as well. We bought the original on our trip in 2003. 2.0 is wearing a black jacket and yellow bowtie in the picture that was in the newsletter. So far, that is the only difference that I know of. I can't imagine what they've added. The old one is supposed to automatically update itself when it enters a park.

MissM

The problem is that 2.0 is going to have a much larger vocabulary and such and that's not something that 1.0 can be updated just by it's infrared sensors when entering the park. I've had my Pal Mickey since April of last year and my guess would be that at best, existing Pal Mickey owners might get a small credit towards a new one. But what if they want you to turn in 1.0 for the credit? No thanks.

I try not to think of it being a waste now that a new version is coming out because I had a great time with 1.0 and am very happy I bought him. I took him to the parks at least a dozen if not more times so I feel I got my money's worth. Though I really do want to see what the 2.0 does...
-m

ps: They are also going to be releasing clothing for 2.0. Passholders can get a free tee for their Pal Mickey when they buy him. So many people were going out to like Build-A-Bear and such buying clothes for 1.0 that Disney wanted to capitalize on the idea. Rumors include CM replica outfits among other things but...that's still the rumor. Heck, the rumor a year ago was that Pal Pooh was coming out soon since Pooh was #2 only to Mickey at the parks.

yensidtlaw1969

MissM said:
Heck, the rumor a year ago was that Pal Pooh was coming out soon since Pooh was #2 only to Mickey at the parks.
Gulp . . . Could that possibly . . . by any chance . . . mean . . .

. . . Pal STITCH. . . :lookaroun :dazzle:

tigger248

Will original Pal Mickey still work? I put off buying him for 2 trips, then last July I finally bought him. I love him! But, he's only had 2 trips. I'd hate to have to retire him so soon.

Main Street USA

tigger248 said:
Will original Pal Mickey still work? I put off buying him for 2 trips, then last July I finally bought him. I love him! But, he's only had 2 trips. I'd hate to have to retire him so soon.
Pal 1 will continue to work without a hitch, so don't worry. :)

Iakona

We were told by a CM in January that the 2.0 will have special features related to the celebration. The CM did not elaborate, but my guess is that there will be new events and other scripts Pal Mickey will talk about. As I understand the concept the spiels are within Pal Mickey and the triggers activate when certain spiels are activated. I could be wrong, but that is the way I understood how he worked.

MissM said:
The problem is that 2.0 is going to have a much larger vocabulary and such and that's not something that 1.0 can be updated just by it's infrared sensors when entering the park. I've had my Pal Mickey since April of last year and my guess would be that at best, existing Pal Mickey owners might get a small credit towards a new one. But what if they want you to turn in 1.0 for the credit? No thanks.

I try not to think of it being a waste now that a new version is coming out because I had a great time with 1.0 and am very happy I bought him. I took him to the parks at least a dozen if not more times so I feel I got my money's worth. Though I really do want to see what the 2.0 does...
-m

ps: They are also going to be releasing clothing for 2.0. Passholders can get a free tee for their Pal Mickey when they buy him. So many people were going out to like Build-A-Bear and such buying clothes for 1.0 that Disney wanted to capitalize on the idea. Rumors include CM replica outfits among other things but...that's still the rumor. Heck, the rumor a year ago was that Pal Pooh was coming out soon since Pooh was #2 only to Mickey at the parks.

DisneyJukebox

Account Suspended
Does this mean the 1.0 will become cheaper or non-existent?

What is the current price that you can buy it for in the parks?

Thanks.

Sulley

If I'm right, this new version of Pal Mickey is for the 50th Celebration. They refer to him as the "Happiest Celebration on Earth Pal Mickey". That would be why he's wearing the special apparel. I'm assuming he's pre-programmed with special info in relation to the celebrations.

-Sulley

nicholas

Is this 50th thing gonna be like Magical Gatherings where no matter where you look you see and hear the words "Magical Gathering!"

What's next? "Would you like a Happiest Celebration on Earth Churro?"

Main Street USA

To clarify how PAL 1 works:

He is NOT prprogrammed with comments about the parks. He is only preprogrammed with jokes, and games to play when not in the parks. Everything he says in the parks is updated upon entering the park EACH time you visit, therefore he may say something totally new from one day to the next. Therefore, the worries about him becoming obsolete are unfounded.

PAL 2 will have new features that PAL 1 does not, and possible some other more physical things like changes of clothing, etc.

DisneyJukebox

Account Suspended
Main Street USA said:

He is NOT prprogrammed with comments about the parks. He is only preprogrammed with jokes, and games to play when not in the parks. Everything he says in the parks is updated upon entering the park EACH time you visit, therefore he may say something totally new from one day to the next. Therefore, the worries about him becoming obsolete are unfounded.

Do you have a link to an official technology paper that says this? While it may be true, this thing would have to be a mini-computer with flash drive and everything to accomplish what you described i.e. downloading new phrases upon entering the park. It would be much easier and cheaper to have a device that plays pre-programmed phrases based on a specific signal that it detects. But I would like to read a detailed technology paper about Pal Mickey.

Iakona

Chux, thanks for the link.
Main Street USA, according to the imagineer in this article everything is pre-programmed. Below is a quote from Bruce Vaughn, vice president of research and development for Disney Imagineering:

"Also, you know, that's all pre-programmed stuff in there, and what it's waiting for is a signal from these emitters that says, "Play this joke. Play this sequence." We didn't want to have it say the same thing over and over again, so there's a small computer in there that's making decisions. You can unlock things by the more experience you do, so the more you do, the more the toy has to tell you. We're trying to make sort of a bonded friendship where there is some knowledge of a history and awareness, seeming awareness, from the character."

Main Street USA said:

PAL 2 will have new features that PAL 1 does not, and possible some other more physical things like changes of clothing, etc.

CaptainMichael

Iakona said:
Chux, thanks for the link.
Main Street USA, according to the imagineer in this article everything is pre-programmed. Below is a quote from Bruce Vaughn, vice president of research and development for Disney Imagineering:

"Also, you know, that's all pre-programmed stuff in there, and what it's waiting for is a signal from these emitters that says, "Play this joke. Play this sequence." We didn't want to have it say the same thing over and over again, so there's a small computer in there that's making decisions. You can unlock things by the more experience you do, so the more you do, the more the toy has to tell you. We're trying to make sort of a bonded friendship where there is some knowledge of a history and awareness, seeming awareness, from the character."

Well, if that is the case, we got played. We were under the impression that it would update itself upon every visit and would never be obsolete. I hope you are wrong. I guess I'll find out when I walk past Soarin' or LMA or SGE and he doesn't say anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom