Packed Lunch Ideas?

awallaceunc

Original Poster
What are some of your suggestions on lunches that can be packed to take into the park that don't have to be kept cold? I hate to not eat in the counter-service places (that's normally what I do), but I'm taking a long trip and need to cut back on $ where I can. Thanks!

-Aaron

Goofy4WDW

Cereal Bars, granola bars, chips..... or better yet pretzels, peanut butter sandwiches, bags of peanuts, cookies. If you're staying at one of the resorts, I would even take some boxed or bagged breakfast cereals with me. Most of the resorts now have small refigerators in the rooms. Keep some milk in there, and have the cereal for breakfast. It's quick and cheap.

shoppingnut

If you get some coldcuts, you could make the sandwiches without the spreads (mayo, mustard, etc.) and use the spreads that they have at the counter service restaurants, this way the sandwich doesn't get soggy.

Also, for breakfast, you could bring a bag of the non-frozen Thomas's bagels and toast them at the hotel food court and the butter and jelly are free.

Yellow Shoes

Pringles!!!

Yummy yummy yummy -- and they won't get crushed.

If you'll have a refrig, you can freeze one of those blue ice things.

I would recommend that you stash the food in a locker rather than carrying it on your back all morning. Somehow I think it would stay cooler that way.

tigsmom

Ceral bars are good for breakfast, lunch and snack. We love those peanutbutter or cheese & cracker packs.

If you are taking a sandwich into the park I suggest hard rolls or bagels as they will stand up better than bread. Peanut butter & honey is an all time favorite. Cheese spreads are also good as they do not need to be kept cold. A lot of the resorts have refrigerators now or a small cooler can be used... make the sandwiches the night before and they will be cold and stay longer.
Pretzels & trail mix are better than cookies & chips as they don't break up as easily. Juice bags can be partially frozen and kept with the sandwiches to keep then cold and you cool. have a good trip! :wave:

awallaceunc

Original Poster
Lots of good tips. Thanks everyone! Do the lockers cost money to rent? I've never gotten one before. Maybe I'll get one of those soft-sided coolers and an ice pack and keep them in the lockers. Of course that will mean back-tracking to Main Street around lunch time. Hmmm.

Peanut butter and honey? That sounds great. I love peanut butter and honey's pretty good too. I'll have to try that- thanks for the tip!

-Aaron

Yellow Shoes

There are locker rentals near the entrance of each park.

They cost approximately $5 plus a $1 or $2 key deposit. When you return the key you get that back.

If you are going to another park, show them your receipt from the earlier rental and you can get a locker and only pay the key deposit again. (which you will get back again)

We managed to get 4 heavy winter coats (it was January, and we had come from icy Kansas) for 2 adults, a 14 year old, and an 8 year old into one locker, so they are pretty good sized.

As far as backtracking goes, you could start out in Fantasyland, then Tomorrowland, then back to Main ST for your lunch, then do Adventureland and Frontierland. It shouldn't feel too much like you are "wasting time"

EpcotGrl

Luna protein bars are excellent, and they don't get too melty. Lots of flavors, lots of vitamins, etc...I always carry at least one with me, WDW or not! ;)

SewIn2Disney

Apples with peanut butter spread on it is good (They make peanut butter in a squeeze tube, makes it easy to carry)
Trail Mix (good for a snack, but not lunch)

As for drinks, any counter service resturant will give you a cup of ice water for free. We carry around Lipton Cold Brew Tea Bags and powdered drink mix and make our own drinks on the go. (For four people, that can cut nearly $15 off of every counter service meal)

tigsmom

Another thing we're planning on bringing with us are those tubes of powdered drinks that are pre measured for water bottles... something to mask the flavor when you refill the bottles in the park.

Boray

Tigsmom-you're right about those pre-measured drink mixes. They are so easy and very good. I'm finding myself drinking those all of the time - even when I'm just at home. :slurp:

When we go to the parks, I always have a stash of granola bars in my camera bag. They are great tummy fillers (especially when I'm in a long line for ToT)!!!

daveemtdave

tigsmom said:
Another thing we're planning on bringing with us are those tubes of powdered drinks that are pre measured for water bottles... something to mask the flavor when you refill the bottles in the park.

Ugh - Disney water. I just would hope it WOULD make the water taste better - has to help the smell.

Cosmo

ok..a little off -topic, but i keep reading about how people hate the water. i don't get it. it tastes fine. what's the deal? Granted, I grew up in FL (thank GOD!) but the water tastes and smells fine! My inlaws were visiting from AZ recently and didn't mention anything about it.

Must be that the water up north is rank and y'all just aren't used to good water! :lol:

MissM

Cosmo said:
ok..a little off -topic, but i keep reading about how people hate the water. i don't get it. it tastes fine. what's the deal? Granted, I grew up in FL (thank GOD!) but the water tastes and smells fine! My inlaws were visiting from AZ recently and didn't mention anything about it.

Must be that the water up north is rank and y'all just aren't used to good water! :lol:
*snorts*

The water in Florida is so bad that it actually rashes my skin and I've actually had my skin get so dry it scaled from it. That's just from showers. I'd die of thirst before I drank the stuff. They pump it full of not only chlorine, but amonia too. It's horrific and you should avoid drinking it if at all possible. FL water is reclaimed swamp water and it's horrific. Up north, there are mountains and springs and natural sources of fresh water that are a hundred times better for you.
-m (the 20 year FL resident who was born in PA)

Cosmo

don't snort at me! :lol:

while I can't speak for Tampa, i have to disagree about the reclaimed swamp water part. At least for much of north and central florida. most of the water comes up from natural springs in the ground (ever hear of zephyrhills bottled water? zephyrhills is in central florida!). Our water comes out of the aquifer and it is up to individual water districts to add chemicals (flouride, cl, ammonia!?, etc..)
Lived in florida all my life, drank tap water all my life. Never had a cavity, never had a rash. Guess its like Mexico...you just develop an immunity :lol:

p (the 32 year florida NATIVE :sohappy: )

daveemtdave

Cosmo said:
don't snort at me! :lol:

while I can't speak for Tampa, i have to disagree about the reclaimed swamp water part. At least for much of north and central florida. most of the water comes up from natural springs in the ground (ever hear of zephyrhills bottled water? zephyrhills is in central florida!). Our water comes out of the aquifer and it is up to individual water districts to add chemicals (flouride, cl, ammonia!?, etc..)
Lived in florida all my life, drank tap water all my life. Never had a cavity, never had a rash. Guess its like Mexico...you just develop an immunity :lol:

p (the 32 year florida NATIVE :sohappy: )

You hit the nail on the head - I have lived in Ohio my whole life; and I can tell the difference from one part of the state to another. I think, seriously, it is the way it is processed. I go into Cleveland and believe me, Florida's water tastes and smells great (no joke intended Lake Erie) - but I come home - not even 30 minutes away and the water has a refreshing taste. We just get plan immune or our taste buds get ruined LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom