Own Beverages at Hotel

GJM724

Original Poster
My general rule of thumb is to no do anything that would cause Disney to re-think their policy or clamp down on existing rules. It is a nice benefit that this is permitted. I would not want to be the one that ruins it for others. That is why I generally keep my outside beverages low key.

Also, I know drink prices are high, but that does not necessarily translate to lots of money for the hard-working pool staff. I try to order some food from them or a unique drink supplemented by my own food/beverages. They work pretty hard and I appreciate the service they provide.

Yeah, my plan is not to bring in a huge beer cooler and sell them to other customers. We do plan to order an appetizer by the pool and such, but are just looking for one or two drinks by the pool while we relax

Hockey89

You can bring your own bottles to the pool. My aunt and uncle bring an entire portable martini bar (with real martini glasses) to the pool every day of their trips. If you don't act like an idea when you drink, you'll be fine.
Yeah, real martini glasses sound like a great idea....

DISR

Thank you for posting the sign. The amount of misinformation and bad advice in this thread is staggering.
That looks like Coronado Springs. I haven't been to that pool, but at Stormalong Bay Disney wait staff will serve you drinks on the pool deck, they have tables out there specifically for dining, and the staff will scan you into the pool area with a drink in your hand. Is there a different definition of pool deck that I am unaware of, or a different dynamic at Coronado Springs? I know I've seen the "no drinks in or near the pool" enforced quite often at every pool I've been to.

NYwdwfan

That looks like Coronado Springs. I haven't been to that pool, but at Stormalong Bay Disney wait staff will serve you drinks on the pool deck, they have tables out there specifically for dining, and the staff will scan you into the pool area with a drink in your hand. Is there a different definition of pool deck that I am unaware of, or a different dynamic at Coronado Springs? I know I've seen the "no drinks in or near the pool" enforced quite often at every pool I've been to.
Stormalong Bay sign:

Minthorne

Just keep your drinks 4 feet away from the edge of the pool.

"Wet deck area" means the 4-foot-wide (1219 mm) unobstructed pool deck area around the outside of the pool water perimeter, curb, ladders, handrails, diving boards, diving towers, or pool slides, waterfalls, water features, starting blocks, planters, or lifeguard chairs.

http://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/commission/FBC_0609/9B-3_047swimmi_DOH_comments3staff.htm

Interestingly the 4 feet away rule is for more then just walking near folks with a stroller in Epcot. However on a positive note, if you do get within 4 feet I don't think the lifeguard will assault you.

Nottamus

As i read above...any insulated water type bottle works. We have 24 ounce Hydroflasks (2 beers in old math) that we fill in the room, take down to pool. Might make one trip to refill, but I'm not in Disney to get wasted, so that's enough for us

Also, insulated pint mugs from Hydroflask or Klean Kanteen work too. Keeps it cold in any weather...

GJM724

Original Poster
As i read above...any insulated water type bottle works. We have 24 ounce Hydroflasks (2 beers in old math) that we fill in the room, take down to pool. Might make one trip to refill, but I'm not in Disney to get wasted, so that's enough for us

Also, insulated pint mugs from Hydroflask or Klean Kanteen work too. Keeps it cold in any weather...

That is exactly what I am looking to do. 2 beers! I might by the Hydroflasks... that is a good idea.

yedliW

Drinks of any type, as well as glass, are prohibited on WDW pool decks (no knowledge how far that extends from the pool). No glass within 50 feet of unfenced pools.
Just keep your drinks 4 feet away from the edge of the pool.

Once, I was sitting on the edge of the pool with my feet in the water with a DDP refillable mug (filled with soda), and the lifeguard asked me to move away from the water. This was at the main pool at SSR.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've brought plastic water bottles into the pool area, but leave them by my chair if I'm going in the pool.

Isn't it amazing now a days that people can use the phrase,"I think" over and over again, when someone is posting the actual sign that is outside of the pool area. Both signs said, "no food or drink in pool or on pool deck". Where is the grey area?

DISR

Isn't it amazing now a days that people can use the phrase,"I think" over and over again, when someone is posting the actual sign that is outside of the pool area. Both signs said, "no food or drink in pool or on pool deck". Where is the grey area?
One sign says "pool deck" and one sign says "pool wet deck", which Minithorne ID'ed as differently defined areas according to Florida health codes. As I mentioned, I have not been to the Coronado Springs pool, but at the Poly/AKL/WL/YC/BC main pools, Disney actively sells food and drink on the pool deck. If this is the intent of the rule, Disney is one of the biggest offenders. It appears Disney is creating a somewhat confusing situation by having different rules at different pools. I would also argue that rules that are completely unenforced are no longer rules...has anyone been kicked out of a Disney pool for having food or drink on the pool deck? The no glass rule is enforced for good reason. I have also seen the no food/drink in the pool enforced at every resort pool I've been to.

People are asking reasonable questions about what they are allowed to do at Disney, and people on this thread are doing their best to help them. The worst case I've seen is a polite reminder from a staff member that you cannot have food/drink in a specific area (in every case it was in or directly adjacent to the pool). In 17 years of Disney trips, with significant time at the pool, I have never been told I could not have food or drink on the pool deck.

GJM724

Original Poster
One sign says "pool deck" and one sign says "pool wet deck", which Minithorne ID'ed as differently defined areas according to Florida health codes. As I mentioned, I have not been to the Coronado Springs pool, but at the Poly/AKL/WL/YC/BC main pools, Disney actively sells food and drink on the pool deck. If this is the intent of the rule, Disney is one of the biggest offenders. It appears Disney is creating a somewhat confusing situation by having different rules at different pools. I would also argue that rules that are completely unenforced are no longer rules...has anyone been kicked out of a Disney pool for having food or drink on the pool deck? The no glass rule is enforced for good reason. I have also seen the no food/drink in the pool enforced at every resort pool I've been to.

People are asking reasonable questions about what they are allowed to do at Disney, and people on this thread are doing their best to help them. The worst case I've seen is a polite reminder from a staff member that you cannot have food/drink in a specific area (in every case it was in or directly adjacent to the pool). In 17 years of Disney trips, with significant time at the pool, I have never been told I could not have food or drink on the pool deck.

Thank you! I wasn’t trying to start a controversy or anything like that. Just wanted to plan ahead. I was ordering from Amazon Prime now anyway so I just wanted to see if it was worth it to order a couple of beers. Disney will get my money one way or another.

Minthorne

Thank you! I wasn’t trying to start a controversy or anything like that. Just wanted to plan ahead. I was ordering from Amazon Prime now anyway so I just wanted to see if it was worth it to order a couple of beers. Disney will get my money one way or another.

When will you be at the poly? I’ll be there May 18-25. I’ll meet you at the pool for a drink 😁

I'm the type of person that doesn't take signs into my own interpretation. The sign also says,"Children under 12 must have adult supervision". If your child is 11, they probably wouldn't care, but why take the chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom