Overrated WDW Experiences

wvjules72

Original Poster
What rides, attractions, shows, restaurants, etc do you feel are overrated. Like when you go on a ride that every just loves and talks so much about, and you're like, what's the big deal it wsn't that great?

For me it was the Illuminations Cruise. The cruise was nice, our captian was a sweety, and it was relaxing, but I think we could have had a better view of the show from one of the Countries and saved a few bucks.

NowInc

I am about to get my butt kicked for this....

Carosel of progress ;)

I think my repuation with this ride has been pretty well talked about on here before, and I still think it sucks ;) (opinions are great arn't they?)

disneyquestfan

Sorry you had to learn the hard way Jules. You can't do better than right inside the WS on the section that sticks out there. You are almost too close. :D

Dumbo Deprived

I'll get my butt kicked NowInc :lol:

Fantasmic! I might watch Fantasmic at WDW again if I can walk right in and see it without waiting but otherwise no thanks. It has no charm in my opinion. I absolutely love the one at DL though. Sure it's uncomfortable as hell to wait for but the fact that it shown in a "natural" area and not an area built specifically for it and that it uses the Mark Twain and the Columbia ships makes it so much more fun and that the action takes place on Tom Sawyer Island. Wow!

Give me Fantasmic! at DL anyday and I'll just skip the one at WDW and ride RnR while everyone takes in the show. :lol: :D :lol:

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Alien Encounter.

Before we went, we were hearing from our friends how great and how scary this attraction is. Well, upon arriving at WDW, getting checked in, and getting our tickets, we headed over to Magic Kingdom and the first attraction we went to was Alien Encounter. I thought it stunk. The animatronics was lame, and it wasn't the least bit scary. If puffs of wind on your neck or being squirted with stinky water is your idea of a scary ride, I weep for you. I wasn't the least bit impressed.

Rooster

I have a young daughter who will probably love these but I can't stand all the Meet & Greet locations. Yes I know they are easily avoided but I'd rather see the old attractions they have taken the place of.:hammer:

NowInc

Originally posted by SilentRascal
Alien Encounter.

Before we went, we were hearing from our friends how great and how scary this attraction is. Well, upon arriving at WDW, getting checked in, and getting our tickets, we headed over to Magic Kingdom and the first attraction we went to was Alien Encounter. I thought it stunk. The animatronics was lame, and it wasn't the least bit scary. If puffs of wind on your neck or being squirted with stinky water is your idea of a scary ride, I weep for you. I wasn't the least bit impressed.

Try riding it with long hair sometime...you dont even feel the wind.

I must admit that UNHYPED (meaning no one telling you how it is)..the ride is actually quite amusing...but its not really worth all the praise some people give it...and just think..this is the 2nd version of it..the other one wasnt even CLOSE to this one..

wvjules72

Original Poster
I didn't care about the wait for Fantasmic. I didn't like it at the time, of course, but it was definately worth the wait. I've never seen such an incredible show.

DQ, my DD got to drive the pontoon so it wasn't a complete waste. Sad thing is, I knew where the good viewing locations were, I just chose the boat instead.

DisJosh

The original Journey Into Imagination!!! You and I and everyone on the face of the earth know that ride bites the dust!! No one started loving that ride until they put an even crappier version in! You will have people tell you now that it was a great ride but we all know its a bunch of BS. It's the "its' gone factor"...it happens with every attraction that closes down...I mean c;mon MR. Toads Wild Ride!? Who cares!! :D

NowInc

Josh...I can honestly say that i LOVED the original Journey...thus why I have tons of Figment merchandice all over my appartment.

Even before it was "gone", I thought it was amazing...I also know about 10 friends of mine who also feel the same way ;)

Dumbo Deprived

I like the new JITI better than the old one. That's how much I disliked the old one. I did like Mr. Toad's. I only wish I realized there were two sides to it (there aren't at DL). As for Alien Encounter. I first "rode" it during a soft opening. I was in a non-functioning seat while my husband was in one that worked. We didn't know what to expect. He was gasping and semi-freaking. I was wondering what was going on with him. I was not impressed.

I have done the Illuminations Cruise and we did enjoy it. There was something nice about snuggling up in a blanket with hubby and watching the fireworks. We had the prime boat location (well actually that real fancy boat for 2 had the prime location~~ we had the second best location LOL) and we shared with a large number of people so the cost wasn't too bad.

dopey

i would agree with the ones that have been named already, with the illuminations cruise being the exception (i've never been on it). i would also add "the great movie ride." it should be called "the so-so movie ride." but the worst of the bunch by far is fantasmic at wdw. long wait, little reward. i wouldn't see it again if i was the only one in the park.

let me add, before someone inevitably gets bent out of shape about this thread, that many disney attractions taken alone could be considered overrated. the key, imho, is the overall experience -- the magical atmosphere and the time spent with your family. so you hit one you don't like. so what? it probably got you talking to your spouse, kids, parents, friends or whoever about how lame it was. that, to me, is a good thing.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I also think that Fantasmic is overrated. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to go through that again. It's a nice enough show but I don't want to wait for two hours and be pushed and shoved just to see a so-so show, it needs to be fantastic.

The Mom

Premium Member
I have to agree that I was a little disappointed by Fantasmic. I probably won't bother seeing it again until it gets a major revamp.

On the other hand, the original Journey was a must see for every trip to Epcot! We also have several Figment items around the house.

Tramp

Originally posted by SilentRascal
Alien Encounter.
The animatronics was lame, and it wasn't the least bit scary. If puffs of wind on your neck or being squirted with stinky water is your idea of a scary ride, I weep for you. I wasn't the least bit impressed.

...i have to agree with the "alien encounter"......we haven't been in the ride in many years...first impression was that it was NOT worth the time...

...we might try it this year again...i can hardly remember what it's all about....

Smee

My Picks...

Ride - Kali River Rapids, way to short, very little excitement.

Food - Wolfgang Puck, gormet price/very average taste.

Show - Tarzan Rocks, it just doesn't work.

tmp

I agree with Smee. Kali River Rapids is terrible. One of the great things about Disney Attractions are that they are attraction and not rides. KRR is a quick little and is over before you know it. It is one of the few attractions where you can say that another amuesment park has done a better job with the same idea!

Carl

Remember the Magic parade.

Everyone just kept bragging about it and I wasn't even impressed the first time I saw it. And AFTER the first time, with each subsequent time I saw it, I liked it even less. The floats were becoming more and more worn. I did not enjoy all the children coming out into the parade and dancing around. But, that is probably WHY it was so popular.

Second, I think the Cinderella's Breakfast is over hyped. I have to admit that I haven't been to it, but I don't see how it could warrant all the trouble it requires to get into it.

Tramp

Re: Remember the Magic parade.

Originally posted by Carl
Everyone just kept bragging about it and I wasn't even impressed the first time I saw it. And AFTER the first time, with each subsequent time I saw it, I liked it even less. The floats were becoming more and more worn. I did not enjoy all the children coming out into the parade and dancing around. But, that is probably WHY it was so popular.

....I'm with ya 100% on this one. The parade itself was mediocre at best but that dreadful stopping to let the kids participate was irritating, especially if you're standing in 90 degree weather.

...they use to give out tickets to kids before the parade arrived and this provided some semblance of order...but recently it was a free-for-all and kids, and adults, would charge into the streets...

...the interactive intention was good but they didn't take into consideration human nature.

Daisy A

I must agree with Dopey. the atmosphere of WDW and the experiences one shares with their family is what really makes it a worthwhile destination. After all if you've done any ride enough times it will eventually seem less interesting as it once was. I must admit after going to WDW for several family trips, that we hardly do anything but walk around, eat in our favorite restaurants and just do the rides and shows that we really like. Having said this, of course, I'd say many attractions are hyped to be somewhat better than they are.

I do like Alien Encounter, but wouldn't call it frightening at all to me, however my niece won't go on it again. I would perhaps see it once per trip. Figment and Journey into imagination I really liked! He was so cute! I thought the new ride was awful. I've seen every parade once (except for the old Tapestry of Nations)- and thats it. For some reason I don't like my ankles being bruised by over eager parents pushing their strollers into me. At any rate just about every parade is nice once and then its nice when everyone watches th parade and the lines are short. Anyway thats my two cents....

~Daisy A

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom