Overheard outside Hogsmeade Station

Timekeeper

There were always defectors throughout the various additions to the UOR and dating back to the opening of IOA, particularly in the entertainment departments, because there were some significant monetary incentives to perform at UOR versus The World.

roodlesnouter

Ugh. Castmembers are defecting.

Guests will too, I know I have. I still go to Disney, I have AP (purchased at DVC discount of $399) and DVC, yet Uni has had more of my money and time (a lot more) in my last 5 trips. I know a lot who feel this way too, don't get me wrong I am no Disney basher, I hit up Orlando for a vacation every year and was always staunch Disney but If I want to see something new and exciting then it is Uni all the way.

I have even used my DVC just as a base and not spent a single dime on property.

I have been expecting Disney to react for 5 years now but still they stay stubborn, arrogant and a maybe a little condescending living of reputations of the past.

Surely this time they will have to pull out the Star Wars card?

katiekinzakat

Might I ask for the CM who works at both What do you like about Universal VS Disney? I am just curious is the pay better? Better management?

For me it's both. $9 an hour at Universal versus $8 an hour at Disney. I've been working for the Mouse for almost two years and the managers still don't know who I am or what attractions I work at. I go above and beyond trying to be the best CM I can be yet I am told that I got passed over for trainer for "not being a 'go-to' Cast Member" whatever that means. I'm just tired of not getting recognition for doing the exact same things that CPs get heaped with praise for doing, it's exhausting. Plus a bunch of my more competent coworkers at Disney have either transferred or left the company leaving me to work with many new people, most of which have no clue what they're doing, so much so that it physically hurts me to watch them. That's just the tip of the iceberg, I don't want to bore with all of my complaints.

Tom Morrow

They both have their pros and cons and a lot of it depends on who you ask and what their work location is/was. But currently, the general consensus seems to be that its easier to get noticed at Universal and you're on a more personal level with your leaders.

I know favoritism plays its role in every work location, but its very, very, very bad at Disney. Morale at WDW might be at an all-time low and I'd wager that favoritism is one of the reasons why - there is no incentive to do more than the minimum expected of you at Disney.

I'm sure at some point somebody will quote me and say "that's not true! I (or someone they know) worked hard and now I'm a manager, etc" but for every person that it works out well for, there's 10 more than just burn out and give up or leave because their efforts were useless.

I've known folks who were terminated from Disney, only to turn around and flourish at Universal. And no, its not because Universal has lower standards or something, its just a different work environment.

Tom Morrow

Also while on topic, I've overheard more than a few times at Universal - "this place is so much more fun than Disney!"

and not from teenagers or adults. Families with children under 10 years old.

Maybe its because on most days you can ride plenty of major rides without scheduling and jumping through hoops to do it?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
They won't be happy working at the Harry Potter sections when the crowds descend for Diagon Alley opening - It's going to be crazy!

54408252.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Also while on topic, I've overheard more than a few times at Universal - "this place is so much more fun than Disney!"

Maybe its because on most days you can ride plenty of major rides without scheduling and jumping through hoops to do it?

My first visit yo Uni was in my 20s after a lifetime of Disney only I was shocked by Universal. We had no problems with the rides/staff/food etc but it felt weird to me. Hearing Nirvana, U2, AC/DC etc was jarring. However once I got used to the different vibe. I loved it! Now I love the excitement of the seemingly never ending parade of new attractions. Next trip we will be taking our two young kids to Uni/IOA. there are quite a few things they can do at 40 inches just waiting for my 3 yo to get there. The Harry Potter and Simpson's sections are cool - I've shown my 5 yo videos and pictures and she wants to go even though she has no clue who the Simpsons or Harry Potter are. She really wants a wand so she can do magic.

BoarderPhreak

Definitely a different vibe. But as far as jumping through hoops... OMG! The dining reservations, Fastpass setup, etc. are all just making Disney way too complicated. You have to plan your trip, ideally, 180 days in advance. That's not a vacation! I want to roll into town and start having fun without thinking about everything (and how I've always done WDW).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom