Outside the parks/first time visitor advice

princessmelissa

Hi everyone! I'm planning a end of May trip for my boyfriend and I's college graduation (5/19-5/24) at the Pop Century. I was originally going to book for 5 days but it was cheaper flight wise to stay 6 days but I don't want to pay for an extra day in the parks so I was thinking we can explore Disney outside of the parks as I have never done this. It is going to be my boyfriends first ever trip to Disney (yay!) and it would mean the world to me if he fell in love with it like I have. I want to show him Disney outside of the parks so he really gets the full experience, I was already thinking downtown disney at night and maybe a drink by the pool. If anyone else has any suggestions of things for us to do besides the park or anything at all to make this trip extra magical for him I would really appreciate it :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just a few quick ideas, and I'm sure others will have more. Cirque du Soleil, rent a boat, mini-golf, tour some of the resorts, Boardwalk, water parks.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I would suggest you invest the sheckles for a copy of the most recent "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" which will tell you everything you need to know, and more....

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
You can take one of the carriage rides at either fort wilderness or port Orleans riverside or take in a dinner show at either the hoop de doo at fort wilderness or the luau at the Polynesian.

Pam

Upvote 0

BUZZCRUSH

My husband and I did a "resort" crawl one year. We used the transportation system and ventured from one resort to another and had one drink a the resort bar or ate breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. Obviously this was a whole day thing and every drink was not alcoholic :) we wanted to see what the other resorts looked like plus we wanted to ride on the boats. It was a lot of fun and a very relaxing day. :)

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

The difference between a 5 and 6 day ticket is $8...

Just the point I was about to make. While there are plenty of things to see and do around the resort outside of the parks, many of them do cost money. Like renting a watercraft to boat around the Lagoon, or surrey bikes or horse drawn carriage rides or Segway tours, etc. And adding one extra day to your parks ticket will be significantly cheaper than ANY of those things.

Granted, there are plenty of "free" things to do as well, not least of which is to just lay around poolside and rest up (a day of leisure in the middle of your trip might help you restore your batteries for the rest of your time in the parks. And I loves me some resort hopping time; since you're staying at the Pop Century, you can take a bus to the MK, then boat or monorail to one of the area resorts, or take a bus to the Studios then walk or boat to the Epcot resorts area. OR just hop on a bus to DTD, and jump on the first bus going to a resort from there, and see what you can see. You can also just go to DtD to look around, no one says you have to spend money shopping. But if you're looking at something to do to save money, it won't hardly cost you anything to add an extra day in the parks to your ticket.

Either way, it's not necessarily a choice you have to make right now. As long as you have at least one day of a park admission remaining on your ticket, you can upgrade if you decide to do so. But adding a day to both tickets will be less than $20. I think an hour of watercraft rental is more than that nowadays.

Upvote 0

princessmelissa

Original Poster
Thanks for all your advice everyone! The reason why I chose the 5 day hopper as opposed to the six day which I know really is not that much money as has been pointed out is we purchased our park hopper tickets from an outside authorized seller it was not really that much discounted, maybe 20 or 30 dollars cheaper then buying right from Disney, but being college students we need all the discounts we can get. I know I can apply outside bought tickets to our card once we arrive but does anyone know if we would be able to add an extra day while we're there for the less the 20 dollar price and still apply it to the card like we would if we would've bought the 5 days right from Disney? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question this is my first trip planning by myself and its alot to consider since I really want my boyfriend to love Disney like I do and we've been saving up spare money for two years to spend on this graduation trip :)

Upvote 0

Minnie1976

Of course this is in Epcot and World Showcase, but I just did the Segway tour. It was a great experience getting to learn to ride the segway. The Boardwalk is nice and there is ESPN if you are sports fans. I think you can take a boat ride to Downtown Disney, but I'm not sure where you catch that boat. The Earl of Sandwich was a great place for a quick service meal. Lots of other places to eat and have a drink. Just a few suggestions.

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

If you decide not to extend your Disney ticket, there are plenty of ways to spend your day. All the resorts are quite different, we enjoy spending some time at Animal Kingdom Lodge, it has a lovely atmosphere and you can watch the animals on the savannah, also a good gift shop. There's mini golf at the Boardwalk, although I'm nbot sure how much it costs, or you could walk from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness and get a boat back. There's lots to look around at Downtown Disney, and relaxing by the pool at your resort is a welcome rest.

Have a great holiday.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom