Our First Ever Christmas Trip

wendysue

We just got back a couple weeks ago, and I must say that the Christmas season is now my new favorite time to go! It was not that busy, yet the decorations were up and we took advantage of the first MVMCP and it was GREAT. I would do November again anytime. Not sure that I would go in December, as I think it's twice as crowded, but I hear there would be a few more decorations in the resorts and such. Enjoy!:xmas:

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

I don't know what your budget is like but MVMCP is a lot of fun as is the Choir thing at Epcot sorry having senior momment I can't remember what it's called but there is a dinner, chior and narrator event, I'm sure someone can help me out here.

"Free Stuff" includes Osborne family lights at DHS and Christmas around the world at the work showcase, the elf in Norway is our favorite. Also tour the resorts and see the decorations and Gingerbead creations. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

dad of three

1: mvmcp
2: candlelight pro. epcot
3: osbrone lights
4: visit some resorts for decor (if you have time)
5: one of my favorite is the ladies signing in the american pavilon

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

Christmas and Disney don't mix for me, in fact... I need snow and cold weather. Being from New England I am clearly biased. I can't see myself looking at a Christmas tree while wearing shorts, its strange.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

Watch the weather forecast carefully in order to take the proper clothing. Winter weather in Florida can fluctuate between hot and cold, particularly at night. I hate buying Walmart quality jackets at Disney prices because of poor planning.

Don't miss
the Osbourne Lights at DHS, the snow on Main Street, the Voices of Liberty Singers at the EPCOT American Pavilion (they sing Christmas songs), or The Candlelight Processional at EPCOT.

Be sure to look for all of the details that Disney puts into decorating simple things. The Parks are beautiful at Christmas time.

Take along a few holiday decorations for your hotel room. It will make things seem more festive when returning from a day at a theme park.

Arrange your schedule for a daytime parade on Main Street. It will be holiday themed, and I'm sure that your family will enjoy it.

Take things slowly and remember why it's Christmas, and why you're at WDW. :xmas:

Upvote 0

4everDory

If you're going Christmas week, don't plan on being able to experience every attraction...you'll probably need to pick and choose. Pictures I've seen of Christmas day/week are CRAZY BUSY! If you're just going for the environment and mood of Disney for Christmas, enjoy, but be creative...visit resorts to see Christmas decorations, get to the parks super early, and be ready to deal with crowds. Just know it's going to be crazy, with crowd levels of 10+ Hope you have fun, though! I would LOVE to see Disney decorated for Christmas!

Upvote 0

NedFlanders

Although we heard lots of horror stories on the crowds, we didn't feel it was that bad the last time we were there at Christmas time... For that trip we were there from the 17th thru the 25th... I did note that as we got closer to the 25th you did start to notice the crowds starting to grow... I have no idea what the crowds are like the days between 25 and new years day, but prior to that the crowds weren't any worse than a moderate summer day...

If you do have to pick and choose and know you wont do it all I would put the lights at DHS at the bottom of the list... to me they were beyond overkill, it reminded me of one of those Christmas movies where the neighbor goes nut on the lights... might be interesting to see, but not that pretty... very much an over the top kind of thing, and for me the magic of Christmas lights is seeing them from a distance where you don't see the electric cords... you see the warts and all at DHS.

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

If you do have to pick and choose and know you wont do it all I would put the lights at DHS at the bottom of the list... to me they were beyond overkill, it reminded me of one of those Christmas movies where the neighbor goes nut on the lights... might be interesting to see, but not that pretty... very much an over the top kind of thing, and for me the magic of Christmas lights is seeing them from a distance where you don't see the electric cords... you see the warts and all at DHS.

Yeah, the quantity of lights is somewhat reminiscent of N'tl Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

...which is AWESOME!!!! I can't believe anyone would not like that number of lights! I put Osborne Lights at the very top of the list. I don't recall noticing the cords, etc.; I'm sure they're there if you're looking for them, but I was in such a state of bliss that I didn't see any of the imperfections. Awesome, awesome display.

Upvote 0

tink65

We took our first Disney Christmas trip in Dec 2009 and loved every minute of it! We were there Dec 12 through 18th which was a value season time so it wasn't crowded at all. Be sure and see the Osborne Family lights at Hollywood Studios! Also, take time to visit some of the resorts to look at their decorations. We particularly enjoyed the Grand Floridian and the Boardwalk Resorts decorations! Also, you have to see the castle icicle lights and if at all possible attend the MVMCP! We played around with the idea of squeezing a trip in this year but just wasn't in the cards. DDs school break would not allow for a value season visit and I worry that the closer it gets to Christmas the more crowded it will become. Oh well..........there's always next year! I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation!:xmas:

Upvote 0

DecWDW

Christmas and Disney don't mix for me, in fact... I need snow and cold weather. Being from New England I am clearly biased. I can't see myself looking at a Christmas tree while wearing shorts, its strange.

Out here in California, it's normal! :ROFLOL:

We go to WDW every December and wouldn't recognize the place without all the decorations!

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
You are so lucky, its a HUGE goal of mine to someday spend some time at wdw during the holiday season!! Enjoy ur time, take it easy and dont let the crowds ruin what will surely be an unforgettable time :wave:

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

WDW at Christmas time is quite amazing. As you can tell it is really crowded, but if you go in with the attitude that you know it will be very crowded you will be ahead of game. Osborne lights are probably the best thing to see and experience. Going to visit with the various "Santas" at Epcot is another fun thing to do. Just enjoy the atmoshphere of being there during this season and it is unforgetable. So much so we keep going back!!!!:xmas:
Have fun and don't forget the resorts and what you can see there as well.

Upvote 0

mycatspot

We are Florida residents and are going to be there the week of Christmas, too. My one piece of advice is to make your ADRs NOW! Restaurants are filling up fast! Have a great time!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We are going in a couple of weeks. The one thing you might want to reconsider if you have young children is Candlelight Processional. We have certain members of our group who plan on at least trying to get in, but our kiddos are really too young to sit through it, so at least one of the adults in our group will be skipping it.

Beyond that, we'll be doing MVMCP, all of the Christmas festivities in the World Showcase, Osbourne Lights (I know it's not for everyone, but in my eyes- there is no such thing as holiday light overkill...yes, I'd like my yard to be seen from space :lol: I'm serious :lookaroun), and in addition to our hotel, we'll be visiting another 4 Deluxe resorts to check out the decorations/gingerbread. I've also seen a few people say that each resort has a schedule of holiday activities that you'll find out about at check in- that is, if anything is going on during your trip.

The crowds are going to vary based on when you go...i.e. the closer to Christmas, the more packed it's going to be.

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

pacochran

We've gone several times at this time of year and will be there again in 10 days December 3rd.:sohappy:.

The first year that we went at this time of year we took a day and did a tour of the resorts to see their displays. We went to the Grand Floridian for the Gingerbread house, at Beach Club Villas for the Gingerbread Carousel, the Polynisian for their set up. We ended up at Wilderness Lodge to see their lobby decorated and having dinner at Whispering Canyons.

There is so much to do and see with the decorations, have a good time.

Upvote 0

worldfanatic

I can't see myself looking at a Christmas tree while wearing shorts, its strange.

It's all on where you're from.
I could count on one hand the days in a year I'm not wearing shorts.
When I find myself in pants or jeans, I usually ask myself "What the hell am I doing in a place where I need these?":lol:

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
You are so lucky, its a HUGE goal of mine to someday spend some time at wdw during the holiday season!! Enjoy ur time, take it easy and dont let the crowds ruin what will surely be an unforgettable time :wave:

Thanks! It's been a dream of ours for a long time. We thought it would be a few years later when our son was older, but life said we needed to go this year. I'm going with the mindset of experiecing the environment. My ride expectations are not high.

We are going in a couple of weeks. The one thing you might want to reconsider if you have young children is Candlelight Processional. We have certain members of our group who plan on at least trying to get in, but our kiddos are really too young to sit through it, so at least one of the adults in our group will be skipping it.

Beyond that, we'll be doing MVMCP, all of the Christmas festivities in the World Showcase, Osbourne Lights (I know it's not for everyone, but in my eyes- there is no such thing as holiday light overkill...yes, I'd like my yard to be seen from space :lol: I'm serious :lookaroun), and in addition to our hotel, we'll be visiting another 4 Deluxe resorts to check out the decorations/gingerbread. I've also seen a few people say that each resort has a schedule of holiday activities that you'll find out about at check in- that is, if anything is going on during your trip.

The crowds are going to vary based on when you go...i.e. the closer to Christmas, the more packed it's going to be.

Have a great trip! :wave:

Thanks! I'm glad you said that about the CP. My son will be 15 months. He's probably too young. I had considered booking it, but I most likely will not.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom