Our complaints about Epcot between the 2000’s and now, are we living in our worse WDW nightmare?

Virtual Toad

Perspective from someone who's made more than 100 visits to Epcot from 1988 to a couple of weeks ago, and apologies but I will try to keep it short:

Our trip a couple of weeks ago was our family's first to Epcot in five years, thanks to comp tickets my son earned from participating in Candlelight last winter.

It's important to note that Epcot was our "go-to" park as a family for years. Our kids were basically raised there.

Aware of the changes and construction, we hit the park Sunday morning. Ironically, the construction walls bothered us the least.

I agree the Land is still the best pavilion in the park. Figment was an embarrassment-- dying Animatronics on a stick and the vibe of a dead shopping mall. The Three Caballeros finale had audio of one of the animatronics so loud the entire thing sounded off key. Does no one care or even check to see if rides are up to show standards?

But the two biggest things that hit us were the lack of cultural representatives in WS and the outright embarrassing and unacceptable ride reliability.

Concerning the lack of cultural reps, it was strange and jarring to see some guy from Lecanto in a green Six Flags attraction "uniform" and southern accent introduce us to the Wonders of China. Upon exiting the film, we saw several (third party?!) workers in black T-shirts and no name tags working the gift shop and quick serve. Were these even CMs? What the??

We realize and understand Covid threw a giant wrench into everything but seeing it this way after 5 years away was truly a shock. The cultural reps were the cornerstone of the World Showcase experience-- and the whole thing just fell flat without them. As we finished our tour we felt as if we were experiencing Biff's Epcot in some sort of bizzaro alternate timeline.

Which brings us to the ride reliability issue. Over more than 30 years and more than 100 visits, we've never experienced anything remotely this bad:

Guardians. 45 minute breakdown early afternoon. Stuck in the queue. Ok, new ride, tons of guests. Things happen.

Mission Space. Stuck in preshow room for 20 minutes only to be told our group of vehicles had "malfunctioned." Re-routed to another preshow room to watch the pre-show all over again before finally boarding the ride. Okay....

Next ride: Spaceship Earth. Ride breaks down a third of the way through. Several attempted re-starts in which the vehicles lurch forward for a few feet and then grind to a halt. Another 20 minutes of delay before the ride crawls and limps along to the end. That's three-- and at this point we can't help but start counting.

At 8pm we queue up for Rat, waiting about 25 minutes in the queue and making it right up to the vehicles in the boarding platform before... the ride breaks down. We're then told-- at 8:25pm-- that they won't be able to restart before
closing-- and that "if we evacuate" we'll get a free next-day LL which of course is totally useless for those of us making a one day visit. Giving up at 8:25?A free LL "if" we evacuate? Strange. Saving on labor costs?Ok, that's four.

Now it's 8:30 and we're still optimistic as we head to Test Track. Which of course breaks down in the middle of the ride. 25 minutes of lurching re-start attempts eerily similar to what we experienced at Spaceship Earth. We hear the fireworks going off outside (and disappointed groans from other trapped guests who had planned to see them) before finally being evacuated and frankly barked at by rude CMs as we make our way out of the ride.

It's now after 9 and our day at Epcot is done. We all put on a brave face for each others' sake, but on this day, the magic is gone, as is the Epcot we knew and loved. I struggle to hold
back a tear as my youngest tugs on my arm and, already knowing the answer, looks at me with sympathetic eyes and asks, "We'll come back again some day, right?"

In more than 30 years of visits and countless changes, I'd never EVER left a Disney park truly angry, disappointed or heartbroken. After a day of witnessing shockingly lower standards across the board, and with a full 20 percent of our park day squandered due to attraction breakdowns, I came to the realization I was experiencing all three at the same time.

In many ways, this visit was an audition of sorts, a chance to see if Epcot was still able to deliver, if it was still ready for prime time and worthy of our vacation dollars. We went in hoping it was. We left realizing how bad things really are.

WDW announced this week a special combo ticket for Epcot and AK. My initial thought: "You couldn't pay me to go back to Epcot."

This is coming from someone who once considered Epcot to be the most amazing place in the world. And it pains me (more than most will ever know) to say it.

But that place, that Epcot is gone. Probably forever.

As always, these are only my opinions based on first-hand observations, so if your perspective is different, that's totally okay.

Sonconato

Perspective from someone who's made more than 100 visits to Epcot from 1988 to a couple of weeks ago, and apologies but I will try to keep it short:

Our trip a couple of weeks ago was our family's first to Epcot in five years, thanks to comp tickets my son earned from participating in Candlelight last winter.

It's important to note that Epcot was our "go-to" park as a family for years. Our kids were basically raised there.

Aware of the changes and construction, we hit the park Sunday morning. Ironically, the construction walls bothered us the least.

I agree the Land is still the best pavilion in the park. Figment was an embarrassment-- dying Animatronics on a stick and the vibe of a dead shopping mall. The Three Caballeros finale had audio of one of the animatronics so loud the entire thing sounded off key. Does no one care or even check to see if rides are up to show standards?

But the two biggest things that hit us were the lack of cultural representatives in WS and the outright embarrassing and unacceptable ride reliability.

Concerning the lack of cultural reps, it was strange and jarring to see some guy from Lecanto in a green Six Flags attraction "uniform" and southern accent introduce us to the Wonders of China. Upon exiting the film, we saw several (third party?!) workers in black T-shirts and no name tags working the gift shop and quick serve. Were these even CMs? What the??

We realize and understand Covid threw a giant wrench into everything but seeing it this way after 5 years away was truly a shock. The cultural reps were the cornerstone of the World Showcase experience-- and the whole thing just fell flat without them. As we finished our tour we felt as if we were experiencing Biff's Epcot in some sort of bizzaro alternate timeline.

Which brings us to the ride reliability issue. Over more than 30 years and more than 100 visits, we've never experienced anything remotely this bad:

Guardians. 45 minute breakdown early afternoon. Stuck in the queue. Ok, new ride, tons of guests. Things happen.

Mission Space. Stuck in preshow room for 20 minutes only to be told our group of vehicles had "malfunctioned." Re-routed to another preshow room to watch the pre-show all over again before finally boarding the ride. Okay....

Next ride: Spaceship Earth. Ride breaks down a third of the way through. Several attempted re-starts in which the vehicles lurch forward for a few feet and then grind to a halt. Another 20 minutes of delay before the ride crawls and limps along to the end. That's three-- and at this point we can't help but start counting.

At 8pm we queue up for Rat, waiting about 25 minutes in the queue and making it right up to the vehicles in the boarding platform before... the ride breaks down. We're then told-- at 8:25pm-- that they won't be able to restart before
closing-- and that "if we evacuate" we'll get a free next-day LL which of course is totally useless for those of us making a one day visit. Giving up at 8:25?A free LL "if" we evacuate? Strange. Saving on labor costs?Ok, that's four.

Now it's 8:30 and we're still optimistic as we head to Test Track. Which of course breaks down in the middle of the ride. 25 minutes of lurching re-start attempts eerily similar to what we experienced at Spaceship Earth. We hear the fireworks going off outside (and disappointed groans from other trapped guests who had planned to see them) before finally being evacuated and frankly barked at by rude CMs as we make our way out of the ride.

It's now after 9 and our day at Epcot is done. We all put on a brave face for each others' sake, but on this day, the magic is gone, as is the Epcot we knew and loved. I struggle to hold
back a tear as my youngest tugs on my arm and, already knowing the answer, looks at me with sympathetic eyes and asks, "We'll come back again some day, right?"

In more than 30 years of visits and countless changes, I'd never EVER left a Disney park truly angry, disappointed or heartbroken. After a day of witnessing shockingly lower standards across the board, and with a full 20 percent of our park day squandered due to attraction breakdowns, I came to the realization I was experiencing all three at the same time.

In many ways, this visit was an audition of sorts, a chance to see if Epcot was still able to deliver, if it was still ready for prime time and worthy of our vacation dollars. We went in hoping it was. We left realizing how bad things really are.

WDW announced this week a special combo ticket for Epcot and AK. My initial thought: "You couldn't pay me to go back to Epcot."

This is coming from someone who once considered Epcot to be the most amazing place in the world. And it pains me (more than most will ever know) to say it.

As always, these are only my opinions based on first-hand observations, so if your perspective is different, that's totally okay.
Beautifully said. When I think about all the years of wonderful times that my family and I had compared to what it is now, it breaks my heart.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

tell them about it

Vegas Disney Fan

We hear the fireworks going off outside (and disappointed groans from other trapped guests who had planned to see them) before finally being evacuated and frankly barked at by rude CMs as we make our way out of the ride.

This is unfortunately a common issue now, we’ve experienced more breakdowns in the last couple years (post Covid) than in the dozen years of previous trips combined.

About 6 months ago we got stuck on DLs Space Mtn for almost 45 minutes waiting for evac and missed the fireworks, we now have a rule we won’t get on a ride with less than an hour to fireworks (or an event with a set time), there’s just too high a risk the ride will break down and we’ll miss it.

jaklgreen

This is unfortunately a common issue now, we’ve experienced more breakdowns in the last couple years (post Covid) than in the dozen years of previous trips combined.

About 6 months ago we got stuck on DLs Space Mtn for almost 45 minutes waiting for evac and missed the fireworks, we now have a rule we won’t get on a ride with less than an hour to fireworks (or an event with a set time), there’s just too high a risk the ride will break down and we’ll miss it.
It would be interesting to know how many "breakdowns" were do to maintenance issues as opposed to guest issues. My most recent experiences with breakdowns have been on people mover and PP. Both just as I was a few groups away from getting on the rides. The People mover was because a guest actually got out of the car while it was moving and so the ride had to E stop. They had to deal with the situation and boot the ride back up.
The second was Peter Pan where as a little girl, that was wearing a princess dress that was too long for her, got off of the ride, her dress got caught in the moving walkway. The dress ripped and the child was unharmed but the ride E stopped because the dress wrapped around the gears. We watched as maintenance, that arrived incredibly quickly, pulled up the panels and untangled the dress from the gears.
How many more of these types of situations happen in a day that cause the rides to go down? We all have seen how crazy people have become and how they are doing more and more stupid stuff. It can't be a coincidence that rides go down at a higher rate now that coincides with people's stupidity.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

How many more of these types of situations happen in a day that cause the rides to go down? We all have seen how crazy people have become and how they are doing more and more stupid stuff. It can't be a coincidence that rides go down at a higher rate now that coincides with people's stupidity.
Yea, we live in a new brand of stupid society for sure. But the ride shutdowns I saw on my trip were all day/rest of the day shutdowns. Usually a dumb guest will just set you back a few ride cycles. Dumb guests are a problem for sure. But I think Disney has a very big maintenance problem first and foremost.

DisneyFanatic12

Yea, we live in a new brand of stupid society for sure. But the ride shutdowns I saw on my trip were all day/rest of the day shutdowns. Usually a dumb guest will just set you back a few ride cycles. Dumb guests are a problem for sure. But I think Disney has a very big maintenance problem first and foremost.
Maintenance is certainly an issue, and I won’t deny that, but when a ride is e-stopped they oftentimes don’t like to turn back on. They can be quite difficult to get running again and usually require multiple overrides and what not (which oftentimes require an evacuation for safety).

Granted, the rides might be less “difficult” if maintained to a higher standard. Even so, even new rides are difficult and don’t like to turn on after an e-stop. The show might not be maintained to exceptional standards, but the hardware on the actual ride system is usually maintained to a decently high standard.

AdventureHasAName

This is how I felt driving out of the resort in 2013 and I haven't been back in a decade. And I'm a former (California) annual passholder and my family spent almost every summer at WDW when I was a kid.

Vegas Disney Fan

It would be interesting to know how many "breakdowns" were do to maintenance issues as opposed to guest issues. My most recent experiences with breakdowns have been on people mover and PP. Both just as I was a few groups away from getting on the rides. The People mover was because a guest actually got out of the car while it was moving and so the ride had to E stop. They had to deal with the situation and boot the ride back up.
The second was Peter Pan where as a little girl, that was wearing a princess dress that was too long for her, got off of the ride, her dress got caught in the moving walkway. The dress ripped and the child was unharmed but the ride E stopped because the dress wrapped around the gears. We watched as maintenance, that arrived incredibly quickly, pulled up the panels and untangled the dress from the gears.

I’m sure this is definitely a big factor, I once saw a kid drop his hat between ride vehicles while getting off space Mtn and rather than telling the CM he leaned over the edge to try to grab it. Thankfully a CM noticed, had they released the vehicles forward to the load station he’d have been crushed. I was waiting in line and was shocked how quickly it all happened, the CM probably had a couple seconds at most to notice and he immediately hit the e-stop so no one could dispatch the train.

We ended up standing there for at least 30 minutes while they cycled each individual train and then let all the passengers who were on the ride ride again if they wanted to. Several hundred people all lost half an hour of park time just because someone dropped a hat, could have been so much worse though.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Yes. EPCOT had moved beyond our wildest parodies of fifteen years ago.

Somewhere deep down, against the odds, I always held out some hope that the course could be corrected. That the park could be healed again. We came very close too in just the last few years.

Instead, EPCOT was declared dead. A new park emerged. It's all about Frozen and BatB and Pixar and Marvel and booze and festivals. To add weird insult to injury, the park adorns itself with all sorts of EPCOT nostalgia.

I saw EPCOT being built. This was my favourite place in the entire world before it was even open. I never expected to lose it.
just like the good old days in the Epcot threads, haven’t seen you post in a while.

The Empress Lilly

just like the good old days in the Epcot threads, haven’t seen you post in a while.
Yes, I've been pretty absent. I've finally gone off WDW. The infamous tipping point has been reached. I'll return at some point, but for the first time since my first two steps onto MS in 1979 I have no overwhelming, burning, all-consuming desire to be at WDW.

But I'll take the great FoxFurr's point of view: this may no longer be my WDW, but perhaps it is somebody else's. And I don't want to rain on their parade with disillusioned comments everywhere. I'll leave the World and this website for them to enjoy. 😀

MagicRat

Communicore, World Showcase Players, Horizons, World of Motion, the original Imagination with Dreamfinder, Quality TS food, Kitchen Kabaret, Innoventions...........

That was EPCOT.

Now we got IP Land with Drinking Teams and overpriced/undersized food offerings, tacky merchandise, and bands who perform without a single original member.
If you are going to Epcot to get your music acts, you are on your own. I still don’t understand how people die on the hill that Horozons would work today. It is not pirates or small world. It was my favorite ride as a kid but by now the figures in the show would have melted from the lights. There was also drinking 25 years ago too. You might need to clean those glasses!

MagicRat

All that’s left is a splash pad that should be in DAK as a queue to a bigger attraction, and a building to replace half a building. It’s no secret what’s coming.

And a hastily designed night show.
And what is replaced was a building that was housing Sega games in the 90’s, a building that was rotting since with meet and greets, a Starbucks and a fountain. I will try the new one!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
If you are going to Epcot to get your music acts, you are on your own. I still don’t understand how people die on the hill that Horozons would work today. It is not pirates or small world. It was my favorite ride as a kid but by now the figures in the show would have melted from the lights. There was also drinking 25 years ago too. You might need to clean those glasses!

Do you need a hug?

jaklgreen

I agree. Horizons is like Carousel of Progress. People go on it to take a break from the heat. People today don't want to be educated at theme parks, they want thrill rides. Look at how many people say that AK is a half day park. They do the rides and that is it, they have no interest in the trails and learning about animals and nature.

AdventureHasAName

I agree. Horizons is like Carousel of Progress. People go on it to take a break from the heat. People today don't want to be educated at theme parks, they want thrill rides. Look at how many people say that AK is a half day park. They do the rides and that is it, they have no interest in the trails and learning about animals and nature.
I think Horizons is one of the five best attractions Disney has ever built and I consider AK a quarter-day park. AK doesn't just need thrill rides, it needs all different kinds of rides. The #1 thing it needs is a Fantasyland-style kids land with six or seven D-ticket dark rides.

jaklgreen

I think Horizons is one of the five best attractions Disney has ever built and I consider AK a quarter-day park. AK doesn't just need thrill rides, it needs all different kinds of rides. The #1 thing it needs is a Fantasyland-style kids land with six or seven D-ticket dark rides.
I think that there are plenty of people who loved that ride. But I don't think that it would be as well received now as it was in the past. Let's face it, people are different now.

Jrb1979

I think that there are plenty of people who loved that ride. But I don't think that it would be as well received now as it was in the past. Let's face it, people are different now.
That's due to short attention spans now. IMO most dark rides aren't well received now. People want some thrill now.

jaklgreen

That's due to short attention spans now. IMO most dark rides aren't well received now. People want some thrill now.
That is what I have been saying. I remember the complaints about the Alien saucer ride in Toy Story Land. People were complaining that it was not an E ticket ride. But people bring their little kids to the parks too. There needs to be rides for them to go on also.
And the attention span thing is so true. If someone is not on a ride, they have their heads stuck in the phone. Constant stimulation now has turned people a bit crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom