Other Disney like parks?

BiggerTigger

I have never been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but I have read and heard that it is the one amusement park that comes closest to Disney standards in terms of cleanliness and theming.

I am planning to go soon and find out for myself if that's true. Anyone care to comment who's been there?
Williamsburg is an awesome theme park. The place is wonderfully landscaped and each little area (various European Countries) is nicely themed and separated. It is some what of a hike as this is set in a ravine and you spend a lot of time hiking up and down hills. But it is well worth the trip.

As for a Disney type theme park there is Lotte World in Seoul, South Korea. http://www.lotteworld.com/Global_eng/Main.asp From the logo you can tell they are ripping off Disney. But it is a nice park, half is done on an island the other is an inside theme park.

mitchk

I pass by Storybook Land a lot (on my way to AC). I used to go there all the time when I was a kid. We loved going around Christmas, and the whole place would be done up in lights. I haven't been there in about 16 years, do they still have that big whale? You could go into his mouth. That was so cool when I was a kid. BTW, Bush Gardens, Williamsburg is a great park. I want to get back there to check out that new 3D, Castle ride they have (Cruse of the Dark Castle, or something like that)

WildLodgeFan

Worlds of Fun in Kansas City is more a theme park vs. an amusement park. It opened in 1973 and was based on "Around the World in 80 Days." There are five lands - Scandinavia, Africa, Europa, the Orient, and Americana. The theming at the beginning was really great. All time favorite was the Viking Voyager - a log flume ride. Of course compared to MK these days, it looks cheesy.

When it was first opened by Lamar Hunt and Jack Steadman, it was really a fun place, but it started to deteriote in the early 90's and was bought by CedarPoint. I wish they would return it to it's former glory, but I'm not holding my breath.

They had some rides that make me think of the MK - the Skyway (which was closed in the mid-80's) and the taxi's remind me a little of the Tomorrowland Speedway.

tdonald

Six Flags has always wanted to be like Disney, but they're totally different. They spend their money on virtually un-themed coasters and concrete jungles with Papa John's and Ben & Jerry's. Not that I hate Six Flags, it's just that they don't compete with Disney. It's a different category of entertainment if you ask me.

You didn't hear it from me, but we should thank Magic Mountain as the reason Disney got rid of the ticket books. :zipit:

jeffbear

I have never been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but I have read and heard that it is the one amusement park that comes closest to Disney standards in terms of cleanliness and theming.

I am planning to go soon and find out for myself if that's true. Anyone care to comment who's been there?

Yeah ... our family has been to Busch Gardens Virginia several times. It has grown more "Disney-esque" over the years since I went there as a teenager back in its first decade or so. The rides are more scewed to the thrill ride type ... the coasters are particularly good ... but they've added themed entertainment over the years ... most notably an Irish dance show in recent years. The level of cleanliness at the Busch parks has always been just terrific, and their customer service level does rival that of Disney's.

Of course it's BG Williamsburgh doesn't have the sheer size and scale of the WDW complex, but it's quality family theme parking for sure ... and when you tie in the proximity to the truly unique experience that is Historic Williamsburgh, Yorktown and Jamestown, then it's a top shelf vacation.

fauna

I pass by Storybook Land a lot (on my way to AC). I used to go there all the time when I was a kid. We loved going around Christmas, and the whole place would be done up in lights. I haven't been there in about 16 years, do they still have that big whale? You could go into his mouth. That was so cool when I was a kid. BTW, Bush Gardens, Williamsburg is a great park. I want to get back there to check out that new 3D, Castle ride they have (Cruse of the Dark Castle, or something like that)

They do still have the whale - it laughs this insane laugh when the kids go in.
:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

KingStefan

Anybody remember Fairy Tale Forest in Oak Ridge, NJ? What a hoot! I loved that place when I was a kid! Low budget, small scale, and cute as heck. Been closed for 5-10 years now. Similar to Story Book Land, but smaller, I think. The main things I remember are the Old Lady who Lived in a Shoe, and the Gingerbread Castle. And the gift shop.

Tinkerbella16

Storybook Land years ago was like how wdw is to me now, when i was real young. We used to go all the time and we just loved everything about it. I don't think I have been to Storybook Land since I started going to WDW when I was 6 years old. I'd like to take a trip there just to see what its like now that I'm 22 yo. It is only 30mins away from me.

tdonald

Of course it's BG Williamsburgh doesn't have the sheer size and scale of the WDW complex, but it's quality family theme parking for sure ...

I thought to myself... what's so great about the parking lot? Why is he talking about that? :veryconfu

Then I read it again and it made sense. :lol:

fredtom

Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA-- just a few miles north of Disneyland-- has nice theming and has been around a long time... Needless to say though, it isn't Disney... but it is good theme park.

The only amusement place that Walt really liked was Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, Denmark. The many parks and zoos he visited in the U.S. and Europe before that depressed him so that he almost gave up his idea of building Disneyland... But Tivoli was an inspiration. He commented, "Now this is what an amusement place should be". I hope to visit there someday.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Phonedave

Anybody remember Fairy Tale Forest in Oak Ridge, NJ? What a hoot! I loved that place when I was a kid! Low budget, small scale, and cute as heck. Been closed for 5-10 years now. Similar to Story Book Land, but smaller, I think. The main things I remember are the Old Lady who Lived in a Shoe, and the Gingerbread Castle. And the gift shop.

Yep, I remember Fairy Tale Forest (sort of, back in the memories somewhere).

And while its still there in a different form, who can forget (Tr)action Park. Oh lord, the accidents and pain that park caused its many faithful customers :)

-dave

Moderne

Does the Universal Studio in Orlando have any Disney-like treatment as far as architecture or themes of different areas of the park?

tdonald

Does the Universal Studio in Orlando have any Disney-like treatment as far as architecture or themes of different areas of the park?

OH YEAH!

Universal's theming is... dare I say :lookaroun... as good as, if not better, than Disney's . Islands of Adventure at Universal is definitely the best themed park I have ever been to, not to mention the fact that The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman at IoA is the best ride EVER!

...And that comes from a Disney maniac! :hammer:

The only thing Universal lacks that Disney has is... well, I guess the word I'm looking for is... well... magic.

kc1296426

Haha I doubt anyone will remember, but does anyone remember the Action Park water park in New Jersey?

I definitely recommend Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Great, awesome park. It has world-class coasters (Apollo's Chariot!!) and great shows and other great theming. I believe it was given the golden ticket and continually rated as the world's most beautiful landscape park. Busch Gardens Tampa is somewhat close to WDW, it's only a 40 minute drive-ish from WDW. It lacks the beautiful-ness of its sister park but it's still something to check out at least once if you have the time.

And also you should try Universal at least once as well. It never hurts to venture out and discover the other cool places in Orlando too, they'res TONS of fun crap to do throughout the city even though it's very touristy.

yankspy

Haha I doubt anyone will remember, but does anyone remember the Action Park water park in New Jersey?

I definitely recommend Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Great, awesome park. It has world-class coasters (Apollo's Chariot!!) and great shows and other great theming. I believe it was given the golden ticket and continually rated as the world's most beautiful landscape park. Busch Gardens Tampa is somewhat close to WDW, it's only a 40 minute drive-ish from WDW. It lacks the beautiful-ness of its sister park but it's still something to check out at least once if you have the time.

And also you should try Universal at least once as well. It never hurts to venture out and discover the other cool places in Orlando too, they'res TONS of fun crap to do throughout the city even though it's very touristy.
I remember Action Park. I seem to remember them having some sort of concrete slide thingy that you rode down on some sort of seated skateboard. How about the Haunted House in Long Branch?

tdonald

It never hurts to venture out and discover the other cool places in Orlando too, they'res TONS of fun crap to do throughout the city even though it's very touristy.

I lived in downtown Orlando for two years. At least with the way it it now, it's not a very great place to be (especially after dark).

If you ask me, except for Disney, Universal, Sea World, and maybe a few other exceptions, Orlando is NOT a great place to be (especially on vacation) for the most part.

KingStefan

I remember Action Park. I seem to remember them having some sort of concrete slide thingy that you rode down on some sort of seated skateboard...

Sure, I remember action park. Great mini race cars.

And I remember flipping over on the concrete slide thingy (apine slide, I believe is what they are called) and destroying my sweater elbow. Tore the wool and literally melted the acrylic fibers. Just bruised me up a bit though, and I managed to get upright and going again before the next rider came down and smashed into me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom