Other Disney like parks?

BillsFanGabe

Original Poster
Are there any Disney parks that are kind of like WDW that are not owened by Disney. For instance it wouldnt it be WDW, DL, Disney Paris, Tokyo Disney, Hong Kong Disney. Like a park owend by a small family or something like that, that has a Disney liked theme in their park?

henryt93

Are there any Disney parks that are kind of like WDW that are not owened by Disney. For instance it wouldnt it be WDW, DL, Disney Paris, Tokyo Disney, Hong Kong Disney. Like a park owend by a small family or something like that, that has a Disney liked theme in their park?

Tokyo Disney is owned by The Oriental Land Company!

tdonald

Adventureland U.S.A. near Des Moines, Iowa, was built by a man who visited Disneyland in the '60s. It has a (small) Main Street, but other than is basically just an...yes, I'm going to call it an... an... amusement park. :lookaroun

I also know that the original Six Flags (Six Flags Over Texas between Dallas and Fort Worth) was inspired by Disneyland. It opened in 1961 and has become less and less like Disney ever since.

Philo

There is a place in England called Drayton Manor which is a family owned park. It has a few original rollercoasters etc but it also has attractions like "Pirates Adventure" which reminds me of something.....

It also has a zoo section which is kind of like a poor mans Animal Kingdom although that has been there for a long as I can remember (at least 20 years) so not taken directly from Disney - it was probably there before all the other attractions.

The layout isn't very Disney esk but there is a nice feel to the place.

There is another park called "The American Adventure". I haven' t been there in years but that borrowed a few attraction ideas like a motion simulator set in a star ship). This is based round a large lagoon in an Epcot style although I'm not sure about the opening dates so I'm not sure if that was inspired.

The park doesn't have a great atmosphere so it doesn't feel very Disney esk.

Finally there are a set of parks called Gullivers Kingdom (or plays on that name) which are aimed at smaller children and contain quite a few ride ideas similar to those found around MK although I couldn't draw a direct comparison off the top of my head. This is a nice place with a good atmosphere.

There are other, much more famous parks in the UK but they don't feel disney at all.

fauna

StoryBook Land in NJ. While not nearly on the scale of any Disney Park, it is a sweet place aimed at the toddler to 9 year old set. There are some small rides, and little houses themed to fairy tales and nursery rhymes. Like, a small Alice in Wonderland walk thru, the kids slide down a little slide to "fall down the rabbit hole." And at the end there's a maze made out of large playing cards. Perfect for young children.

They also do adorable holiday decorating.

BigB911

Idlewild Park in Latrobe, PA (just outside of Pittsburgh) has Storybook Forest, which was around before DL was thought of. It's basically just a walk-thru of children's nursery rhymes, but over the years, it has taken on a sort of Disney feel to it. I can't think of their website off the top of my head, but if you google "Idlewild & Soak Zone," it should come up.

Melerella

StoryBook Land in NJ. While not nearly on the scale of any Disney Park, it is a sweet place aimed at the toddler to 9 year old set. There are some small rides, and little houses themed to fairy tales and nursery rhymes. Like, a small Alice in Wonderland walk thru, the kids slide down a little slide to "fall down the rabbit hole." And at the end there's a maze made out of large playing cards. Perfect for young children.

I loved Storybook Land when I was little. To be honest, I'd go now...if no one was watching lol. :D Do they still have that big pink birthday cake in the middle where everyone can celebrate their birthday?

fauna

Yep, birthday cake is still there. We were there in the fall, and I was practically in tears when we left because my oldest is now 11 and that was probably his last time there. :(

It is just as cute as you remember it.

bgraham34

I thought that closed? But thats good to know its still around.

wickedfan07

I definitely remember being there at least once as a kid. I even remember "helping" Santa turn on all of the Christmas lights in the park over Thanksgiving Weekend once. I hope it didn't close...it was a cute little park.

yankspy

I thought that closed? But thats good to know its still around.

Do any of you Jersey people remember Asbury park? I would not say that it necessarily had a Disney feel but I remember going there a lot as a child. It was my only other park experience other than Disney.:)

Phonedave

Do any of you Jersey people remember Asbury park? I would not say that it necessarily had a Disney feel but I remember going there a lot as a child. It was my only other park experience other than Disney.:)

Oh most definately I remember AP. My grandparents used to take us kids there about twice a month in the summers. Fun House, bumper cars, arcades, etc. And of course the big picture of Tilly.

Of course it's all a big pile of debris now :(

And I also remember Storybook Land in NJ

Along the same lines as storybook land in NJ is is StoryLand in New Hampshire. http://www.storylandnh.com/index-noflash.html

This is a suprisingly well done park, especialy for something as seasonal as NH. There are no "E ticket" rides, but the themeing is very nice, it comes the closest to a WDW feel

Also in NH is Santa's Village http://www.santasvillage.com/ which is also not bad, but in my opinion a tick below StoryLand on the "feel like WDW" meter.

Also in NH is Six Gun city http://www.sixguncity.com/ which I thought was the worst of the bunch, but for some reason my kids love.

I find the whole White Mountains region of NH where these parks are located amazing. There are no less than a half dozen of so of these parks in a 20 mile radius. Somehow they survive, despite the fact that they are closed roughly 8 months out of the year, and the winter weather up there must create massive amounts of maintainance.

-dave

gabroccoli

Oh most definately I remember AP. My grandparents used to take us kids there about twice a month in the summers. Fun House, bumper cars, arcades, etc. And of course the big picture of Tilly.

Of course it's all a big pile of debris now :(

And I also remember Storybook Land in NJ

Along the same lines as storybook land in NJ is is StoryLand in New Hampshire. http://www.storylandnh.com/index-noflash.html

This is a suprisingly well done park, especialy for something as seasonal as NH. There are no "E ticket" rides, but the themeing is very nice, it comes the closest to a WDW feel

Also in NH is Santa's Village http://www.santasvillage.com/ which is also not bad, but in my opinion a tick below StoryLand on the "feel like WDW" meter.

Also in NH is Six Gun city http://www.sixguncity.com/ which I thought was the worst of the bunch, but for some reason my kids love.

I find the whole White Mountains region of NH where these parks are located amazing. There are no less than a half dozen of so of these parks in a 20 mile radius. Somehow they survive, despite the fact that they are closed roughly 8 months out of the year, and the winter weather up there must create massive amounts of maintainance.

-dave

You beat me to the NH parks. We are there every summer with our daughter.

MousDad

I have never been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but I have read and heard that it is the one amusement park that comes closest to Disney standards in terms of cleanliness and theming.

I am planning to go soon and find out for myself if that's true. Anyone care to comment who's been there?

tdonald

I have never been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, but I have read and heard that it is the one amusement park that comes closest to Disney standards in terms of cleanliness and theming.

I am planning to go soon and find out for myself if that's true. Anyone care to comment who's been there?

I've never been but would love to go.

Not to mention that one place with the two highly-themed parks and three resorts only fifteen minutes from WDW. :lookaroun
I think it's called <This message deleted>

:lookaroun Spooky

yankspy

It is nice. It has a European theme and so you could compare it WS but it is not as highly themed. There are a lot of coasters but there are also a lot of shows and such to keep you busy if coasters are not your cup of tea. There is also a water park which is also fun. You also have colonial williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown which are very close. It is about a three hour drive for you and it is definately an area that you can spend 5-6 days at. I would recommend it. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom