Osborne Lights Officially Returning for 2015 for 20th and Final Season

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I suppose you are right.

I don't see it working anywhere in Disney Springs very well, for a variety of reasons (tenant concerns being one of them)...but there's no reason why they couldn't work parts of them into an expanded, new and redesigned World Showcase holiday spectacular.

I do agree, Epcot (World Showcase in particular) seems an obvious choice...at least for certain pavilions (wouldn't really fit with Japan or China, for example....and maybe Morocco, but, other things can be substituted there).
For me Future World is the place to go at Epcot. World Showcase already as the Illum Holiday Show, Candlelight, and the Holiday Storytellers. Future World has barely anything, and has all that available space in the evenings. Lights of Winter fitted there perfectly, and the whole area around Fountain of Nations, and the bridge to World Showcase could serve very well for a light show.

However, I think we'll probably see a number of small offering split between MK and DHS, rather than a new blockbuster addition.

Monorail_Red_77

Too bad they can't put it up in another location. How about Winter Summerland Mini Golf? It's already Christmas there year round. They could be the only mini golf with their own nighttime spectacular.
Ahhh. but what do I know. ;)

JohnD

I might just plan a quick weekend trip for the lights (and Candlelight Processional) in December. Maybe throw in MVMCP.

Trip is set. Definitely glad I'm going on this 20th and final year. Already planning to see them one night. I may have go adjust schedule to return on another night.

JohnD

For me Future World is the place to go at Epcot. World Showcase already as the Illum Holiday Show, Candlelight, and the Holiday Storytellers. Future World has barely anything, and has all that available space in the evenings. Lights of Winter fitted there perfectly, and the whole area around Fountain of Nations, and the bridge to World Showcase could serve very well for a light show.

However, I think we'll probably see a number of small offering split between MK and DHS, rather than a new blockbuster addition.

Imagine what you could do in front of SSE if the tombstones were removed.

po1998

One of the primary reasons I love to visit during the Christmas holidays. I will be really disappointed if they don't move the entire thing somewhere else on property or replace with an equally brilliant and elaborate display.

Just close down Hollywood Studios for two or three years and be done with it until it becomes an WDW park that guests once again want to visit.

What a joke.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
One of the primary reasons I love to visit during the Christmas holidays. I will be really disappointed if they don't move the entire thing somewhere else on property or replace with an equally brilliant and elaborate display.

Just close down Hollywood Studios for two or three years and be done with it until it becomes an WDW park that guests once again want to visit.

What a joke.
I'm sure the festive gingerbread cupcakes will return to DHS next year.

yoda_5729

I am greatly saddened to hear that the Osborne display will be retired after this year. It might not sound like much,or all that impressive even, but it really is a spectacular display. Especially when you figure all the work that went into it, making all the lights LEDs, making them dance, which neither one of those effects were original to the display. It really had a great story behind it as well.

One of the biggest disappointments from this is that it truly was a spectacular display that required no line. No fastpass, no waiting in an auditorioum for the show to start. You simply could just walk up to it, and it was entertainment for ALL ages. It truly is a huge loss. I'm excited about Star Wars, and even Toy Story, but none of those, (yes, even Star Wars) have seemingly the universal appeal of those lights. I know people who visited, and didn't even ride any rides, they just wanted to see the lights, and I would imagine even if you don't celebrate Christmas, it's still an awe inspiring sight. This is bad news, and a punch in the gut.

Though, after reading various responses, I'm aware it's not likely to get relocated, though I would love it if it did. I wish it could still have the story behind it, but I know that's probably not likely. Can you imagine the dark ride that those lights could be. Literally just make a dark ride, like Small World, where your in a boat, going through city facades with Christmas lights. It could be up all the time, even when not Christmas. Maybe I'm just reaching, but it's worth exploring every and all options. It truly was something unique, and spectacular. I still remember when they used to have more merchandise themed to the display,and even had the 3D glasses that let you see bells, angels, or snowflakes.

JohnD

They need to extend park hours. Most nights I'm there the park closes at 8 except one evening EMH to 10pm.

kfergdisney

So sad to see the Osborne Lights leave but so thankful I got to see them. It was one of the highlights on trips to WDW during the Christmas season. No more hidden black cat or Razorback (GO HOGS!!!). I know January 3rd will have an amazing send off of the lights and I can just imagine that the Osborne family will be there!
I truly have faith that Disney is planning up something grand for next Christmas season!

YodaMan

Looks like the globe is going up where the tree usually goes...

Seeing as the Dessert Party is confirmed to be returning, my news guess is that they wanted more space in the Backlot Tour area for Dessert Guests (and so maybe they wouldn't have to sit under a giant metal globe of death).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom