Osborne Lights Officially Returning for 2015 for 20th and Final Season

aeillill

No guarantees the lights will be displayed anywhere at all next year.
Speculation is that they may be moved to Disney Springs.
There's also a chance that Streets of America will remain... though I doubt it. *sniff*

There's also no guarantee I will go next year, but I remain optimistic on all fronts

raymusiccity

Really hoping the Osborne Lights are somewhere when I come and visit next November. I adore the lights and it makes the trip more magical! Mr Osborne did pass away several years ago, but I've heard his family wants to keep the tradition alive...just depends on where next year!

Really sad to see another unique attraction go towards the dust bin. Disney seems to have made it pretty clear that they're not keen on transplanting it to another location. :-(

"In order to prepare for some incredible experiences coming to the park, including the recently announced Toy Story Land and a Star Wars-themed land, we will not be able to present The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights in the future. Our heartfelt thanks go out to the family of Jennings Osborne for letting us share their family tradition year after year. And thank you to all of you for being part of the spectacle with us. Here’s to making more memories in this, the 20th and final year."

note2001

Thomas Smith always picks up the hardest news to relate to us.

Our grand kids, when we eventually have them, will look at Star Wars Land as a standard attraction area, not understanding the thrill behind waiting for new releases and a whole new land. They'll also hear stories and see videos of the Streets of America and the amazing dancing lights and not know what to make of it unless Disney can save the lights.

I wish Disney would put someone in charge of re configuring the lights for another area, even putting it up at a resort would be fine. (Doesn't sound easy, but sounds like a fun job.)

Last edited:

FerretAfros

I'll be sad to see the lights go, but I'm more excited for the potential that area has going forward

Depending what they intend to do with Streets of America in the future, I wouldn't be surprised is they skipped the meticulous removal of the strands of lights the year and just demolished the whole area with the lights in still place

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sad they couldn't find some other way to move it (ahem...World Showcase?)

But, it makes me extra determined to visit this December!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Sad they couldn't find some other way to move it (ahem...World Showcase?)

But, it makes me extra determined to visit this December!
People keep talking about moving them to Epcot or Disney Springs, but it really isn't that simple. The Backlot is a row of facades, that have all the anchor points for mounting in place, and the electrical infrastructure to do it. They are not going to want to cover the World Showcase or Disney Springs buildings with all the mounting hardware, and spend 6 months of the year having them partially installed and being removed.

The lights were a unique fit for the backlot, and something I can't see being replicated anywhere else at WDW.

With the lights going, they need to create a new holiday spectacular, with Epcot being the obvious choice.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
People keep talking about moving them to Epcot or Disney Springs, but it really isn't that simple. The Backlot is a row of facades, that have all the anchor points for mounting in place, and the electrical infrastructure to do it. They are not going to want to cover the World Showcase or Disney Springs buildings with all the mounting hardware, and spend 6 months of the year having them partially installed and being removed.

The lights were a unique fit for the backlot, and something I can't see being replicated anywhere else at WDW.

With the lights going, they need to create a new holiday spectacular, with Epcot being the obvious choice.
And I would argue it is time. While the Osborne Lights are wonderful, 20 seasons is enough. I just hope they actually develop something new next year.

COProgressFan

They very clearly stated it is going away forever.

Which is a shame, because I'm sure there is somewhere on property where they could present something like this. This was one thing that really worked and was well received each year. It was something the whole family could enjoy, and they continued to plus it over the years to make the show even better. It was also fairly unique. It will be missed.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming changes to the Studios, but the loss of one of the major holiday attractions/events on property is a real shame. I'm hoping at some point, there will be some kind of replacement holiday event, somewhere.

COProgressFan

Hoping for an even better holiday event in the future!

PlaneCrazy1978

Thomas Smith always picks up the hardest news to relate to us.

Our grand kids, when we eventually have them, will look at Star Wars Land as a standard attraction area, not understanding the thrill behind waiting for new releases and a whole new land. They'll also hear stories and see videos of the Streets of America and the amazing dancing lights and not know what to make of it unless Disney can save the lights.

I wish Disney would put someone in charge of re configuring the lights for another area, even putting it up at a resort would be fine. (Doesn't sound easy, but sounds like a fun job.)

I think in a few years there will be a lot of explaining and picture showing to the kids about what DHS "used to be". Heck, I still call it "MGM" occasionally. Excited to see what is going to happen but sad at the same time. In with the new!

englanddg

One Little Spark...

I suppose you are right.

I don't see it working anywhere in Disney Springs very well, for a variety of reasons (tenant concerns being one of them)...but there's no reason why they couldn't work parts of them into an expanded, new and redesigned World Showcase holiday spectacular.

I do agree, Epcot (World Showcase in particular) seems an obvious choice...at least for certain pavilions (wouldn't really fit with Japan or China, for example....and maybe Morocco, but, other things can be substituted there).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom