Orlando Sentinel: Wand Ahead of Schedule

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Quick blurb from the Orlando Sentinel:

Deconstruction work of the arm and wand structure at Epcot, shown here a few days ago, is ahead of schedule so far, including removal of the letters "Epcot" and the star from the wand's apex.
However, Epcot Vice President Jim MacPhee said the more difficult work, involving disassembly of the tower and base, are yet to come.
The whole thing is supposed to be gone by Epcot's 25th anniversary, Oct. 1.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2007/07/epcot-wand-remo.html

Disney4648

I am predicting this thread will reach 2,000 posts and over 200,000 thread views, this new will bring pandemonium to wdwmagic.

cb3k

Great News...A lil disheartening that the hardest work is still ahead of them, this makes me think that it being gone by late August is unlikely...Or is it Merf?

SirNim

Good that they're running ahead of schedule, so as to allow more time for the removal of the Millennium Central canopy... :lookaroun

Matpez

Sunday, from the monorail-

IMG_0499-1.JPG

Since1976

Wow, didnt know it was that large of a structure. Best pic of the wand so far.

Yeah, the wand structure is not merely some cheap scaffolding. I remember standing next to it for the first time and remarking how *permanent* it looked. Those steel girders are huge and surely sunken deep into the ground. The wand is essentially a building with no walls or floors.

bgraham34

I have never walked on the wand side while entering the park. I for one now think that massive structure did not belong.

WDWFigment

Well thats the first "offical" statement I've seen of Epcot's 25th.

I wouldn't quite call the article an official statement. It's simply saying that date is Epcot's 25th anniversary, which is a fact. Whether Disney chooses to recognize/acknowledge the anniversary doesn't change the fact that on that date, Epcot will have been open for 25 years. :shrug:

I think there have been official statements recently by MacPhee and others. The most recent was in a newsletter the other day. I don't have the link, but it was discussed here. I think Merf started the thread.

jmvd20

Yeah, the wand structure is not merely some cheap scaffolding. I remember standing next to it for the first time and remarking how *permanent* it looked. Those steel girders are huge and surely sunken deep into the ground. The wand is essentially a building with no walls or floors.

Exactly, the wand was never designed to be up for only a year or 2.

The actual steel columns will not be sunk into the ground, they will be bolted to a concrete footing that goes into the ground.

WDWcouple

and here I was thinking that they bolted it directly into the Disney Vault.... Where all of the movies go and never return :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom