Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

el_super

Nope. Employees can start moving into temporary offices in August. All affected cast will be notified by November 1. Relocation decisions will be finalized by February 1.

That's the time line for the first 2,000 (of they get that). That doesn't indicate they can't back out of moving "most" of the jobs as they continue down this timeline.

EeyoreFan#24

Disney and Univsal really gave up too soon. Would have been a great business decision to keep at it a few more years.

I always thought USO is kinda the sleeper in the FL studios market. Seems like every once and awhile there is filming of major shows in the sound stages and filming in the streets less often. Seems like they could turn up the studios side quickly if they wanted too. Disney not so much.

WannaGoNow

That's exactly the point I'm making. When they use "initially," it implies "and there's more to come that we haven't announced yet."

People are acting like this move will be *just* 2,000 DPEP staff. It isn't.
And the point I'm making is that moving non-WDW roles to Orlando didn't work out. If they are moving WDI and CP, Disney must attract and retain a deep talent pool. And that talent pool can receive just as lucrative compensation packages elsewhere (yes, even with the difference in CoL - we're talking Disney salaries, which are never at the top of the scale for all but the most sr. execs), plus the opportunities for growth are limited to moving up in their current role or... nope, that's it. It's not like talent in Orlando can easily jump to Warner Bros. or Amazon or Netflix or Apple - all of which base their entertainment divisions in LA.

This isn't Disney's last time doing something like this and it won't be the last. The only constant is Disney corporate constantly reshuffling divisions. This is Consumer Products' second major reshuffle since 2015 - and that's a division that makes money. Heaven help those that are less lucrative.

I can't count the times Disney corporate has decided they want to get into a line of business, they acquire one as their entry, they relocate employees to the newly acquired business, then they decide they want to outsource/license the line of business instead and lay everyone off. Then three years later, they decide they want to get back into the line of business, they acquire one...rinse and repeat.

Disney's primary business is NOT theme parks. Disney's primary business is the production of IP. The IP drives ALL the other ancillary businesses, including theme parks. They are not going to relocate out of Los Angeles or move additional business units there, no matter how hard some are pushing this narrative. (Which makes me wonder if they have Lake Nona property to sell 😂 )

If I took the relocation package and moved to Lake Nona - I'd rent instead of buy. Just sayin'. Easier to dump a rental when Disney closes down a location.

I do agree the move won't be just 2000 staff. It will be less, because the internal reaction is :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

Lilofan

I just can’t figure out why they chose Lake Nona.

And to all of you bad talking Florida - yes, you’re right. It sucks and we’re full, don’t move here!!
10 years ago Lake Nona a few miles from the airport runways at MCO was just swamps and such. It is night and day from what it looks like now. Enjoy the continual airplane take off and landings day and night!

raymusiccity

Nope. Employees can start moving into temporary offices in August. All affected cast will be notified by November 1. Relocation decisions will be finalized by February 1.
Looks like a lot of planning has gone into this. I think the current business climate in California hit the tipping point. Lots of news coming out with further details as the days go by:

"The Walt Disney Company plans to relocate 2,000 employees from Southern California to a new "regional campus" in Lake Nona, Florida, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Josh D'Amaro told employees.

The letter from D'Amaro was provided to Disney "cast members" to inform them of the upcoming relocation to a campus that "has been in various stages of planning since 2019."

The campus's location in Lake Nona is near the Orlando International Airport, and within Orlando, Florida where the Walt Disney World resort and theme park operates.

The company expects the new campus will become home to "most Southern California-based DPEP professional roles that are not fully dedicated to the Disneyland resort," though the specifics of which employees will relocate are still unknown.

DPEP is the official name for all business segments of the Disney company.

International parks employees and "certain corporate roles that primarily support DPEP, along with a few other select enterprise functions will also move to this campus."

Mouse Trap

That's exactly the point I'm making. When they use "initially," it implies "and there's more to come that we haven't announced yet."

People are acting like this move will be *just* 2,000 DPEP staff. It isn't.

So what other divisions do you think will be heading to Orlando?

Having DPEP in Orlando makes sense… Orlando is the theme park capital of the world.

Anything else though? Not too sure that’s a smart move.

Last edited:

Mouse Trap

I always thought USO is kinda the sleeper in the FL studios market. Seems like every once and awhile there is filming of major shows in the sound stages and filming in the streets less often. Seems like they could turn up the studios side quickly if they wanted too. Disney not so much.

Orlando had its chance and blew it. I don’t think it’s coming back as a secondary market with the rise of Atlanta and especially now with Albuquerque coming onto the scene so fast.

DonaldDoleWhip

When they do it wrong.. sure :)
Yeah, I don't get the sentiment that this sort of iterative collaboration can't happen across locations.

The Zoom era has already given us gems like Raya and the Last Dragon and Luca, both of which were pleasant surprises for many. It even gave us the Ratatouille musical out of nowhere, which was a little rough around the edges but had some sparks of brilliance in the casting and songwriting. More of this, less mandatory face time please.

Also, the same processes that gave us Cars (eh?) also gave us Cars 2.

StaceyH_SD

I await the update on this big move in 3-5 years. 😂 I mean, Bob C. just bought a fancy new McMansion in SoCal for $12.5M. He’s not going anywhere.

As I said in an earlier comment I do think it makes sense that anything that is heavily related to WDW be close to WDW. That might help get some focus on things that need doing there. But film and tv production won’t move there. Pixar isn’t moving there. Lucasfilm isn’t moving there. Disney Feature Animation isn’t moving there. Disney+ won’t be moving there. Most of their competition for those things is based in CA. And, more importantly, the talent and skilled workforce is there.

CaptainAmerica

So what other divisions do you think will be heading to Orlando?

Having DPEP in Orlando makes sense… Orlando is the theme park capital of the world.

Anything else though? Not too sure that’s a smart move.
There's no reason why Corporate staff need to be in Burbank or anywhere else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom