Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

MorphinePrince

People vote with their feet and if you look at net migration of FL vs NY or CA it tells you everything you need to know. The data doesn’t lie.
Some of the people in this thread are truly so laughable. If I was told I had to leave somewhere like CA for the tropical paradise that is Florida, I'd be packing the second I got home from work!!

Mouse Trap

Some of the people in this thread are truly so laughable. If I was told I had to leave somewhere like CA for the tropical paradise that is Florida, I'd be packing the second I got home from work!!

The only thing close to a tropical paradise in Florida are the Keys 😂

I'd classify Florida more as a tropical humid wasteland -- I write this as I attempt to enjoy my Florida patio. Looks like we'll dip below 90 degrees by 5PM today!

MorphinePrince

The only thing close to a tropical paradise in Florida are the Keys 😂

I'd classify Florida more as a tropical humid wasteland -- I write this as I attempt to enjoy my Florida patio. Looks like we'll dip below 90 degrees by 5PM today!
The evenings have been real nice here this week, good weather for brews and fireworks!!

MorphinePrince

I'll agree with you there -- the evenings have been great this week. The previous three weeks were abysmal though. Run for your life lightning by 2PM and then a little break before torrential downpours at 6PM.
Omg, yes!! Our trip this year was able to be stretched into two weeks and last week was utterly miserable. I don't recall the lightning storms starting so early in the day when I lived here. We got stuck at MK last Thursday around 1pm 😱

CaptainAmerica

Worth pointing out some of the exact language here that people seem to be glossing over:

"Initially, it will be home for at least 2,000 Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Cast, Imagineers and employees, plus select corporate roles—driving further collaboration and creativity, while better integrating our business and functional teams."

Note "initially" and "at least."

Mouse Trap

Worth pointing out some of the exact language here that people seem to be glossing over:

"Initially, it will be home for at least 2,000 Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Cast, Imagineers and employees, plus select corporate roles—driving further collaboration and creativity, while better integrating our business and functional teams."

It's not being glossed over, it's just not worth discussing -- like any business the idea behind building an office is to fill it with people. No one is expecting Disney to open these offices with the intention their employee count at said location will shrink.

DonaldDoleWhip

The weather in the south only sucks if you're a total weakling. It's good to see people like you run from the south, makes it a more enjoyable place to live 🤷‍♂️
Weaklings? I’d say it’s more “pick your poison.”

Would you rather risk your home being destroyed by the next big earthquake (alternate choice: devastating wildfire) or the next big hurricane (alternate choice: spontaneous sinkhole)?

Do you enjoy perfect weather for vigorous outdoor activities year-round: skiing, snowboarding, surfing, hiking, you name it—or are you okay with flat terrain, constant thunderclaps, and donning a poncho throughout the stormy season?

Do you value having world-class restaurants and street food a few minutes away, or are you a super fan of Darden Restaurants, theme park food, and that one impressive neighborhood gastropub? Admittedly Orlando’s and Tampa’s food scenes have improved, but the variety isn’t close to LA or the Bay Area.

Different strokes for different folks, but I wouldn’t say choosing to take on higher costs for perceived benefits makes one a weakling.

TYOTimer

I just can’t figure out why they chose Lake Nona.

And to all of you bad talking Florida - yes, you’re right. It sucks and we’re full, don’t move here!!
Close to MCO, and rapidly expanding with open areas to build. Plus, if Disney ever wanted a second chance at doing something like Celebration, there’s the space to do it there

WannaGoNow

People vote with their feet and if you look at net migration of FL vs NY or CA it tells you everything you need to know. The data doesn’t lie.
No, data doesn't lie.

The latest study (of many; this myth has been pushed despite years of research proving the opposite) shows there is no "millionaire flight" from CA, migration during the pandemic was mostly from CA urban centers to more suburban CA counties, and CA continues to attract more venture capital funding in total dollars than the next nine states combined. 🤷‍♀️

Initially, Disney-MGM Studios was an animation and TV production hub. 🤷‍♀️

el_super

It's about time they moved it all to Orlando, WDW has been neglected way too long

Location of offices has nothing to do with the finances of expansion. They don't make decisions on which attractions to build and where to spend money just because the office is located next door.

Long term planning wont suddenly change.

I believe @marni1971 already confirmed most of WDI isn't leaving?

I will say there seems to be a bit of denial going around right now. Lots of WDI types saying "this isn't us" and "they cant move our team."

Some groups WERE told on Friday, but no one I know seems to have an idea if its close to the 2,000 already or not. Some additional language going out on Friday sees to suggest they would accept volunteers first too...

For what its worth, there is a separate WDI Office located in Anaheim that primarily focuses on Disneyland, so the presumption here is that everyone at 1401 can be moved and fall outside the category that will stay.

But all that said... This hasn't been rolled out the best way and it seems there is a lot of opportunity to diplomatically reverse course in the next 18 months.

CaptainAmerica

It's not being glossed over, it's just not worth discussing -- like any business the idea behind building an office is to fill it with people. No one is expecting Disney to open these offices with the intention their employee count at said location will shrink.
My point is, I think Disney THEMSELVES are underplaying this, probably to avoid internal panic before they have everything figured out. I think when this is all said and done, this will look a lot more like a full on HQ2 for The Walt Disney Company rather than just a "regional hub" for the DPEP segment.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My point is, I think Disney THEMSELVES are underplaying this, probably to avoid internal panic before they have everything figured out. I think when this is all said and done, this will look a lot more like a full on HQ2 for The Walt Disney Company rather than just a "regional hub" for the DPEP segment.

If it were to be something more than office workers - where's the big campus and environment that Disney will start moving into? Where's the A-level office space TWDC would treat like home?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom