Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
In a stunning move, I’m hearing that Disney is moving thousands of jobs to Lake Nona, an area of Orlando just east of the airport. This is huge for Orlando’s economy and a big blow to California, especially to Glendale, where WDI and Consumer Products are currently based. The entire unit of the company, Parks, Experiences, and Products, will be primarily based in Orlando from now forward. Expect an official announcement soon. This is huge for Orlando’s economy and Florida in general.

RSoxNo1

In a stunning move, I’m hearing that Disney is moving thousands of jobs to Lake Nona, an area of Orlando just east of the airport. This is huge for Orlando’s economy and a big blow to California, especially to Glendale, where WDI and Consumer Products are currently based. The entire unit of the company, Parks, Experiences, and Products, will be primarily based in Orlando from now forward. Expect an official announcement soon. This is huge for Orlando’s economy and Florida in general.
I'm sure this is politically motivated. The tax rate alone may be enough for them to justify it for their employees.

It's no secret Disney wasn't thrilled with how long it took for them to be allowed to re-open California. If the state of Florida is more willing to play ball with them, it makes some sense.

As a fan, I wonder if this will mean large events like the D23 Expo will find their home in Florida as well.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Unlikely, as the star power alone in California will trump anything in Florida.
I'm sure this is politically motivated. The tax rate alone may be enough for them to justify it for their employees.

It's no secret Disney wasn't thrilled with how long it took for them to be allowed to re-open California. If the state of Florida is more willing to play ball with them, it makes some sense.

As a fan, I wonder if this will mean large events like the D23 Expo will find their home in Florida as well.

DCBaker

Premium Member
This was rumored a few months ago. Idea was they'd move select divisions. Keeping political stuff out of this, there are a lot of reasons from a business perspective that this would make sense.

Was that this thread from January?

SirLink

Mmm...if you want Hollywood actors to show up it'll stay in Anaheim.

Notes from Neverland

Was that this thread from January?

That's the one. A bunch of speculation popped up around the various Disney sites around April 2021 too, if memory serves.

DCBaker

Premium Member
OS just posted the story -

"A new Disney campus in Orlando’s Lake Nona community will be home to more than 2,000 professional employees relocating from California, the company revealed Thursday afternoon.

Most of the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products professional roles based in southern California that are not fully dedicated to Disneyland Resort, or in some cases the international parks business, will be asked to relocate to Orlando, said Josh D’Amaro, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.

The move to the Orlando regional campus is expected to take place through the end of next year. The company did not release a specific location or opening date.

“As someone who has moved with my family from California to Florida and back again, I understand that relocation is a big change, not only for the employee, but also for their families,” D’Amaro wrote in a letter to staffers. “Therefore, moving these roles to Central Florida will take place throughout the next 18 months, providing flexibility in timing to accommodate individual situations and needs.”"

D’Amaro was promoted to chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products last year from his role of president at Walt Disney World, which he started in 2019. Before that, he had been president of Disneyland Resort since 2018.

The Lake Nona campus has been in the works since 2019.

Lake Nona is a master-planned community developed by Tavistock Development Company southeast or Orlando International Airport."

“This new project will create a dynamic environment to support our expanding business — a brand-new regional campus which will be built in the vibrant Lake Nona community of Orlando, Florida,” D’Amaro said in the letter. “With more than 60,000 Cast Members, Imagineers and employees, Central Florida has long been home to many of our businesses including the Walt Disney World Resort and most of our Disney Signature Experiences team.”

seascape

OS just posted the story -

"A new Disney campus in Orlando’s Lake Nona community will be home to more than 2,000 professional employees relocating from California, the company revealed Thursday afternoon.

Most of the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products professional roles based in southern California that are not fully dedicated to Disneyland Resort, or in some cases the international parks business, will be asked to relocate to Orlando, said Josh D’Amaro, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.

The move to the Orlando regional campus is expected to take place through the end of next year. The company did not release a specific location or opening date.

“As someone who has moved with my family from California to Florida and back again, I understand that relocation is a big change, not only for the employee, but also for their families,” D’Amaro wrote in a letter to staffers. “Therefore, moving these roles to Central Florida will take place throughout the next 18 months, providing flexibility in timing to accommodate individual situations and needs.”"

D’Amaro was promoted to chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products last year from his role of president at Walt Disney World, which he started in 2019. Before that, he had been president of Disneyland Resort since 2018.

The Lake Nona campus has been in the works since 2019.

Lake Nona is a master-planned community developed by Tavistock Development Company southeast or Orlando International Airport."

“This new project will create a dynamic environment to support our expanding business — a brand-new regional campus which will be built in the vibrant Lake Nona community of Orlando, Florida,” D’Amaro said in the letter. “With more than 60,000 Cast Members, Imagineers and employees, Central Florida has long been home to many of our businesses including the Walt Disney World Resort and most of our Disney Signature Experiences team.”

This is great news for WDW and the parks! If this is what is to come in the future we are going to see improvements all over WDW.

WannaGoNow

They’re relocating 2000 jobs which is less than 5% of Disney’s California-based staff. In addition, California-based employees will be offered relocation assistance.

I have a feeling “big blow” does not mean what you think it means….

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Mmm...if you want Hollywood actors to show up it'll stay in Anaheim.
Disneyland people are staying in Anaheim.

They’re relocating 2000 jobs which is less than 5% of Disney’s California-based staff. In addition, California-based employees will be offered relocation assistance.

I have a feeling “big blow” does not mean what you think it means….
2,000 is phase 1, and most of the California-based staff you're talking about (in terms of raw numbers) are frontline Parks employees. Of course the ride operator at Disneyland Space Mountain isn't moving to Florida.

castlecake2.0

Interesting they chose lake Nona while they already have office scape at celebration with what looks like another tower about the start construction. Possibly because Celebration can’t handle 2000 more families moving into it.

wutisgood

Disney keeps growing and their space is limited in California especially by the parks as they keep expanding them and taking away offices around Disneyland. I imagine future company office expansion will focus on Orlando since they own a ton of land there along with more autonomy on how they operate. I think there will still be plenty of people in Glendale.

WannaGoNow

Disneyland people are staying in Anaheim.

2,000 is phase 1, and most of the California-based staff you're talking about (in terms of raw numbers) are frontline Parks employees. Of course the ride operator at Disneyland Space Mountain isn't moving to Florida.
The Creative Campus in Glendale alone employs 10,000, and that’s not including the Studios in Burbank nor the satellite buildings in Burbank and other surrounding areas. Currently, there are only 15,000+ employees at Disneyland, and per the LA Times the 2% number is based on current staff.

Last edited:

doctornick

How much, if any, of WDI is moving? I'm assuming this would be more heavy on the parks (and cruise) side of "Disney Parks, Experiences and Products" rather than the consumer products.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom