Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Mouse Trap

In and out, fair point. But I imagine the idea will be for as many people as possible to live *within.*

ETA: Not to mention, the commutes in and out of TDO or the Burbank lots aren't exactly piece of cake, either.

For now, yes — and a majority of people relocating can surely afford Lake Nona. Looking long term though, and as soon as Disney starts hiring people at FL salaries or replacing them, they won’t be able to afford Lake Nona.

CaptainAmerica

1) No, we’re talking about the company’s tax burden. What does Disney care about how much its employees pay in taxes? Why would that be a “politically motivated” decision? All the move means re: employees is that Disney will lower salaries. And yes, I am familiar with Disney adjusting salaries to match location of occupation.

2) Uh huh. Sure, Jan.
You: What does Disney care about how much its employees pay in taxes?

Also you: All the move means re: employees is that Disney will lower salaries.

Sort of answered your own question there, innit?

CaptainAmerica

For now, yes — and a majority of people relocating can surely afford Lake Nona. Looking long term though, and as soon as Disney starts hiring people at FL salaries or replacing them, they won’t be able to afford Lake Nona.
Disney's TDO staff make FL salaries and live in Windermere and Doctor Phillips.

Not sure there's a huge difference there, other than Lake Nona skewing higher temporarily because everything is new construction.

djkidkaz

Moving all these imagineers to Florida sounds like the beginning stages of planning for a fifth gate finally. Need to stay competitive with Epic Universe. Do you really think Disney is not going to have a response to Uni building a third theme park? Well, here is the start of that answer.

Mouse Trap

Not sure there's a huge difference there, other than Lake Nona skewing higher temporarily because everything is new construction.

You’re kidding right? 80%+ of TDO does not live in those areas and I’m sure 99% do not live in Windermere unless they are VP+, unless we’re speaking about those pockets of middle-class suburbia that managed to squeak into the Windermere zip code.

Lilofan

If Burbank cast keep their CA salary pay and relocate to Orlando consider it a pay raise and cheaper cost of living as opposed to living in CA. Just get used to the oppressive heat of Central FL and at times hurricanes.

the.dreamfinder

Moving all these imagineers to Florida sounds like the beginning stages of planning for a fifth gate finally. Need to stay competitive with Epic Universe. Do you really think Disney is not going to have a response to Uni building a third theme park? Well, here is the start of that answer.
No, that’s ridiculous. Nothing’s going to happen on a fifth gate due to this relocation.

The best case is we see more TLC in the current parks because top execs visit more often.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Nah…not really.
No way in hell. That’s another topic…but this conclusion is not how it ends
You’re kidding right? 80%+ of TDO does not live in those areas and I’m sure 99% do not live in Windermere unless they are VP+, unless we’re speaking about those pockets of middle-class suburbia that managed to squeak into the Windermere zip code.
Yeah…living on vacation has a price. The “price” is that you are underpaid.

Mouse Trap

No, that’s ridiculous. Nothing’s going to happen on a fifth gate due to this relocation.

The best case is we see more TLC in the current parks because top execs visit more often.

Hopefully, though I’d argue now the talent pool of Disney employees will get worse. We can argue all we want about taxes, cost of living, etc., but Florida, Orlando especially, has never attracted top engineers, creatives, etc that California has.

I went to school in Florida, worked in Florida and spend half the year in Florida — I have no problem admitting the education and work opportunities aren’t all that prestigious.

Lilofan

Hopefully, though I’d argue now the talent pool of Disney employees will get worse. We can argue all we want about taxes, cost of living, etc., but Florida, Orlando especially, has never attracted top engineers, creatives, etc that California has.

I went to school in Florida, worked in Florida and spend half the year in Florida — I have no problem admitting the education and work opportunities aren’t all that prestigious.
Any CA based creative folks enjoying CA legalized recreational bud are no longer going to go that route relocating to FL.

CaptainAmerica

I think this is slightly outdated thinking. Florida is a lot sexier now than it used to be.

I also think you're missing that California keeps a lot of people away, too. I know I'd never move to a place where I'd need $2 million to buy a decent four bedroom house within 30 minutes of my office.

I think you're NET correct, it's easier to get talent to California than Florida. But I don't think it's especially drastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom