Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Goofyernmost

It’s not happening, the governor had nothing to do with the decision to stop this project.
I agree, but the timing of the situation couldn't have been any better to create an excuse and flex a little muscle at the same time. Loved it! Although not the main reason it really was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. Every once in a while management does something right. Who knew!

Andrew25

Does Disney still own the land?

Now that all of the fighting between Disney and the state is over, is Disney still keeping the land in case they decide to proceed with this?

I'm all in, selfishly, for WDI to move to Orlando so they can look at how out of shape our 4 parks are.

Lilofan

Does Disney still own the land?

Now that all of the fighting between Disney and the state is over, is Disney still keeping the land in case they decide to proceed with this?

I'm all in, selfishly, for WDI to move to Orlando so they can look at how out of shape our 4 parks are.
WDI had numerous cast in Orlando while Eisner was in charge. After the Treasure Planet movie dud, a good amount of them were fired.

Andrew25

There’s already a sizable contingent working at Epcot. The trailer complex at Disney’s Animal Kingdom being built by Disney indicates it may stick around after Tropical Americas is complete.
Well aware, just think that Florida being "home" for the entire team makes far more sense from a strategic perspective. Not just 4 WDW parks, but also 3 Universal parks that can provide inspiration for them.

el_super

Well aware, just think that Florida being "home" for the entire team makes far more sense from a strategic perspective. Not just 4 WDW parks, but also 3 Universal parks that can provide inspiration for them.

What strategic sense is there?

I know there is this almost cliche notion at this point that if people (creatives? leaders?) could get into the parks and SEE what is going on, they would change their minds about the direction of the parks... but I really don't see that being true.

Andrew25

What strategic sense is there?

I know there is this almost cliche notion at this point that if people (creatives? leaders?) could get into the parks and SEE what is going on, they would change their minds about the direction of the parks... but I really don't see that being true.
I can be wrong, but Florida at the end of the day is their flagship resort that needs to see continued investing and having the majority of Imagineers closer to WDW sounds better to me.

And with Universal Creative home in Orlando, it'll be easier to poach them when it comes to attracting talent.

lazyboy97o

I can be wrong, but Florida at the end of the day is their flagship resort that needs to see continued investing and having the majority of Imagineers closer to WDW sounds better to me.

And with Universal Creative home in Orlando, it'll be easier to poach them when it comes to attracting talent.
Even Universal Creative still has a sizable workforce based at Universal Studios Hollywood.

Really it seems that the location of headquarters is going to matter less and less. Walt Disney Imagineering’s presence in Orlando has been growing for awhile now. A lot of vendors and third parties have also set up offices in Orlando. It seems more like we are headed towards the major concentrations being split between California and Florida while there is just a general shift towards project work happening more locally to the respective resort.

el_super

The decision to invest or not, doesn't really seem like it is one that would necessitate being on site though right? Maybe there is a certain bias you are thinking exists where executives would spend more on their home park? But to be honest, with most of the core exec team being in Burbank, the likelihood is that the people making the financial decisions visit both resorts pretty equally.

DLR92

Imagineers need to stay in Glendale. However they should invest another satellite office. It was a stupid move on Disney to force imagineers to move to Florida. Why not have two imagineer office? One for west coast and one for Florida.

lazyboy97o

Imagineers need to stay in Glendale. However they should invest another satellite office. It was a stupid move on Disney to force imagineers to move to Florida. Why not have two imagineer office? One for west coast and one for Florida.
There is already a sizable office in Florida. It’s at Epcot. They started moving beyond just handling small projects over a decade ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom