Original Test Track Plans

Scuttle

Original Poster
Does anyone have any information about the original Test Track blueprints? I have read that it was suppose to go upwards of 90 mph instead of 65 and it was suppose to be a little bit longer. I am kind of obsessed with Test Track and would love to know how even more incredible this ride would have been. IMO Test track is the 2nd most underrated attraction at WDW.

forevermickey

I think test track is cool, BUT... I was kinda disappointed when I rode it for the first time last year... the one stretch of speed was really cool... but where was the rest of the thrill? I did like it because my 5 year old could ride with us ... because it was so tame...

Can you tell me what you like about it so much?

Scuttle

Original Poster
I like the whole idea of the guests being real live crash test dummies. I like that it is a dark/outdoor ride. I like theming. Most of all I like that test track has led the way for a new Disney style ride system. I mean carsland and radiator springs racers is going to incredible. Indiana jones and dinosaur are also the same technology. I don't think it is in the tops 3 rides in WDW but it is without a doubt in my top 10. I think test track is very underrated and I guess that's maybe why I like it so much I dunno.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indiana jones and dinosaur are also the same technology
Loosely related.

I know of the early blue sky plans for a bigger futuristic design, but the as-opened version was pretty much nailed down speed and layout-wise years before it opened. What was finally built was always going to be like that.

Ham

I think I heard or read somewhere that as you say it was meant to go faster on the loop but then angle of the banked curve would have been too steep in the event of an evac that they had to reduce it and hence have a slower top speed

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think I heard or read somewhere that as you say it was meant to go faster on the loop but then angle of the banked curve would have been too steep in the event of an evac that they had to reduce it and hence have a slower top speed
Indeed. But again that was ironed out way before work began. GM were aiming for around 80, but were limited by the bank angle versus a ride stop, so plumped for the maximum US legal limit.

TP2000

Indeed. But again that was ironed out way before work began. GM were aiming for around 80, but were limited by the bank angle versus a ride stop, so plumped for the maximum US legal limit.

Legal limit? It depends on which state you are in, but many states have speed limits of up to 75 or 80 mph on freeways. Utah has an 80 mph limit. Montana has stretches where there are no posted speed limits, except what the driver deems as "prudent" for the road conditions and can easily top 80 mph. Texas and Kansas are both considering raising their speed limit to 85 mph for rural freeways, up from their current 80 mph limit.

Here in Southern California on the Great SoCal Freeway System, the limit is up to 70 mph. But no one pays attention to the signs and if you aren't doing at least 75 mph, you won't last long. The cool kids all do at least 80. If you are Al Gore's son driving a Prius down the San Diego Freeway in Mission Viejo, you can do over 100 mph with drugs in the glove compartment. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3345350&page=1 But it's embarassing when you are let out of jail the next day. :cool:

Scuttle

Original Poster
So OP, what do you consider the first-most underrated ride at WDW? You never said... just curious.

Yessir, it certainly is...

Most underrated is Dinosaur. Ya i know all about the maintenance issues and all, but it's still a very good ride. I'd also like to say that Living with the Land is right there with Dinosaur and Test Track for me as most underrated. I'd say for the non thrill category that Living with the Land, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Liberty Square Riverboat, Tom Sawyer's Island are all always walk-ons and very good attractions.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

1- no one insults the Dinosaur ride :fork:
2- Test track needs a complete overhaul and more speed track time with more more obstacles and cars that can go faster thru those obstacles. I go straight to the showroom, my favorite part of the pavilion.

montyz81

1- no one insults the Dinosaur ride :fork:
2- Test track needs a complete overhaul and more speed track time with more more obstacles and cars that can go faster thru those obstacles. I go straight to the showroom, my favorite part of the pavilion.
I honestly think they could also put in some of the show sets from the original World of Motion. Try to get the story of the entire WOM ride into 3 or so sets and then the rest is a course through testing a vehicle and then the speed test as the finally!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I honestly think they could also put in some of the show sets from the original World of Motion. Try to get the story of the entire WOM ride into 3 or so sets and then the rest is a course through testing a vehicle and then the speed test as the finally!

Some of those scenes could fit in the fast moving setting of the ride. I wish they would play its fun to be free somewhere within the pavilion.

Serious? You do know how bad a shape the visuals are in?

Oh no... what happened to my favorite Animal Kingdom ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom