Original Alice in Wonderland Ride

BayouShack

“A final loud yell (the same one from the “Goofy cartoons”

Referring to that scream before the final crash door to the outside vine sequence.

Homemade Imagineering

I’d really love to see a virtual reconstruction of the original Mr. Toads wild ride someday, since it happens to be my personal favorite out of the fantasyland dark rides. Then again I’m not too sure whether Don has access to any original audio recordings of the original Mr. Toad like he did for Alice. I was amazed by the Alice recreation nonetheless, and I’d love to see more type of that work with other undocumented defunct attractions.

Rich T

Random Cheshire Cat observation: The smaller, silhouette-like figure that swung down from above the footstool like an old-fashioned traffic sign appears to have had a "staring eyes" gimmick similar to the larger Cheshire Cat figure. I noticed that in these two shots (conveniently taken from different angles), his pupils seem to be in different positions, so I think it's likely that this figure too had recessed sclerae and projected pupils which would "follow" riders as they moved past. Also, if Don Carson's 1958 re-creation is correct, then the red eyes staring from the darkness at the beginning of the Tulgey Wood utilized the same effect.
Yes, I can verify that both Cheshire Cats and the Tulgey Wood eyes all used the two-level following-eyes effect. As a kid, I was so inspired when I noticed how it was done that—once home from vacation—I grabbed my cardboard supply, exacto knife, blacklight and dayglow paints and made my own little 2-plane Tulgey Wood eye panel. 😃

Rich T

I’d really love to see a virtual reconstruction of the original Mr. Toads wild ride someday, since it happens to be my personal favorite out of the fantasyland dark rides. Then again I’m not too sure whether Don has access to any original audio recordings of the original Mr. Toad like he did for Alice. I was amazed by the Alice recreation nonetheless, and I’d love to see more type of that work with other undocumented defunct attractions.
Let me know if you have any specific questions about pre-83 Toad. I never rode the opening day bare-bones version, but took dozens of trips on the “plussed” original: The one with the butler and motorcycle cop added, but the devil’s mouth removed and the axe-wielding suit of armor retired to background prop.

Okee68

I actually started my own attempt at a 1955 Mr. Toad reconstruction back in July, but I pretty much gave up after only a few days. The current ride uses the same track as the original, minus a straightaway (the original train tunnel) in between what is now Winky's Pub and the point in the Hell scene where the track turns to the left after passing through the rock maw. This track plan most likely isn't totally accurate, but it's the best I've been able to come with given the information I've accumulated over the years.

Attachments

• MTWR track plan.png
    MTWR track plan.png
    685.4 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

Okee68

Here's all the progress I made on my '55 Toad project; not really much to see, but still a little bit neat.

Attachments

• mt1.png
    mt1.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 320
  • mt2.png
    mt2.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 297
  • mt3.png
    mt3.png
    245.7 KB · Views: 264
  • mt4.png
    mt4.png
    444.8 KB · Views: 277
  • mt5.png
    mt5.png
    243.1 KB · Views: 261
  • mt6.png
    mt6.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 263
  • mt7.png
    mt7.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 282
  • mt8.png
    mt8.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 247
  • mt9.png
    mt9.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 263
  • mt10.png
    mt10.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 311

Okee68

Let me know if you have any specific questions about pre-83 Toad. I never rode the opening day bare-bones version, but took dozens of trips on the “plussed” original: The one with the butler and motorcycle cop added, but the devil’s mouth removed and the axe-wielding suit of armor retired to background prop.
Oh man, I never knew they got rid of that utterly sick devil's mouth! That was almost like something straight out of a 1930s pretzel ride. Its removal makes sense though, as I think the original flat stalagmites and stalactites in the Hell scene were replaced by dimensional rock-work in 1961 or so (correct me if I'm wrong on this, but this seems to be the case judging by photos of riders exiting the scene), and it really wouldn't have fit the more "realistic" aesthetic at all.

Attachments

• Rare Toad photo.png
    Rare Toad photo.png
    490 KB · Views: 292

Homemade Imagineering

Thanks for offering to answer any questions! I do have one. What was the audio like throughout the attraction? Any details you can think of would be interesting to hear!

Rich T

Thanks for offering to answer any questions! I do have one. What was the audio like throughout the attraction? Any details you can think of would be interesting to hear!
Very loud and raucous (but without the crispness of the ‘83 sound equipment). The 2 policeman whistles and the motorcycle cop’s siren were so loud you could hear them over and over throughout the ride, which added to the chaotic feeling (You could actually hear the motorcycle siren through the building wall from the outdoor side queue). I believe the non-film chorus version of The Merrily Song played in the Toad Hall rooms, but after that it was all sound effects with no music or voices (except for the cackling devils).

Okee68

I have a few questions as well. I've been a pre-1983 Fantasyland dark ride schmuck for years and years, so it's a miracle to actually get to speak with somebody about this stuff! Not to bombard you, but:

1. Was there anything besides a blank void of darkness between Toad Hall and Ratty's house? The "E" Ticket issue on Mr. Toad features a cutaway layout that suggests there wasn't as of 1955, although anything could have changed over the years. (For the record, I'm assuming the kitchen with butler replaced the little nook at the end of Toad Hall pictured in the attached image, which today is the end of the hallway with swinging weasels. This is always where I've presumed the kitchen set-up to be, although I really have no idea!)

2. Where exactly were MacBadger and Moley added to Toad Hall? I know Ratty was added at the beginning of the "village street" scene (in front of a storefront door) at some point, but I've never seen any photographic evidence of MacBadger and Moley even having existed. The "E" Ticket suggests that they were indeed in Toad Hall, but that's just about it.

3. Do you remember any specifics about the stretch of woods in between the warehouse and train tunnel? The "E" Ticket cutaway gives a decent idea of what was found there, but one whole side of the area is missing, of course. Any little bit of information that can't be inferred by that illustration is a treasure by me.

4. Do you remember exactly how the train tunnel sequence played out? As in, did the light actually move toward you, how much time was spent approaching the light versus the time spent "crashing", did the flashing lights mentioned in The "E" Ticket totally expose the scene as a corridor with walls? Those sorts of things.

Again, not to come off as overly-eager, but asking this stuff is genuinely exciting for me!

Attachments

• TH.png
    TH.png
    703.3 KB · Views: 215

Homemade Imagineering

Very loud and raucous (but without the crispness of the ‘83 sound equipment). The 2 policeman whistles and the motorcycle cop’s siren were so loud you could hear them over and over throughout the ride, which added to the chaotic feeling (You could actually hear the motorcycle siren through the building wall from the outdoor side queue). I believe the non-film chorus version of The Merrily Song played in the Toad Hall rooms, but after that it was all sound effects with no music or voices (except for the cackling devils).
Awesome! It definitely sounds like it was a classic style pretzel dark ride! I would’ve loved to have ridden it back then! Also, was the Merrily Song the same one WDW used years later?
(This one)

Last edited:

Okee68

Awesome! It definitely sounds like it was a classic style pretzel dark ride! I would’ve loved to have ridden it back then!
To me, it sounds like it would have been similar to the WDW version of Mr. Toad audio-wise, especially the right-side track, which was a bit louder than the other one and had less music to drown out sound effects bleeding in through other scenes. On either track, however, you could hear the whistle of the town square cop, both sets of railroad crossing bells, and both ear-splitting train whistles throughout almost the entire building. I think all three of those might have been produced by real, physical means as opposed to playing off magnetic reels, which would definitely explain why they were so loud if true.

Homemade Imagineering

To me, it sounds like it would have been similar to the WDW version of Mr. Toad audio-wise, especially the right-side track, which was a bit louder than the other one and had less music to drown out sound effects bleeding in through other scenes. On either track, however, you could hear the whistle of the town square cop, both sets of railroad crossing bells, and both ear-splitting train whistles throughout almost the entire building. I think all three of those might have been produced by real, physical means as opposed to playing off magnetic reels, which would definitely explain why they were so loud if true.
Nice observations there! I definitely remember the WDW version being incredibly loud, based on all of the YouTube ride throughs I’ve watched! I personally think the loud and chaotic aspect adds quite a bit of charm to the attraction, and generally makes it more chaotic, which is perfect for Mr. Toad!

Okee68

Nice observations there! I definitely remember the WDW version being incredibly loud, based on all of the YouTube ride throughs I’ve watched! I personally think the loud and chaotic aspect adds quite a bit of charm to the attraction, and generally makes it more chaotic, which is perfect for Mr. Toad!
You're right on that one; that's why I appreciate the fact that Disneyland's Mr. Toad still hasn't received proper soundproofing. Sometimes being able to hear things you're not necessarily supposed to just brings a certain flavor of intensity and rowdiness to a ride's atmosphere in a way best described as "masterfully discordant". And it's kind of funny that you should bring up the notion that WDW's Toad Hall music may have been used for the original 1955 ride as well, as I actually wrote a gigantic wall of text detailing my thoughts on that particular theory in the comments of the video you posted.

Homemade Imagineering

You're right on that one; that's why I appreciate the fact that Disneyland's Mr. Toad still hasn't received proper soundproofing. Sometimes being able to hear things you're not necessarily supposed to just brings a certain flavor of intensity and rowdiness to a ride's atmosphere in a way best described as "masterfully discordant". And it's kind of funny that you should bring up the notion that WDW's Toad Hall music may have been used for the original 1955 ride as well, as I actually wrote a gigantic wall of text detailing my thoughts on that particular theory in the comments of the video you posted.
Haha, I saw that comment after going to the video on YouTube to see if anyone had the same idea as I did, and sure enough I saw your comment! I just didn’t know it was you until you told me just now, since your YouTube username is different.

Rich T

I have a few questions as well. I've been a pre-1983 Fantasyland dark ride schmuck for years and years, so it's a miracle to actually get to speak with somebody about this stuff! Not to bombard you, but:

1. Was there anything besides a blank void of darkness between Toad Hall and Ratty's house? The "E" Ticket issue on Mr. Toad features a cutaway layout that suggests there wasn't as of 1955, although anything could have changed over the years. (For the record, I'm assuming the kitchen with butler replaced the little nook at the end of Toad Hall pictured in the attached image, which today is the end of the hallway with swinging weasels. This is always where I've presumed the kitchen set-up to be, although I really have no idea!)

2. Where exactly were MacBadger and Moley added to Toad Hall? I know Ratty was added at the beginning of the "village street" scene (in front of a storefront door) at some point, but I've never seen any photographic evidence of MacBadger and Moley even having existed. The "E" Ticket suggests that they were indeed in Toad Hall, but that's just about it.

3. Do you remember any specifics about the stretch of woods in between the warehouse and train tunnel? The "E" Ticket cutaway gives a decent idea of what was found there, but one whole side of the area is missing, of course. Any little bit of information that can't be inferred by that illustration is a treasure by me.

4. Do you remember exactly how the train tunnel sequence played out? As in, did the light actually move toward you, how much time was spent approaching the light versus the time spent "crashing", did the flashing lights mentioned in The "E" Ticket totally expose the scene as a corridor with walls? Those sorts of things.

Again, not to come off as overly-eager, but asking this stuff is genuinely exciting for me!
1) The version I rode (mostly in the 197Os) had you knock over the poor butler, then crash through the left wall into that dark corner where now a Policeman stood, (surrounded by just darkness) blowing his whistle and thrusting a white-gloved palm at you. You turned right onto the twisty country road.

2) Moley was right at the start. You entered the building through two show doors, and Moley (small flat cutout) was directly in front of you as the 2nd door opened. He was painted with a shocked expression, and he swiveled away to the left on a mechanism (like a door opening) in a way that suggested the car had struck the poor guy. A right U-turn, and then you encountered an outraged MacBadger sitting behind a desk in your path. And... the desk kinda moved backward out of your way as you made the left U-turn. It was odd—even odder because MacBadger been painted waaay off-model, so he looked like a little old human man. I think this moment replaced the Suit of Armor that used to lower its axe at riders, but now just stood motionless in the background.

3) Between the warehouse and train tunnel, you zig-zagged between flat trees with faces, painted to look like they were leaning back in fear, holding their branch-arms up to shield themselves from being struck (just like on the old outdoor ride mural). The neat thing was that this narrow twisty bit smoothly widened into the train tunnel entry scene, and it was a great transition as the tunnel entry and crossing gate came into view as you zigzagged through the trees, just gradually enough to give you plenty of time to realize what you were getting into, with the gate warning bell sounding throughout.

The train tunnel entry was so much better on this version. The countryside setting was believable, and you had plenty of time to see that gaping tunnel waiting for you. And then there was the signalman, staring at you with a sleepy, stoned expression like he didn’t care if you lived or died. Creepy!!!! :D

4) The train tunnel was great. Entering the tunnel, swallowed by darkness, you clump-clumped forward over actual bumps simulating the railroad ties, and for a couple of seconds, that‘s all you heard or saw. Then you heard the train’s bell and rhythmic chugging steam (higher-pitched chug than the current one) as the headlamp appeared and bore down on you (I’m sure it did move forward—It certainly appeared to).

Now, in all the times I rode, there was a loud crashing sound and a final, more pronounced CLUNK as you rode over one last floor bump, but no flashing lights at all. Just complete darkness—I never saw anything in the tunnel but the train’s headlight.

Then it was kind of weird, because you went around a couple of turns in darkness for a few seconds (where the devil’s mouth used to be), then a pair of doors opened and you were in the small hell cave full of little cackling devils. Five seconds later, you were heading out through the final door. :)

Last edited:

Okee68

1) The version I rode (mostly in the 197Os) had you knock over the poor butler, then crash through the left wall into that dark corner where now a Policeman stood, (surrounded by just darkness) blowing his whistle and thrusting a white-gloved palm at you. You turned right onto the twisty country road.

2) Moley was right at the start. You entered the building through two show doors, and Moley (small flat cutout) was directly in front of you as the 2nd door opened. He was painted with a shocked expression, and he swiveled away to the left on a mechanism (like a door opening) in a way that suggested the car had struck the poor guy. A right U-turn, and then you encountered an outraged MacBadger sitting behind a desk in your path. And... the desk kinda moved backward out of your way as you made the left U-turn. It was odd—even odder because MacBadger been painted waaay off-model, so he looked like a little old human man. I think this moment replaced the Suit of Armor that used to lower its axe at riders, but now just stood motionless in the background.

3) Betwen the warehouse and train tunnel, you zig-zagged between flat trees with faces, painted to look like they were leaning back in fear, holding their branch-arms up to shield themselves from being struck (just like on the old outdoor ride mural). The neat thing was that this narrow twisty bit smoothly widened into the train tunnel entry scene, and it was a great transition as the tunnel entry and crossing gate came into view as you zigzagged through the trees, just gradually enough to give you plenty of time to realize what you were getting into, with the gate warning bell sounding throughout.

The train tunnel entry was so much better on this version. The countryside setting was believable, and you had plenty of time to see that gaping tunnel waiting for you. And then there was the signalman, staring at you with a sleepy, stoned expression like he didn’t care if you lived or died. Creepy!!!! :D

4) The train tunnel was great. Entering the tunnel, swallowed by darkness, you clump-clumped forward over actual bumps simulating the railroad ties, and for a couple of seconds, that‘s all you heard or saw. Then you heard the train’s bell and rhythmic chugging steam (higher-pitched chug than the current one) as the headlamp appeared and bore down on you (I’m sure it did move forward—It certainly appeared to).

Now, in all the times I rode, there was a loud crashing sound and a final, more pronounced CLUNK as you rode over one last floor bump, but no flashing lights at all. Just complete darkness—I never saw anything in the tunnel but the train’s headlight.

Then it was kind of weird, because you went around a couple of turns in darkness for a few seconds (where the devil’s mouth used to be), then a pair of doors opened and you were in the small hell cave full of little cackling devils. Five seconds later, you were heading out through the final door. :)
Lots of valuable stuff right here! Thanks a lot for replying! I had personally always wondered if there were any anthropomorphic trees in that wooded section as there were in the queue mural, and I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a single account of them before. I think it's especially interesting that they seem to have shortened the Hell scene for whatever reason, bringing it down to a length possibly even shorter than the WDW Hell scene from the way you describe it. If you don't mind, I have a few more questions as well:

1. You might have seen the Fantasyland dark ride montage from the 1962 film Forty Pounds of Trouble (which can be viewed here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YX9ee_yEVgKNcwwzvyl4y_oyXvdYhpiE) featuring very brief glimpses of Snow White and Mr. Toad. Can you tell me whether or not the train headlight is the actual one from the ride? I've always had trouble determining if it is, as the camera bounces up and down, and that strikes me as something that would have been incredibly difficult to pull off while actually riding through the attraction.

2. Can you tell me where exactly the attached photo was taken? The "E" Ticket cutaway illustration places a similar set-up with a cop under a "KEEP OUT" sign immediately after the warehouse, which has me believe that this view is what your car would have been darted toward upon exiting that scene. It appears as though I'm looking at four different walls or "layers" at the same time; one to the left edge of the still featuring a barely-visible gnarled tree (I've always presumed a batch of gnarled, dead trees to be on the left as soon as the warehouse was exited), the main layer featuring the cop and mounted sign, a layer featuring a wooden fence, and a layer in the very back featuring the signal box with its weird, patterned windows and yellow railroad crossing sign. I think the breakaway crossing gate is visible even beyond all that, although I could be completely wrong about everything here.

3. The "E" Ticket claims that there was a large mirror in the darkness at some undisclosed point within the attraction that would reflect the headlights of the vehicles. Do you have any recollections of this, or was this something that had been removed before you ever rode through? It appears to me that the cars' apparent headlamp functionality may have been nullified in 1961, when opaque, orange caps were placed over them. No idea if that's actually true, though.

Attachments

• 1980 Police Officer.png
    1980 Police Officer.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Rich T

Lots of valuable stuff right here! Thanks a lot for replying! I had personally always wondered if there were any anthropomorphic trees in that wooded section as there were in the queue mural, and I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a single account of them before. I think it's especially interesting that they seem to have shortened the Hell scene for whatever reason, bringing it down to a length possibly even shorter than the WDW Hell scene from the way you describe it. If you don't mind, I have a few more questions as well:

1. You might have seen the Fantasyland dark ride montage from the 1962 film Forty Pounds of Trouble (which begins in this video at 4:28 - ) featuring very brief glimpses of Snow White and Mr. Toad. Can you tell me whether or not the train headlight is the actual one from the ride? I've always had trouble determining if it is, as the camera bounces up and down, and that strikes me as something that would have been incredibly difficult to pull off while actually riding through the attraction.

2. Can you tell me where exactly the attached photo was taken? The "E" Ticket cutaway illustration places a similar set-up with a cop under a "KEEP OUT" sign immediately after the warehouse, which has me believe that this view is what your car would have been darted toward upon exiting that scene. It appears as though I'm looking at four different walls or "layers" at the same time; one to the left edge of the still featuring a barely-visible gnarled tree (I've always presumed a batch of gnarled, dead trees to be on the left as soon as the warehouse was exited), the main layer featuring the cop and mounted sign, a layer featuring a wooden fence, and a layer in the very back featuring the signal box with its weird, patterned windows and yellow railroad crossing sign. I think the breakaway crossing gate is visible even beyond all that, although I could be completely wrong about everything here.

3. The "E" Ticket claims that there was a large mirror in the darkness at some undisclosed point within the attraction that would reflect the headlights of the vehicles. Do you have any recollections of this, or was this something that had been removed before you ever rode through? It appears to me that the cars' apparent headlamp functionality may have been nullified in 1961, when opaque, orange caps were placed over them. No idea if that's actually true, though.

1) I haven’t seen that awesome “Peter Pan’s Scary Wild Ride” montage in ages til now—What fun! How neat to see the Motorcycle Cop in action again (side note: the actual siren was much louder and didn’t play until your car had turned away onto the dock scene, creating a PERFECT illusion that he was chasing after you!)
As for the train light... I can’t be certain, but I’m going to say it’s real simply because of the shakey camera which seems to match what would happen with the bumpy railroad ties effect (but that’s not the ride’s train sound effect). Love the movie’s use of Seagull cries for the Snow White vultures! :D

2) The photo reminds me I left out an important detail about the tree-lined road: When you burst out of the dynamite warehouse, you immediately encountered the 2nd Whistle Cop standing ahead of you, and you swerved left onto the tree road. That’s about where that photo’s taken, though there was at least one zig zag through scared trees on either side before reaching tbe train signal gate. I’m guessing it’s just the angle the shot’s taken from makes the room look more compressed than it is/was.

3) Oh, yes, that big mirror was definitely there, and very effective! The glowing black light painted headlights of your car were clearly visible in the mirror. Great, simple scare! I think this was the zig zag Country Road sequence:

- Whistle Cop in pitch dark corner
- Right U turn onto road
- Huge Mirror with car horn
- Left U turn
-Ratty’s House (flat painting, no WDW Ratty-in-Doorway element)
- Right U Turn
- Painted Country Scenery
- Left U-Turn
- Ratty right in front of you at start of village street! Shocked expression (like Moley), he swerved aside to the left (like Moley) as if you just struck him (like Moley). Ratty was a small, flat cutout, but (super micro trivia!) his mustache was on a 2nd plane, held in place by a little wooden block, which was all unintentionally revealed as he turned sideways. I remember that because it just looked weird.:D
- Right turn into One-Way Alley heading toward Motorcycle Cop.

The current MTWR still uses the mirror gag in a different spot on the country road, but it’s not nearly as prominent or startling.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom