Orange Lake Resort (Holiday Inn)

DocMcHulk

Anyone have any opinions on Orange Lake?

It will be myself and 10 yr old DS.

Much thanks!
What part of the resort are you staying in? I stayed there in 2009 and liked it. We didnt use much of their facilities, but our time share was nice.

H20Babie

Original Poster
We are hoping to stay in the River Island section. We can't book it yet as it is still just over a year away.

DocMcHulk

We are hoping to stay in the River Island section. We can't book it yet as it is still just over a year away.

We stayed in West Village. But that are looks really cool. I hope you have a great time.

PS: 429 to Western Way is an excellent "backdoor" into WDW

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
I was there last feb and yesterday just booked for two weeks next Feb.

We loved it, fantastic resort and very well maintained.

I am a hotel snob, so that is quite a recommendation. ;)

Rob562

We stayed in the West Village back in 2005. It was nice, very much like I remember as a kid when we stayed there in 1986. (West Village is the original section of the resort) We didn't spend much time using the various amenities of the resort, though.

One tip regarding getting to Disney is to look at a map and learn how to enter the WDW property via Sherberth Road. The faster you get off of US192, the better. It enters property near Animal Kingdom Lodge.

-Rob

ILUVTHEMOUSE

DH and I are owners at Orange Lake. My aunt and uncle owned the unit before we bought it from them in 2000. We love the resort. It has changed quite a bit over the years and we always spend a couple days just hanging around the resort.

As for the accommodations, we feel spoiled. We own a two bedroom unit and with two teenage boys we have plenty of room. Our unit is in the west village and we love it there. We're within walking distance to the clubhouse and pool area.

The only negative thing I can say about Orange Lake is that we have had issues with the check in staff getting rude when we decline the owner breakfast. All they want is to try and sell us more weeks/points and we are not interested. Other than that, no problems.

Hope you enjoy your stay!:wave:

My parents have owned there since 1992. We love it there (it was the only name i could think of for my screenname). we stayed there two weeks (sometimes 3 or more) every year till we moved down to Orlando. We still go there on weekends just to use the facilities. My favorite spot is staying in the deepest part of the west village away from everything. If u happen to be a golfer and play the legends in the morning, on a couple of the holes you are only a few yards away from the safari area of the animal kingdon and can hear the animals waking up. It does get annoying though when an elephants trumpets right in your downswing and u duff a shot.

So to summarize, awesome place. Great pools (something like 15-20 pools) great golf (Real and mini) decent restaurants on property and close to the chains on 192. Close to pretty much all attractions.

DH and I are owners at Orange Lake. My aunt and uncle owned the unit before we bought it from them in 2000. We love the resort. It has changed quite a bit over the years and we always spend a couple days just hanging around the resort.

As for the accommodations, we feel spoiled. We own a two bedroom unit and with two teenage boys we have plenty of room. Our unit is in the west village and we love it there. We're within walking distance to the clubhouse and pool area.

The only negative thing I can say about Orange Lake is that we have had issues with the check in staff getting rude when we decline the owner breakfast. All they want is to try and sell us more weeks/points and we are not interested. Other than that, no problems.

Hope you enjoy your stay!:wave:

A few things. When ever we stay there my parents always take the owners breakfast, free meal and free stuff like Disney money or discounts on tickets. We originally owned one week at a two bedroom and every time they switched companies they would offer to double our points (or weeks) if we switched with them. At this point we own like 3 weeks at a River Island 4 bedroom. That's being spoiled! We had 2 full kitchens, 2 balconies, and an extra bedroom we just used as storage. It was soooooooo nice.

H20Babie

Original Poster
Thanks for all the recommendations and tips! We are looking to rent a 2 bed/2 bath villa (my parents have decided to join us, but only if we stay at Orange Lake). Can anyone recommend someone/somewhere that rents these out, rather than booking through Holiday Inn?

I was also told that you had to rent the tubes for the lazy river ... is this correct or is that included with the resort fee? :confused:

Thanks again!
:wave:

souslesoleil

I've stayed at Orange Lake many times and loved it! We've always been in the West Village. If you can't get into River Island- which might be likely, as it's always in very high demand- I'd use the West Village as your next choice. All (or nearly all) of the villas were recently redone, and they're extremely nice. That being said, even the older villas in other parts of the resort are still more than acceptable; they're very bright and spacious regardless of how recently they've been updated!
And yes, it is true that you have to rent tubes for the lazy river. I tried bringing my own one time but was quickly told I couldn't use it. However, people sometimes leave their discarded tubes floating around the lazy river after they've left the pool complex, and sometimes it's possible to snap one of them up provided that you're sure nobody is still using it! :)

stelledelmare

This is where I've been staying with my family every time I've been to Disney World for the past 6 years or so. It's really my aunt's timeshare but she lets my family use it primarily now. We've always been in West Village but I love the whole place. When I was younger I used more of the facilities like the game room which is great for kids. There's plenty of space and I love that it's such a short drive away from the parks.

H20Babie

Original Poster
Update -- Got a 2bed/2bath villa in the West Village during the week leading into Easter for $1095! My parents will now be sharing it with us so for about $550 each, I'm super excited!

:sohappy:

Can anyone tell me a bit more about the West Village?

souslesoleil

The West Village has basically been entirely refurbished quite recently, so I'd expect that your condo should be very up-to-date and nice. In addition, the "Clubhouse" in the West Village where you check in has been nicely redone as well. There is a store called The Marketplace close to the Clubhouse where you can purchase certain groceries, and souvenirs, and order a pizza, ice cream, or coffee. However, assuming that you'll have a car, it's just as easy (and more economical) to drive over to the Publix supermarket right next to the resort to pick up your groceries. Near The Marketplace is a fitness center and tennis courts.
Also in the West Village, there's a restaurant called Breezes, which is Key-West themed and is located near the Clubhouse and pool area. There are two pools in the West Village; one is very large and the other is smaller. Near here, there is a mini-golf course, and past the clubhouse is an area where you can rent jetskis or small boats to ride around the lake.
That's about all I can think of at the moment, but if you want to know anything else I'll be more than willing to try and help!

H20Babie

Original Poster
Thank you souslesoleil.

Do you know how good the internal shuttle is/how often does it run? With a 10 year old, I am sure we'll be spending some time at River Island.

souslesoleil

You're welcome :) We've never actually used the internal shuttle because we always rent a car, but from what I've heard, it's very good. I don't know anything about the shuttle schedule, but I'd assume it runs fairly often.

souslesoleil

Oh, OK. Having a car really does make things easier! :)
My family and I really do like it there; it's probably the most convenient "village" to stay in, as it's closest to the entrance/exit and near many of the important features of the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom