Opinions on Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster (Poll)

What would you want Disney to do with Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster?

• Leave it as is

Votes: 234 62.6%
  • Re-theme it with a new band

Votes: 46 12.3%
  • Re-theme it with an IP

Votes: 71 19.0%
  • Don’t care/Not ever riding it anyway

Votes: 23 6.1%

• Total voters

WDWTank

Now that the Paris version is closed, they should bring those lights/rigs to WDW. The "light show" version of RnRC is vastly superior to the "2D cutouts with cartoon-style images" version we have here. That would also allow them to update it with multiple bands, including popular contemporary acts that would bring people into the park to check out "X's ride."

The only pre-ride area they'd have to rework (in order to apply the Paris "roller coaster built in a recording studio" storyline) would be the "alleyway." But it would definitely be worthwhile.

Anyway, just my humble opinion.
The theming of the alleyway is so amazing though

Marc Davis Fan

The theming of the alleyway is so amazing though

I'm not sure if you mean that, but regardless, I do think it's cool. But it's not immersive, because it's not visually believable - there's obviously a track, and the vehicle is obviously a roller coaster train instead of a limo. As a result, the suspension of disbelief they're requiring is basically impossible,. It works when the theme is semi-abstract and whimsical (as with Space Mountain), but not when they're going for such a specific, real-world story/location as "a Los Angeles alleyway and a limo to the Aerosmith concert."

IMHO

Goofyernmost

The only inversion coaster that I ever rode or will ever ride is RnRC. Because it is dark and I don't see it coming. How else are they going to incorporate an actual thrill ride to make it realistic. I don't think there is anywhere in LA where the road does an upside down loop. The theme is more to keep people amused while they wait in the queue and be a basis for the music track. How is the realism any different on Space Mtn. If you were in space you would not be dipping up and down, making sharp corners that throw you from one side to another. Even if those movements happened in space there is no gravity so nothing would pull you one way or the other. Sometimes we tend to blame Disney for our own lack of imagination and willingness to suspend disbelief.

Last edited:

Robbiem

I’d like to see this become something new. I’ve never really felt that the theme fitted sunset boulevard and with the studios morphing into more of a ’land’ based park having a rock and roll themed coaster with 90s images and cut out theming is, to me at least, dated and a relic from a different era.

what I would do would be to make the coaster part of an Indiana Jones land. If possible reconfigure the animation courtyard / launch bay area to give access then retheme the ride to a wild ride through a lost temple, a roller coaster version of the ride in Disneyland. Then add a second ride maybe a tamer water ride like pirates and if there is space possibility a playground area and you’d have a great addition to the park

WDWTank

I’d like to see this become something new. I’ve never really felt that the theme fitted sunset boulevard and with the studios morphing into more of a ’land’ based park having a rock and roll themed coaster with 90s images and cut out theming is, to me at least, dated and a relic from a different era.

what I would do would be to make the coaster part of an Indiana Jones land. If possible reconfigure the animation courtyard / launch bay area to give access then retheme the ride to a wild ride through a lost temple, a roller coaster version of the ride in Disneyland. Then add a second ride maybe a tamer water ride like pirates and if there is space possibility a playground area and you’d have a great addition to the park
That but where the Indy Stunt Show is, not a replacement for RnRC

bryanfze55

Time for a retheme. I just don’t associate Aerosmith with Disney. It’s thrills for the sake of thrills, and there’s nothing wrong with that... but I can get it at any theme park. Build a Muppets roller coaster.

TheDuke

They can leave it as is for now although eventually when the members of Aerosmith start dying they're going to need a re-theme because that would be awkward.

I have suggested retheming it to The Beatles with their animated Yellow Submarine avatars. The Beatles are just classic and not "dated" and are kind of the prototypical rock band in most people's minds. The issue is they don't exactly go with California but with all the new stuff at HS they don't seem to care about that as the setting anymore.

Lirael

While retheming to another band is a good idea, I can;t imagine Disney ever spending money on a refurb if it's not for adding IP. I fully expect a retheme (if it happened) to include... uh... *checks list of IPs not yet in use in the park* Marvel characters.

macefamily

Aerosmith is getting ancient, and there's now more fighting within the band. But being the old fart that I am, I grew up with their music which I love. I think the roller coaster appeals to the 40-60 yr old range. I'm sure most teens - 20's are wondering "who the hell these guys are and that music is old." But the theme may serve a purpose because I can remember when my kids just started being tall enough to ride it, they asked questions about Aerosmith. Over the years, most of my kids, not all, have developed an appreciation for 'the boys from Boston' which I love to see. It's a different concept. You don't always have to switch to the new and shiny thing. Ask Universal about E.T.

MickeyLuv'r

Initially, I thought the theming was an odd choice, and it felt out of place to me. If there was going to be an Aerosmith coaster, then maybe MGM should have been built with a whole music themed land?

Now though, the coaster has been in place for many years.

Whenever I visit HS, RnRC still gets long lines. As long as it is still popular with WDW's customers, then - generally speaking - it should probably stay.

Other parts of WDW feel more dated to me. How many kids still pretend to be Tom Sawyer these days?

Incomudro

They can leave it as is for now although eventually when the members of Aerosmith start dying they're going to need a re-theme because that would be awkward.

I have suggested retheming it to The Beatles with their animated Yellow Submarine avatars. The Beatles are just classic and not "dated" and are kind of the prototypical rock band in most people's minds. The issue is they don't exactly go with California but with all the new stuff at HS they don't seem to care about that as the setting anymore.

The Beatles are also boring and don't lend themselves to a launch and inversions.

FettFan

Other: The Polka-Your-Eyes-Out Powercoaster, Starring Weird Al Yankovic

weird-al-accordian.jpg

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Beatles classic ? I disagree and personally only see them as something out of the 60s that should stay there.

TotallyBiased

Aerosmith is getting ancient, and there's now more fighting within the band. But being the old fart that I am, I grew up with their music which I love. I think the roller coaster appeals to the 40-60 yr old range. I'm sure most teens - 20's are wondering "who the hell these guys are and that music is old." But the theme may serve a purpose because I can remember when my kids just started being tall enough to ride it, they asked questions about Aerosmith. Over the years, most of my kids, not all, have developed an appreciation for 'the boys from Boston' which I love to see. It's a different concept. You don't always have to switch to the new and shiny thing. Ask Universal about E.T.

You'd be surprised. Games like Rock Band have brought these bands some recognition to the younger crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom