Opinion?

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Hey all,

Due to the lovely past couple of years my mom has 250ish points due to expire at the end of January. They’re 2020 points, And we can’t get down there before they expire. We are hoping our February plans don’t get derailed by omicron…

My mom just wants to let them expire. She says it’s just how things are with Covid.
We don’t want to bank them with RCI since DVC is switching to interval.

Does anyone think I should push her to bank into interval after the first? Is it too late to do that anyway? How long would we have to use the interval points?

Thanks for your help!

nickys

Premium Member
Hey all,

Due to the lovely past couple of years my mom has 250ish points due to expire at the end of January. They’re 2020 points, And we can’t get down there before they expire. We are hoping our February plans don’t get derailed by omicron…

My mom just wants to let them expire. She says it’s just how things are with Covid.
We don’t want to bank them with RCI since DVC is switching to interval.

Does anyone think I should push her to bank into interval after the first? Is it too late to do that anyway? How long would we have to use the interval points?

Thanks for your help!
I haven’t read the details about banking points into Interval.

At this point I would contact the main brokers and see if they could rent at least some of them out for you. I think at least one such broker allows “distressed points” like these to be rented out at your own choice of price. Someone might be glad to snap them up.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
My mom is worried about needing to pay tax on the rental income. Is that a real concern?

I suggested renting them out back in October when we knew they would go unused.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
My mom is worried about needing to pay tax on the rental income. Is that a real concern?

I suggested renting them out back in October when we knew they would go unused.
Rental income should be taxable, but let’s say you get $11 a point distressed, you’re looking at $2750 in cash, and even if she owed the highest tax rates in the country, she’d still be up ~$1500 after paying said taxes.

But even that is a worst case scenario, because it’s likely you could deduct a substantial chunk of that $2750 and only pay taxes on a small part, see http://dvcfan.com/2021/02/18/do-i-have-to-pay-taxes-when-renting-my-dvc-points/

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Thanks. I think she really would prefer to just lose the points than deal with the tax stuff. She uses TurboTax. 🤷‍♀️ I dunno. Thanks for the advice. If it comes up again I’ll push her to rent the extra points earlier. Does anyone have a preferred broker?

Club Cooloholic

Thanks. I think she really would prefer to just lose the points than deal with the tax stuff. She uses TurboTax. 🤷‍♀️ I dunno. Thanks for the advice. If it comes up again I’ll push her to rent the extra points earlier. Does anyone have a preferred broker?
Can you still bank them with RCI? If possible do that or with the new Exchange. RCI will keep the points alive and you can even book it out for next year. She might be surprised some of the decent options it has.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Can you still bank them with RCI? If possible do that or with the new Exchange. RCI will keep the points alive and you can even book it out for next year. She might be surprised some of the decent options it has.
I don’t know. My wife and I have a different timeshare that trades through rci. Honestly we struggle to use those points. I can’t see my mom being excited about her options. Maybe I’ll wait until after the first and see if she can bank them to interval. Worst case she loses those points later.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I don’t know. My wife and I have a different timeshare that trades through rci. Hopefully we struggle to use those points. I can’t see my mom being excited about her options. Maybe I’ll wait until after the first and see if she can bank them to interval. Worst case she loses those points later.
One other thing you could do is just put the word out with family and friends and see if anyone wants them. You could see if they would be willing to just put towards dues, or you could just be doing someone a really big solid.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
I can’t figure out how to put them into interval. Do you have to call? I mean. I know it’s not until after the first. But the DVC website doesn’t seem to have an easy “bank with rci” button that I can find. And I can’t imagine they’ll update things quickly and smoothly on Jan 1.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
One other thing you could do is just put the word out with family and friends and see if anyone wants them. You could see if they would be willing to just put towards dues, or you could just be doing someone a really big solid.
I also suggested this. She’s very generous with her points. She’s letting my family have some for August 22 and she’s booking my cousin a week in December 22. There’s not a ton of availability at Disney between now and February 1. If I wouldn’t have to pull kids out of school I would just find a way to use them, but I can’t. 😔

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I can’t figure out how to put them into interval. Do you have to call? I mean. I know it’s not until after the first. But the DVC website doesn’t seem to have an easy “bank with rci” button that I can find. And I can’t imagine they’ll update things quickly and smoothly on Jan 1.
As far as I know you have to call. I’ve never heard of it being done online.

correcaminos

I also suggested this. She’s very generous with her points. She’s letting my family have some for August 22 and she’s booking my cousin a week in December 22. There’s not a ton of availability at Disney between now and February 1. If I wouldn’t have to pull kids out of school I would just find a way to use them, but I can’t. 😔
Leave the kids lol. I say that as a joke but I just did it last month.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
As far as I know you have to call. I’ve never heard of it being done online.
How annoying.
Maybe I’m just young enough that I expect to be able to do it quickly and easily online…? I’ll call after the first if I can’t find someone to use the points.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I’ll keep checking availability and texting everyone I know to see if they want to go to florida for a few days. Seems like someone should say yes, but most of the people I know have young kids and aren’t traveling right now. If that fails I’ll call DVC in Jan and see if I can move them to interval.

zapple

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I’ll keep checking availability and texting everyone I know to see if they want to go to florida for a few days. Seems like someone should say yes, but most of the people I know have young kids and aren’t traveling right now. If that fails I’ll call DVC in Jan and see if I can move them to interval.
The current rule for moving them to rci is it has to be done 45 days before the end of your use year, so you’re already past that. I assume the same rule applies to Interval but you should call now to ask.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
The current rule for moving them to rci is it has to be done 45 days before the end of your use year, so you’re already past that. I assume the same rule applies to Interval but you should call now to ask.
Ah! Thanks. That makes sense. I’ll call anyway, but I’ll push harder to find someone to use them.

I understand her rather let them expire than bother with the tax mess, and maybe having to get a professional ta prepare to do her taxes to correctly handle the rental income. As you have said, there is not DVC availability left between now and Jan 31. But maybe whoever takes them can use them at the extras collection--WDW resort hotels. It is a high use of points, but still better than just letting them expire. I don't know if that would require your mom to make the arrangements. If so, she probably would not want to. Just a thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom