Opening Magic Kingdom

mrssparrow

A kingdom full of endless dreams for every girl and boy

wonderous lands of make believe, to fill your heart with joy

A castle leads the entrance way to seven lands and more

step inside our story book, imagine what's in store!!!!!

I love the welcome medley!

Ok, I love my ringtone!!!!

by far, I would have to say MK's opening is the best. We have never been chosen. I make my husband wake up super early on the MK days to see this!

VT GAL

Here are a few pictures from the opening in May:

232323232%7Ffp333%3Enu%3D3246%3E566%3E567%3EWSNRCG%3D3232%3A6797666%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C%3Dot%3E2337%3D657%3D658%3DXROQDF%3E2323976%3A66575ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp%3B8%3Dot%3E2337%3D657%3D658%3DXROQDF%3E2323976%3A65%3B82ot1lsi

Enjoy!!! It was so awesome to watch!!!

DAKOTADISNEY

This may sound like a silly question but if you and your family are chosen to either open one of the parks or be Grand Marshalls do they take a picture of you doing these things? I ask because if we were selected there wouldn't be anyone there to capture the moment on camera for us. It sounds like an awesome experience.

jessfriends

I remember when my family and my uncle's family went to WDW together in 2001. It was my cousin's b-day. I think she was about 10 years old. I think she asked her dad if she could ask to be picked since it was her birthday and they said yes. That's all I remember. I don't recall what she actually did...:eek:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I have also read reports that sometimes it helps to be on the train tour if you want to open the Magic Kingdom. Reportedly, they've routinely picked people from that to do it.

mousebymarriage

I'm not sure how it works at MK but, when we went in April my DS age 5 was picked to be the Big Kahuna at Typhoon Lagoon. We were at TL about an hour before it opened(my DH has to be early for everything). We were online and one of the life guards (a super sweet girl named Megan) was talking to us and spent a lot of time talking and joking around with my son. Anyway, she asked him if he would like the very important job of being the Big Kahuna and helping her open the park for the day. We were let into the park about 15-30 minutes before everyone else, he was then given a medal that said "Typhoon Lagoon, Big Kahuna of the day!" A photographer took tons of pictures of us , especially my son. We were then given a full tour of the park, and the lifeguards all made an over head "bridge" thing that we had to walk through while they cheered, before they could proceed to their posts for the day. We then were taken to our special seating area reserved only for the Big Kahuna (it is right in front of the wave pool and is roped off, it has a table with an umbrella, chairs and a few lounge chairs too. It has a sign that says "Area reserved for the Big Kahuna". There is a box that contains the button to start the wave pool, the park doesn't open until the Big Kahuna reaches his area and pushes the button to start the wave pool. My son LOVED it! He also got a free refillable mug, (my DD also got one), 4 free towel rentals, a free large locker, the medal saying he was the Big Kahuna, a certificate and his personal favorite, 2 dozen mini donuts! The photographer followed him around for a few hours and all the life guards and staff were so sweet to him and called him the Big Kahuna everytime they saw him! He had a BLAST!

Lunamis

We got picked to open up Disney when I was about 14. It was my dad, mom, little sister and I. I don't know why they picked us but we were taken in front of the gates at the TTC and told to stand to the side and when they were ready they counted down and we let a banner drop. It was kinda funny because they told us to either stay on the side or run because the crowds come at you fast.
They let us ride at the front of the monorail afterwards.
At EPCOT once, a CM at Wilderness Lodge told us it was an early opening day, and it was not, so we were the first ones waiting at the gates. We went to the only open ticket booth, looking confused as to why we were alone and found out we came early for nothing. They must have followed us through the park once the gates opened because when we were waiting for them to drop the ropes in front of SSE they let us in first and gave us fastpasses to Test Track, and VIP seating for Illuminations.
Both things really made those trips magical. Disney is the best at doing small things to make you feel welcome. :D

righttrack

They do take a special picture of you for opening.

Being selected is really based on talking to the CMs up front, while you are waiting. Celebrating your birthday (and wearing the pin) helps too.

camithepirate

All those stories are great!

i cant believe i never knew about that, but that sounds like a great thing to watch. I'll have to kick my familys butt in gear next time we're there in the morning, so we can get thier early.

KingStefan

What do they do at the Epcot opening?

I've not been recently. Years ago, a big, goofy bus with characters drove up just past SSE and greeted everyone after rope drop, but they don't do that anymore.

A few years ago, I seem to remember asking on one of the boards, and they had a test track car with a clown or something that led a "rope parade" down to the test track area, and I think some similar things to lead the crowd in other directions, but I can't find that thread anymore.

Anyway, some recent posts seem to indicate that there is just a countdown and a rope drop now, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Sorry for rambling. It's been a long day!

jessfriends

I'm not sure how it works at MK but, when we went in April my DS age 5 was picked to be the Big Kahuna at Typhoon Lagoon. We were at TL about an hour before it opened(my DH has to be early for everything). We were online and one of the life guards (a super sweet girl named Megan) was talking to us and spent a lot of time talking and joking around with my son. Anyway, she asked him if he would like the very important job of being the Big Kahuna and helping her open the park for the day. We were let into the park about 15-30 minutes before everyone else, he was then given a medal that said "Typhoon Lagoon, Big Kahuna of the day!" A photographer took tons of pictures of us , especially my son. We were then given a full tour of the park, and the lifeguards all made an over head "bridge" thing that we had to walk through while they cheered, before they could proceed to their posts for the day. We then were taken to our special seating area reserved only for the Big Kahuna (it is right in front of the wave pool and is roped off, it has a table with an umbrella, chairs and a few lounge chairs too. It has a sign that says "Area reserved for the Big Kahuna". There is a box that contains the button to start the wave pool, the park doesn't open until the Big Kahuna reaches his area and pushes the button to start the wave pool. My son LOVED it! He also got a free refillable mug, (my DD also got one), 4 free towel rentals, a free large locker, the medal saying he was the Big Kahuna, a certificate and his personal favorite, 2 dozen mini donuts! The photographer followed him around for a few hours and all the life guards and staff were so sweet to him and called him the Big Kahuna everytime they saw him! He had a BLAST!

Great story! That sounds so awesome! I had no idea that even took place!:eek:

LoriMistress

What do you actually get to do? Is this just a magic Kingdom thing? I have never been to a park "Before" opening I never saw the point, I had no clue there was an event taking place to do, it sounds really neat.

No, they do this for other parks as well. DH and I got to open MGM when we were on our honeymoon back in 2003. We chatted up with a wondeful CM. He was telling us how his daughter lives around where we live. He went to the side, talked to a CM, and came back and said that we could open the parks early because we were on our honeymoon. We were the first people in the parks. We got some nice pictures taken of us with no one in MGM. And we got to "official" open the parks. It was nice. We got spotted throughout the day. You have to be there at opening (DH and I would arrive at the parks at 7:45am to wait at the gates.) Sometimes CM would go out of their ways to let us enter the parks early to eat at a breakfast CM that we never had ADRs for. Just have to be there at the right place at the right time.

47b4df31b3127cce9a926f6490a300000025108EbOG7Jo3a0

47b4df31b3127cce9a926f67119000000025108EbOG7Jo3a0

47b4df31b3127cce9a926f65119200000026108EbOG7Jo3a0

47b4df31b3127cce9a926f6090a700000026108EbOG7Jo3a0

CThaddeus

I've not been recently. Years ago, a big, goofy bus with characters drove up just past SSE and greeted everyone after rope drop, but they don't do that anymore.

A few years ago, I seem to remember asking on one of the boards, and they had a test track car with a clown or something that led a "rope parade" down to the test track area, and I think some similar things to lead the crowd in other directions, but I can't find that thread anymore.

Anyway, some recent posts seem to indicate that there is just a countdown and a rope drop now, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Sorry for rambling. It's been a long day!

When I was there in December, a family was selected to ride in the Test Track car and was driven past the ropes as you mentioned. There weren't any clowns, but there were quite a few Disney characters. Each Park has its own opening celebration. I made it a point in December to be there for all of them. Next month, I intend to get there even earlier so I can get a good spot to videotape them.

Gorjus

This may sound like a silly question but if you and your family are chosen to either open one of the parks or be Grand Marshalls do they take a picture of you doing these things? I ask because if we were selected there wouldn't be anyone there to capture the moment on camera for us. It sounds like an awesome experience.

For MK, unless it is early morning EMH, yes a photographer is assigned to photograph you during the ceremony and later at a private photo op with Mickey. You are also given a coupon for a free 5x7.

MGM has a fun opening ceremony.

Typhoon Lagoon has "The Big Kahuna"

Blizzard Beach has "Ski Captain"

AK has a ceremony, but I've not seen a family participate in it.

Last I checked, Epcot was the weakest in this area.

I know that for the water parks, you simply have to be the first family there, and yes it helps to have children. However, sometimes no one shows up early enough to do the park tour so it is skipped. Water parks also has a photographer follow you around for the tours.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Epcot's opening has a family ride in the Test Track car- there were no clowns, but there were lots of characters- Chip and Dale were on one side of Innoventions, and Goofy and Pluto were on the other. The family drove in on the car, we all counted down, then the CM's on each side of Innoventions walked the rope to wherever you were going (I was on the Soarin' side). It's far less elaborate then MK, but still fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom