Opening Day at Epcot's Flower & Garden Festival 2013

Hello and welcome to this local's solo jaunt to opening day of the 2013 Flower and Garden Festival.​
Let me preface this by saying that I had no intention of going to opening day. I was sitting in an education inservice training (which is located at our school board building, right off 1-95) and, while perusing the Disney Food Blog and other related Disney blogs (Twitter, Instagram, and the like), I had a wonderful thought. "Why not just pop on over to the park? It's only a 45 minute drive, it's a BEAUTIFUL day, and lo and behold, I've got my Annual Pass in my wallet!" (It's usually not.)​
The class ended around 3:30- I stopped for gas and a Starbuck's iced coffee and with that, I was off. I arrived at Epcot around 4:30, parked and walked to the entrance. This was just before Daylight Savings Time, so the sun was starting to get low in the sky, which made it tough to take good pictures (for this iPhone novice).​
I wanted to go to Festival Center (mostly to see the new Vera Bradley/Disney patterns!) but it had just closed at 5. Instead, I headed to one of my favorite bathrooms in the hallway by the character meet and greets, behind Club Cool, and made my way to the butterfly garden.​
(I don't know any of those people, I just like the chains you have to walk through to get in- reminds me of the beaded curtains in doorways in the 70's. I had one in my room as a kid, too ;))​
Unfortunately, there weren't any butterflies out- it was a chilly day. There were these neat little fairy huts made out of organic materials:​
And lots of chrysalises waiting to 'bloom.'​
After a short stay in the butterfly garden, I walked along the pathway next to the Oz playground and waited about 10 minutes for this shot:​
After that, I wandered through the herb garden. I would LOVE to grow herbs and greens. This whole area made my mouth water.​
Look how delicious!!! I just want to saute these bad boys up with some garlic, oil, red pepper flake and lemon juice! Drool.​
Mmm, beets.​
Beautiful AND tasty!​

Nemo14

I was there that day too, and I'm pretty sure I see me in one of your photos!
biggrin.gif

GatorAsh

Original Poster
Next, I headed into the World Showcase. I stopped at one of the Rinse kiosk and ended up getting a few bars of soap (Amber Ginger, Patchouli and Sandalwood, and Peony). Okay, now for something I know you like to see... food pictures! But before we get to those, here's a picture of a highly divisive Disney personality- Duffy! Love him or loathe him, you've gotta admit he's pretty cute dressed up in his gardening duds.​

From there I went to the Pineapple Promenade for a Dole Whip with Siesta Key Spiced Rum.​

Like I said, it was really chilly (not just to this thin-blooded Floridian; everyone was saying how freezing they were!) but this place was hoppin'! I asked the Cast Member how many of these she had sold so far, and she said she had lost count.​
It was tasty, and the rum sure packed a punch! When I'd get a mouthful with a blend of the ice cream and the rum, it was delicious. You could hardly taste the rum. But when I'd get a higher rum to ice cream ratio on my spoon, whoo! It was shocking! Shocking, but good! ;)
After getting every last drop out of my cup, I meandered back to Showcase Plaza to look at the Festival Guide and map out my plan. It was cold, but look at that gorgeous blue sky and fantastic palm trees. I love Florida!!​
I was amazed at how uncrowded it was for it being the first day of the Flower and Garden Festival. BUT, it was a Wednesday, so maybe that had something to do with it.​
Where are the crowds? (Not that I'm complaining.:p)​

My next stop was the Florida Fresh kiosk to try the Watermelon Salad with pickled Red Onions, BW Farms Baby Arugula,Feta Cheese and Balsamic Reduction, Shrimp and Stone Ground Grits with Andouille Sausage, Zellwood Corn, Tomatoes and Cilantro and some Tomato Wine.​

Good, good, GOOD!!! The shrimp and grits were really yummy, warm, and quite filling. The grits had diced pieces of andouille sausage mixed in, which added a nice flavor and spice. But the watermelon salad- holy cow! It knocked my socks flip flops off! The watermelon was ripe and juicy, not mealy or pithy at all. The pickled red onions added a nice bit of sour into the mix, the arugula was fresh and crunchy and the feta sent it all over the top with a distinct sharp creaminess. Ahhh, it was so so good! I'm getting this again, for sure!​
Now onto the tomato wine. It was... different. The cast member likened it to tasting like a bloody mary, and it kind of did. In fact, here's the description from it's website: A very smooth dry white wine with a slight tomato taste and a hint of peppers. Serve with crackers and cheese, oysters, shrimp, nachos, enchiladas, snacks, salads and bread. If you like "Bloody Mary's" you're going to love Hot Sun Tomato wine!
It might have been the combination of the Dole whip rum float and the wine, but I was feeling pretty good by then :confused:
I decided to walk to Mexico. In all my times there, I've never really looked at the artifacts and exhibits inside the pavilion. It was really interesting! And can I just say how much I love that pavilion? Any place that looks like you're outside when you're actually inside is okay by me. (There has to be a term for that. Let me Google it... be back in a second.) Whelp, there isn't anything that I could find. Anyone out there know what it could be? Maybe I'll make something up.​
Anyway, if I did make up a term for it, this is the picture that would accompany it in the dictionary:​

THIS guy enjoyed the tomato wine!​

See his jacket?! Cold, I tell ya!
These were on sale for $7.99! When I was here again this past weekend (March 14), there were only two left! And guess who got 'em?!? ;)

Valentines and F&G Disney trips by GatorAsh11, on Flickr
There was some great merchandise in Mexico; these really great leather belts, cute white cotton blouses, pretty Mexican dresses, colorful ponchos (which were selling like hot cakes due to the cold weather) and bags, nice leather goods, and more. I'm thinking of doing a 'Shopping the World Showcase' series featuring all of the neat things to buy in each country...​
Whenever I leave that pavilion, I always take the wheelchair/stroller ramp down the side of the building because I like looking at all of the air plants and greenery along the way. Here's a picture:​

Well this time, it was HEAVENLY! There were orchids everywhere- it was just beautiful.​

GatorAsh

Original Poster
I made a pit stop in Norway and came outside to this beautiful scene:​

I continued around the World Showcase Lagoon and stopped at the tea stand in China for a hot green tea. It hit the spot and fueled me to continue around the world in the now-low-40-degree temperatures.​

I finished my tea just in time to try out the Savory Bread Pudding with Spring Peas and Wild Mushroom Ragout at Bauernmarkt: Farmer's Market in Germany. Be warned, the picture looks GROSS!​

It didn't taste as bad as it looks- but it didn't taste great, either. The bread was too firm (I was hoping for more of a 'stuffing/dressing' like consistency, and the mushrooms were kind of slimy. The gravy was good, but I won't be ordering this again.​
I walked over to Italy and ended up taking tons of pictures of the fantastic planters. Just like a herb/greens garden, I would LOVE to have a container garden in my yard.​

By then, it was getting kind of late, and I had a bit of a drive home AND had to get up early to teach the next morning, so I started motoring toward Spaceship Earth. I did make a stop in the America pavilion and bought a cute ringer shirt, then headed to Mousegear to find a cute Easter plush to send to my nieces. Remember how I said it was so uncrowded? Well, I know why-everyone was in Mousegear! It was a zoo. I battled the crowds and found a few more shirts to try on, and in the process I tried on the shirt I had bought in America. It didn't fit well at all, so thankfully the tags were still on and I was able to exchange it for this cutie:​

I then debated between these two cute plushes for my nieces; guess which one I ended up getting?​

The Mickey and Minnie eggs ended up coming home with me! They zip up, and you can even remove Mickey and Minnie completely from the egg! Aren't they sweet?​
I also got a few CD's to make the drive more enjoyable, then headed home. All in all, it was a really enjoyable time. I like doing the parks on my own, and the Flower and Garden Festival never disappoints. I'll continue to update this thread with F&G Fest visits, so keep reading! Thanks.​

DisneyPrincess5

Aww loving this. We've gone for the Flower and Garden Festival for the past two years, but not this year to make way for our Disneymoon in the Fall. We're missing it now since its still so cold at home :(

disneygirl1024

We were there at the beginning of this month and I absolutely loved it. Since we have dvc now It will be a most definite do every year. We bought the thumper stuffed animals for our dogs. They love them! Thanks for the pics! I hope they do the food and drink kiosks every year! I enjoyed the rum dole whip waaaayyyy too much! And yes if there is rum at the bottom with little ice cream....wow!!!

GatorAsh

Original Poster
Aww loving this. We've gone for the Flower and Garden Festival for the past two years, but not this year to make way for our Disneymoon in the Fall. We're missing it now since its still so cold at home :(

Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry you have to miss the F&G this year, but it will all be SO worth it when you're here on your DISNEYMOON!!! I have family and friends up north (not sure where you are exactly, but you mention the cold) and they are complaining the lack of 'spring.' Yes, it gets really hot here in the summer, but I love living in Florida- being so close to Disney is just icing on the cake!

LOL - No - I'm in one of your monorail pics. And you're right - it was cold that day!

Ohh I was looking at the people on the monorail in the pictures thinking what a great view they had from up there. Hello! *wave*

We were there at the beginning of this month and I absolutely loved it. Since we have dvc now It will be a most definite do every year. We bought the thumper stuffed animals for our dogs. They love them! Thanks for the pics! I hope they do the food and drink kiosks every year! I enjoyed the rum dole whip waaaayyyy too much! And yes if there is rum at the bottom with little ice cream....wow!!!

You lucky ducks and your DVC- where is your home resort? I love February/March at Disney World.

I think they will carry the food kiosks over next year; they seem to be proving to be quite popular. I still have SO many to try!!

disneygirl1024

Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry you have to miss the F&G this year, but it will all be SO worth it when you're here on your DISNEYMOON!!! I have family and friends up north (not sure where you are exactly, but you mention the cold) and they are complaining the lack of 'spring.' Yes, it gets really hot here in the summer, but I love living in Florida- being so close to Disney is just icing on the cake!

Ohh I was looking at the people on the monorail in the pictures thinking what a great view they had from up there. Hello! *wave*

You lucky ducks and your DVC- where is your home resort? I love February/March at Disney World.

I think they will carry the food kiosks over next year; they seem to be proving to be quite popular. I still have SO many to try!!

AKV

Raven66

Enjoyed the report and all the pictures. Can you get the dole whip with rum all the time or is it just for Flower and Garden?

GatorAsh

Original Poster
Enjoyed the report and all the pictures. Can you get the dole whip with rum all the time or is it just for Flower and Garden?
Thanks for reading and commenting! I haven't seen it available anywhere before, and I imagine they'll keep it just for Flower and Garden so it stays something of a novelty. But I could be wrong...

GatorAsh

Original Poster
The following is NOT from opening day, but I figured I'd post all of my Flower and Garden-specific photos on this thread. I went with my older brother and his family to the parks last weekend (St. Pat's weekend) to celebrate his 40th and my nieces 10th birthday. We did all four parks and went to Epcot on Sunday for lunch at Via Napoli and to see some of the Festival. After a big lunch, we moseyed around World Showcase and made a stop at the LOTUS HOUSE food kiosk in China to try the Beijing-Style Candied Strawberries:​
Here's my niece in her pink fuzzy ears and my sister-in-law placing their order.​

The display is obviously fake- here is what the actual product looks like:​

Note the sesame seeds on top- they added a distinct sesame flavor, but actually worked really well with the sweet fruit and candy topping. Just be aware that they're there...​
Amelia about to take a bite:​

My berry- not the prettiest photo, as some of the candy shell had come off. But it tasted yummy!​

After that, we went to Mexico to visit the tequila cave and do a little shopping (more photos and details of that to come in my St. Pat's/Birthday TR). The kids had been really patient till then but were getting antsy, so I suggested we go to the Oz playground so they could get some energy out. The turf grass is really soft and squishy, and the adults were really enjoying taking a break...​

While the kids were having a blast...​

That's all I have Flower and Garden specific, but I'm heading over tomorrow, so stay tuned! You can also get 'live' updates from my Instagram: disneyfiedash​

Sumrdog

Thank you for posting this! I loved the pictures, I am a crazy vegetable gardener! I think I should plant the pretty cabbages and chard along my walkway.

GatorAsh

Original Poster
Thank you for posting this! I loved the pictures, I am a crazy vegetable gardener! I think I should plant the pretty cabbages and chard along my walkway.
You're so welcome- thanks for reading! Yes, the cabbage and chard are so ornamental, but tasty, too!
Oh! I just read your TR on the DISboards yesterday! (I saw your TR in your signature, then looked at your profile pic and realized it was YOU! :)) Great job with the TR and the run!!

TheMouseFan

Great pics!! It is my goal to get to the Flower and Garden Festival one day, so until then, I love looking at pics from other people's trips. I'm intrigued by the mention of Vera Bradley and Disney patterns. I didn't know there was such a thing. The peony soap sounds interesting too! I love the shirt you bought! Hopefully, they'll still have them whenever I get back down there. Can't wait to see more pics!

GatorAsh

Original Poster
Great pics!! It is my goal to get to the Flower and Garden Festival one day, so until then, I love looking at pics from other people's trips. I'm intrigued by the mention of Vera Bradley and Disney patterns. I didn't know there was such a thing. The peony soap sounds interesting too! I love the shirt you bought! Hopefully, they'll still have them whenever I get back down there. Can't wait to see more pics!
Thanks for reading and commenting! I went on Sunday, so more pics to come soon, including the Vera designs. They're very cute. I didn't know about them until a few weeks ago. Now if they could just collaborate with Lilly Pulitzer, I'd be one happy girl. I forgot to take a picture of the soaps when I bought them, but got one the other day so you can see it. It smells great.
Isn't that shirt cute? I imagine they'll have it when you're there next; it's been there a while. I'm going to read your TR's while I'm on Spring Break :)

Zipadeelady

Two words....JEAL....OUS! ;) Loved the report! So envious that you can head on over to a park after a day of work. But glad that you can so I get to read your reports. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom