Oogie Boogie Bash Cancelled for 2020 at DCA

TP2000

Original Poster
In sort of surprising news that isn't that surprising, the big Halloween extra-cost party at DCA has been cancelled for 2020. These parties generally start in late September and run through October 31st two or three nights per week. From the OC Register...

"It’s only July but it’s already looking like the COVID-19 pandemic is going to ruin Halloween as Disneyland and Universal Studios Hollywood have been forced to cancel their lucrative seasonal events that bring hordes of haunt-happy fans to the Southern California theme parks.

The Oogie Boogie Bash separate-admission event at Disney California Adventure will not return this Halloween season as Disneyland awaits theme park guidelines that have yet to be released by the state, according to Disneyland officials."

Also of note is that Universal Studios has cancelled its Halloween Horror Nights events as it also awaits "guidance" from Sacramento on when they might be able to reopen their park.

That leaves Knott's Berry Farm as the last remaining Halloween event in SoCal, as the theme park that I believe started the entire Halloween night industry with it's Knott's Scary Farm event in the 1970's. It's been said that Knott's makes the majority of its annual profits from Knott's Scary Farm, so the thought of not having that this year must be horrifying for Knott's executives, pardon the pun. :eek:

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Awww crap...
:(

Not surprising, but still sad to see it cancelled.
I was JUST thinking about this event yesterday and wondering when they will announce a decision.

-

TP2000

Original Poster
Oops. I see our friend @Askimosita already posted this info in the official DLR thread here. So sorry!

But we can discuss the cancellation of Oogie Boogie Bash, plus the other SoCal Halloween events racking up in the cancelled column, here.

TP2000

Original Poster
I hope this is the end of upcharge parties as we have seen, instead incorporate Halloween into the daily schedule and make it available for everyone.

I don't know, the darn things are so incredibly popular. The tickets sell out for every single night weeks and weeks in advance. There's clearly a market for these events. I think its all a bit silly myself, but it's a thing now.

But in 2020, they just can't do them without an operating theme park to do them in.

waltography

I was surprised how much I loved OBB last year. Sad it's not coming back this year, but I'm not surprised.

Even if DL reopens before the year's end, I'm not expecting any seasonal overlays through the end of the year, to be honest. I'll be surprised if they decorate for the holidays this year.

cmwade77

I was surprised how much I loved OBB last year. Sad it's not coming back this year, but I'm not surprised.

Even if DL reopens before the year's end, I'm not expecting any seasonal overlays through the end of the year, to be honest. I'll be surprised if they decorate for the holidays this year.
Actually, I would be surprised if small world doesn't open as the Holiday version, it is by far more popular and can handle large amounts of people while still socially distancing, so do what will draw more people to it.

Not sure about Haunted Mansion, I can see that going either way.

smooch

I've always heard how popular the Halloween events are, I hope to make it one day to an event (if they continue doing them) but we'll just have to wait and see. I saw people on Twitter a week or two ago saying stuff along the lines of "Everyone needs to start wearing their masks already so we don't lose Halloween this year" as if that wasn't already decided by now. I'm not near Anaheim so I've never gone to like a Universal Horror Nights or Disney Halloween event but I am pretty sad I'm gonna have to miss me and my friends going to a haunted house and carving pumpkins (we can probably still do that part) and having a good time out and about on Halloween. Looks like I'll probably just bring a bag of candy and some decorations to my girlfriend's new apartment and visit her and watch some scary movies instead.

I would like to see events like these go away honestly and see aspects of it added to the park for all guests and not upcharging, but I understand why Disney does it, gotta get all the money they can. I just wish Disney would do things to add to the experience in the park that isn't all about money like these events or the two non-ride experiences in GE being $100 and $200 to experience, trying to make Instagrammable food to buy, etc.

waltography

Actually, I would be surprised if small world doesn't open as the Holiday version, it is by far more popular and can handle large amounts of people while still socially distancing, so do what will draw more people to it.

Not sure about Haunted Mansion, I can see that going either way.
I think that's exactly why I see it the other way! 😂 I don't see a need for them to draw as many people as possible when they'll likely be opening at 10-20% of park capacity at most, which DL will have no problem hitting with all the locals itching to go. No need to spend any more than they need to to attract people.

Will be pleasantly surprised if they do come back with holiday decor - I love the parks during the holidays.

socalifornian

I've always heard how popular the Halloween events are, I hope to make it one day to an event (if they continue doing them) but we'll just have to wait and see. I saw people on Twitter a week or two ago saying stuff along the lines of "Everyone needs to start wearing their masks already so we don't lose Halloween this year" as if that wasn't already decided by now. I'm not near Anaheim so I've never gone to like a Universal Horror Nights or Disney Halloween event but I am pretty sad I'm gonna have to miss me and my friends going to a haunted house and carving pumpkins (we can probably still do that part) and having a good time out and about on Halloween. Looks like I'll probably just bring a bag of candy and some decorations to my girlfriend's new apartment and visit her and watch some scary movies instead.

I would like to see events like these go away honestly and see aspects of it added to the park for all guests and not upcharging, but I understand why Disney does it, gotta get all the money they can. I just wish Disney would do things to add to the experience in the park that isn't all about money like these events or the two non-ride experiences in GE being $100 and $200 to experience, trying to make Instagrammable food to buy, etc.
I like Horror Nights and Scary Farm. I’ve never found the Disney Parks lineup to be worth it, especially at DLR where it already has a strong dose of Halloween for daytime guests. MK has a weaker daytime lineup so I feel kind of bad for the guests who don’t attend the upcharge, same with Christmas. It would be nice if they went to Yesterland, but since I know they won’t permanently discontinue them I’m glad DLR is more accommodating

MarvelCharacterNerd

I've only been to two of these type of events - MNSSHP at WDW a few years ago and OBB last year. I think I liked OBB more - but I also think it's more geared towards 'big kids'. :)

At MNSSHP, I loved the Boo to You Parade and think it's better than the one at OBB simply because it's longer with more floats, characters and choreography. But the parade at OBB was terrific, if short. At MNSSHP, the CM's also passed out these terrific Mickey cherry lollipops to all the guests while watching the parade. Loved those and can't find them anywhere anymore (think they used to be sold as packaged candy?)

At MNSSHP, I loved the Headless Horseman - who wasn't at full gallop when I saw him but a pretty decent paced trot vs. a slower walk at OBB.

At MNSSHP, I loved the chance to see the Cadaver Dans, who don't appear at OBB because it's at DCA, not DL. To me that was the biggest loss in moving from DL to DCA - no Cadaver Dans. AFAIK, they didn't even have them out at the hotels or at HM like they have occasionally in the past during non-party hours.

I also liked the villains stage show they ran at MNSSHP (before the current Hocus Pocus one) where the villains came out and met guests afterward.

But OBB had awesome rare characters (Cheshire Cat, Burton Mad Hatter, Oogie Boogie) along with great meet & greet rare characters and the interactive spots with villains along the treat trails.

And WAY BETTER CANDY/trick or treating. At MNSSHP, it was like they gave me the smallest amount possible. I literally wound up with less than half a paper lunch bag of candy at the end of the night there after doing all the trails. That was super disappointing. Candy handouts and choices including non-candy options were fantastic at OBB and I wound up with a bag full of candy (not a huge bag, just the paper one, but a bag full at least!).

At OBB I didn't bother with WOC as I've never enjoyed that show in any incarnation. And I was underwhelmed by the pretty but pointless Grove walkthrough though many seemed to like it.

But overall, I was not inclined to return to MNSSHP any time urgently, whereas I was definitely planning on attending OBB again this year. Ah well... hopefully next year!

Also, the park move from DL to DCA allowed Halloween Screams to be available to the general park public which I thought was a definite win! They just need to bring back the Cadaver Dans, too!

waltography

Surprised "Villain's Grove" isn't discussed often, it was very popular last year.
Loved Villain's Grove! It very nearly was worth the admission for the party for me; I'd been longing to see Disney try out a maze concept, and it had the right atmosphere for someone like me who doesn't like scares.

Hope there's a chance by next year we might see the RSR Halloween overlay that was teased a bit last year; even then, the Halloween offerings at DCA with Cars Land + Monsters After Dark were nice.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Oops. I see our friend @Askimosita already posted this info in the official DLR thread here. So sorry!

But we can discuss the cancellation of Oogie Boogie Bash, plus the other SoCal Halloween events racking up in the cancelled column, here.

No worries, my friend! Didn’t know a proper thread to post the info in, but glad you started one 👍🏻

It’s disappointing, but it makes me wonder if these parks will do something during the day for this. I’m sure it’s hard to justify a hundred dollar separate admission when there can’t be any shows and there must be limited ability for photo ops with characters... and probably the concept of trick or treating is a no-no at the moment. But I hope they maybe do a simple transition to the evening into some Halloween themed things. Just a few “extras” for those in the parks, because I imagine it would be limited attendance like the Florida parks are and like the Halloween events typically are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom